• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

High School - What It's Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverChromeX

Emmy-Chan
Reaction score
High School Never Ends

= * =

High School Discussion Thread

= * =

I figured that I'd create a High School Discussion thread that will follow the Puberty Discussion thread. There are those on here who are not yet in high school or whatever you call it over in Europe/Asia/etc (if anyone wants to remind me what it is, PM me xD I won't be a stereotypical, ignorant American in this thread). Unfortunately, the stuff you see on TV isn't always true and you won't always experience things everyone else does. Yes, you can experience what they do, but sometimes you won't and guess what - it isn't the end of the world.

Anyone who is in High School or has been, will be able to provide an idea in this thread. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. People make it a big deal what High School is and it in my opinion is just another continuation of school years. Also, this is where you can rant about High School, discuss how yours functions, rag on teachers, and I GUESS discuss senior pranks.​

My High School wasn't very different from my Elementary School (this is the name, right?). Things really change when you get into the university, I guess.

High School's fun when you play sports during the year. It helps you get to know upperclassmen if you're an underclassman. It gets you more friends, if you're a loner.

High school was exciting (graduating this month), I had a blast each year and made alot of friends. One thing I do advise anyone who reads this is to get involved in extra-curricular activities like music, sports, etc. you can meet alot of people that way. Enjoy it and have fun, I certaintly did :D

My advice: Do all the work. It is very important to have a decent GPA for college.

If you are an introvert, you are most likely going to hate it. Extroverts tend to enjoy it.

The good thing is that since it is bigger, you can make more friends, or at least find someone like you.

I loved high school (up until the last two months, that is). Yeah, it's hard work, but it's also tons of fun. Enjoy it while it lasts, because before you know it, it'll be all over. I was happy to graduate, but at the same time I miss it a lot. So don't take it for granted and take each day as it comes.

In fact, I think I had my best friends in the High School. The adult world has plenty of liars and competitive people pursuing money at all costs.

My High School wasn't very different from my Elementary School (this is the name, right?). Things really change when you get into the university, I guess.

Yesh, my friend ~ sometimes people will remember you as who you are in Elementary versus if you were to be someone different. Yes, Elementary is the correct word. I'm not too sure if things change. I would say so in the fact that now you are grown up for the most part, you have developed into the person that you are (who will grow through everyone else around you throughout the rest of your life). No one is up and down with hormones. You may not even be facing the same problems as someone else does. College could be the time when people bring out their true colors. Found out via college that my brother needs help. =/

High School's fun when you play sports during the year. It helps you get to know upperclassmen if you're an underclassman. It gets you more friends, if you're a loner.

High School is fun when you get involved to do stuff and then you can get known. I got into clubs and I am a loner, but I get just the ordinary school friends. :p

High school was exciting (graduating this month), I had a blast each year and made alot of friends. One thing I do advise anyone who reads this is to get involved in extra-curricular activities like music, sports, etc. you can meet alot of people that way. Enjoy it and have fun, I certaintly did :D

Congratulations! :D I'm graduating next May (er, May 2012). I like that everyone agrees that it is best to get into extra-curricular activities. Not for the fact it helps with grades or whatever those commercials say. The fact that they get you to know more people and to make more friends. You have to do stuff together and be around each other. :D

My advice: Do all the work. It is very important to have a decent GPA for college.

If you are an introvert, you are most likely going to hate it. Extroverts tend to enjoy it.

The good thing is that since it is bigger, you can make more friends, or at least find someone like you.

It is better to do all your work.
Better to not turn in things late.
If you don't turn stuff in, you'll either:
A) Procrastinate not doing it until you never ever turn it in
B) Turn it in late

Oh! TAKE NOTES!
Even IF teachers don't say anything - TAKE NOTES!
Especially in Math and English
Sometimes you can get by in Chemistry

I loved high school (up until the last two months, that is). Yeah, it's hard work, but it's also tons of fun. Enjoy it while it lasts, because before you know it, it'll be all over. I was happy to graduate, but at the same time I miss it a lot. So don't take it for granted and take each day as it comes.

I will miss it myself I have to say.
I didn't go through any drama. So I was a lucky person.

In fact, I think I had my best friends in the High School. The adult world has plenty of liars and competitive people pursuing money at all costs.

I have yet to have a best friend. :p xD

Well my Grade 9 year is almost done and I guess it wasn't bad. I've been struggling with two subjects, math and science, but everything else wasn't too hard. I gotta say, the workload is a lot lighter than that of Grade 8.

If there's one piece of advice I can give, it's this: if you've tried to figure out something yourself and you really don't understand it, ask for help. I know a lot of people (including myself, sometimes) who don't ask for help because the class was working on the topic for a couple days already and they didn't want to seem like they weren't paying attention the whole time. No. Don't do that. Just ask. It pays off in the end.

Don't procrastinate with studying for exams. I know it sounds so obvious, but everything really is tougher to sink in if you're still studying (as opposed to reviewing) like two days before. And on the day of the exam, don't talk about it and quiz each other or whatever with your friends beforehand. Information can get jumbled up in your head really easily if you try that.

