• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hikari/Dawn to appear; participating in World Tournament

Re: Hikari/Dawn to appear; in what capacity unknown

What I'd like to understand is how Dawn is going to improve her skills by traveling in eastern Unova. Did the writers not establish with May that a coordinator observing normal trainers' tactics was a bad thing?

Well, Contests often involve winning at the last second through a completely unfair tactic.
Like all of Ash's Best Wishes Gym Battles. :>

Also no wonder they decided to resolve Iris' fear of Ice before Dawn showed up, lol. Coordinators must be like the KKK to Iris if the heavy use of Ice-type attacks in Diamond and Pearl was anything to go by.

I still can't understand for the life of me why people think Dawn would stick around in a region with NO CONTESTS.

Makes absolutely zero sense.

Eh, well who knows. Heck, they could have Dawn could change her life goals if they wanted. Even real people can sometimes do that.

If Dawn can stay in a region without Contests then she can pretty much travel anywhere with Ash.

If Dawn can stay in a region without Contests then she can pretty much travel anywhere with Ash.

But there's no indication she's staying. She's traveling with them in the same manner that Lyra/Khoury did in DP or Barry. Or Cynthia or everyone else who was around for 4-5 eps.

But there's no indication she's staying. She's traveling with them in the same manner that Lyra/Khoury did in DP or Barry. Or Cynthia or everyone else who was around for 4-5 eps.

Like it repeated for the 100th time, since she is on the official BW cast roll her stay will be throughout the Season 2 series.

And why would she do that?

The writers need another companion that can also stay with Ash the same way Brock did in previous generations so it balances the show in terms of demographics.

there must be a reason why she thinks she can improve her skills in E Unova!
So the writers will back up her being in E Unova with some silly stories! Maybe Zoey came here as well!

there must be a reason why she thinks she can improve her skills in E Unova!
So the writers will back up her being in E Unova with some silly stories! Maybe Zoey came here as well!

She traveled all the way to Unova for something. Even on the preview clip we see her in a home, which signifies her longer stay compared to being in a hotel. Before everyone thought Dawn was going to be traveling with Zoey or Kenny but she was on her own in Hoenn and is going to travel again with Ash.

If you want to get technical here, Misty's subplot with Togepi could've been resolved in jouto instead of hoenn(especially since Togepi can't be caught in the hoenn games.) and look at what happened? Dawn's pretty much in the same boat i'm sure they'll give us some reason why she's there.

maybe it's for buneary's modeling thing, after all wasn't that brought up as well at the end of DP?

The writers need another companion that can also stay with Ash the same way Brock did in previous generations so it balances the show in terms of demographics.
Then why did the writers make her leave in the first place?

Exactly. If the writers wanted Dawn to remain a co-star she would have continued into BW from the start. Iris and Cilan (or at least Cilan) could have still joined.

What would be the point of Dawn leaving for 90 eps to return mid-region, when the Contests themselves aren't returning?

They wanted to try a "back to basics" for the first half of BW. Now its back to normal.

You know this reminds me of Gary coming back for DP. Everyone thought Gary was going to get this "huge comeback" after he was hyped up in