High School is fun[my last year]!But in my case, my high school is full of competitions [grade competitions], sometimes it's full of happy and sad moments, or having friends and get together with them. Sometimes it's more on activities and about unfair/bias things happened in the school. Yeah, it's hard but you'll just have to enjoy it.

Do not make enemies of teachers - let them push you to grow even if your first instinct is "who are you to tell me what to do?". You'll appreciate it sooner or later and you'll realise you can never thank them enough for what they do (or should be doing?) for you, but it may take a while. Even at my small, 600 student secondary school people insisted on making enemies of everyone at some point or another but by the last two years teachers and students alike were pulling everyone through.

Enjoy it while it lasts; we get five years of it in England and then it's off to college for two years in most cases so we get even less of it. The first year is always crap, to be honest - everyone competes bitterly and everyone kisses up. Most of the time the people like me who were more introverted to start with will struggle to find friends and may be bullied. As you come out of your shell you'll probably find a great sense of community and almost a second family if you go to a good school - I'm grateful I went to such a small one as it was much more supportive and close-knit than bigger schools tend to be. Most people find their friends in the end - heck, it took me years of bullying from an early age before I stood up, refused to take it and made some brilliant friends who stood up beside me by the halfway mark of my second year. Don't think you'll never make friends; that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Get out there and talk, even if you start out with the other quiet guy/girl who seems a little left out like you. Your confidence will build.

Work out what's best for you academically. I really fly in exams even without revision and I suck at most coursework, for example, so work according to how your brain works best and where your strengths are - I revised by making a pin-neat coded folder for each of my favourite subjects because it indulged my perfectionism and need to be organised and redoing the pages 'til they were neat actually really drove the information into my brain - and this is coming from a lazy procrastinator.

Don't let work build up; by the time I got to 15, the serious procrastinators in year were struggling and developing health problems as a result. Example right here - I got an A and A* in English because I kept on top of it and found it easy but I got a high B in my favourite subject despite being predicted an A* because I left the coursework far too late and got a B on it, which then came to bite me when the exam was the hardest my teacher had ever seen and I didn't have that extra 10% or so backing me up. You'd be surprised how much the work through the year adds up and leaving it or dossing with it can take a big chunk out of your grades. Granted, in my case we had to redo two years of work in one year and that really disadvantaged us but these things aren't uncommon for various reasons and you really need to get your ass into gear to make the best of any situation.

Don't let other people doing better than you phase you or get you down; try your best because I can assure you there will be a good sense of camaraderie by exam season anyway when you and your friends are dragging each other through to the end. My friends got me through many, many problems and I never felt afraid to rely on them from time to time. It was a very valuable thing for me.

Try anything and everything you can. I've been camping twice, become a Prefect, created a small charity awareness campaign, planned our prom, been on the school council, been through work experience in a school nursery, made speeches to hundreds of people, visited the most amazing places in Berlin and Barcelona, had a mentor from one of the biggest companies in London, trained to mentor others with problems at home or school, visited Cambridge University (went punting, too!), designed and made costumes and sets for performances, had my artwork on display at the university Vivienne Westwood attended, helped design parts of an art festival and created events cards for a well-known performance company all over the course of three or four years through my secondary school. By the end of it many of us won awards for certain subjects, service to the school and a very particular one for embodying the qualities our school aimed for - myself included in each. School isn't just for "the clever ones" - I am by no means one of them compared to so many I know but the above has fulfilled me in its own way. Take every opportunity you can get - you'll be incredibly glad you did and you will leave your school both accomplished and fulfilled. You may just pick up some lifelong hobbies and tastes, too - through a Japanese club, taking Geography and Textiles and debating in Citizenship I've developed almost all of my current loves and interests and made my most treasured friends.

With all said and done, sometimes I think I'd give my right arm to go back there a little longer.

Last edited:
Im not in high school yet, in fact, I go there in September. From what i've heard, they make it out to be an amazing place. I don't really think I buy it. I mean, in the end, its just the same as Primary (Middle, Elemantary) school, just a bit bigger with different rules.

Im not in high school yet, in fact, I go there in September. From what i've heard, they make it out to be an amazing place. I don't really think I buy it. I mean, in the end, its just the same as Primary (Middle, Elemantary) school, just a bit bigger with different rules.

It's not, though. The social dynamics are entirely different and you have about ten times more on your plate and expected of you - at least compared to primary school with your average places. Without a middle school of some kind the jump is pretty big.

I absolutely loved high school. I went to a private prep school starting in 9th grade, and I think it made all the difference. I kept my public school friends, but was able to make so many new friends who were from different backgrounds since they weren't all just from my town. Inner city kids trying to get out, rich snobs, and international kids. The school was, and is so much of a community. I graduated 09, and still go back whenever I'm home. Was there last friday for graduation. It was a school where even though classes ended at 2:30 almost everyone stuck around until at least like 4. There was a sports requirement instead of having gym, so at least two sports seasons you were staying until 5 or so for practices anyway, and since practices didn't start until like 3 or 3:30 you were forced to just hang out. Or do work, but that wasn't really my style. I saved that for home.

I had terrific relationships with my teachers, and since only the freshmen from my senior year are left now I mostly go back to see the teachers. A teacher who started my senior year when he was right out of college and not so much older than us is now one of my best friends at home. I never even had him as a teacher, but the atmosphere of the school is so open i was able to build a friendship with him. I was friends with a lot of teachers I never had either from friends having them, or having them as coaches for sports.

For me I would definitely say I hit a lowpoint of high school sophomore year. I absolutely hated my chemistry teacher. That made the whole year awful. Also, my brother was two years ahead of me there. My brother's weird and not someone I want people to really associate me with, because we're so different, but having him there a lot of the upperclassmen judged me based on my brother, but he graduated after my sophomore year so from there I was able to become my own person much more. I also didn't take any AP classes junior year, which I know helped tremendously since so many kids junior year hated it because they were stacked with many much harder classes. And once you have a car high school becomes exponentially more fun. You can go out to lunch with friends, and stuff like that. And of course you're so much more free to hang out since you don't need your parents to drive you everywhere. My social life definitely improved even more after getting my license.

And of course the work's important, but it's just as important to have a social life. Colleges can tell, and they want real people, not people who don't have friends because all they did was read books. Your college essay has to be about something compelling enough for them to want you, and its easier to have something interesting to write about if you actually do stuff. Take advantage of the summer. Don't just sit in your house playing video games and surfing the internet. That doesn't make a great essay. I spent four summers going down to Tampa to work at Busch Gardens with exotics from lions and gorillas to meerkats and sugar gliders. My brother rode a bike across the united states. He got accepted to every school he applied to. They weren't Ivys, but they were good schools. I really just kinda got by in high school. I could get a's and b's without putting too much effort into the work, and it worked out fine for me. Bucknell's phenomenal, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else now. It screwed me over for my first semester since I had to actually learn how to study more or less, but all in all that community that I'm going to have for the rest of my life was more important that a little bit of trouble for a semester.

That turned into a real wall of text, so wouldn't be surprised if nobody actually reads it.

I loved high school.
Those were the best years of my life. You know, hangin' out with my buddies, watching movies, eating pizza and drinkin beer... damn, those were good times.
I was a good student, by the way, I got high grades and everything. A couple of teachers hated me, but that's natural :D

I have loved high school so far. It gives you opportunities to try new things, and sort of find yourself in a way. It helped me find some of the best people I have ever met, and created experiences that I hope I never forget.

I'm going to be kind of sad when I graduate, but I suppose everything will stay alive in memories. But I'm going to miss band the most, I think. Oh well, still got one more year!

My high school is okay. I think I got put in some classes with a couple of slakers because my math class was easier compared to some others in the past. Freshman year was rocky I was scared to start, Sophomore year had to be my best year. I hope Junior year starts out great this coming August. My teachers were awesome and my english teacher gave me bonus points for all the books I read.... I was raking in the bonus's.
My social life turned better I'm more of a loner but I gained a couple of friends. I message them on facebook mostly but I don't spend to much time there. I plan on being in some clubs but I'm not sure how a shy girl like me will do all that great.

I have two more years left Junior and Senior and I want them to go just as well as my sophomore year went

High school is okay. Usually some high schools have a major sport. My school's major sport is BASEBALL. Some major league baseball players graduated from my school. Some high schools get more money in renovation than in education. In my high school, there are people who smoke marijuana in the restrooms... My high school has a dress code, but no one follows it. The ACTUAL dress code must be to not to go to school naked and no wearing any kind of hat except the ones that the school sells. People wear short shorts, strapless tops, low-cut shirts, etc. People make out, go touchy-touchy, and should get a box or room. The most of the teachers don't care if you cuss, but some do. There are police on campus on my school. When there is a fight, a lot of people RUN to where the fight is. They either watch or join in.
You usually can say hello to the people you usually talk to/the people you have classes with. With the acquaintances you've had from middle school, it's just awkward to say hello to them when you haven't talked to them in a while.
There are clubs in high school, but I only joined a few. I haven't gone to Homecoming before, but I have two more years in high school. I don't know if it's worth it since the cost for Homecoming is $50 and Prom is apparently $100. High school dances are more expensive to go to than middle school dances.
People procrastinate A LOT in high school...

High school is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I love the fact that there is more people and you get more friends. Also it opens your eyes to the world around you and gives you a taste of what the adult world is like.

But then there are the bullies who just want to make your life hell and also there is quite a bit of homework and exams sometimes.

The high school I go to is pretty good over all as most of the teachers are nice and there are alot of great people there too. There are a few assholes here and there but they can be dealt with easily.

the beginning of high school for me wasn't that different from the end of middle school, except for different kids being there and different building. as everyone around you gets older it gets different, but not really in a way i can easily describe. i wouldnt sweat it though man, the "transition" from middle school to high school i think is over-sensationalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom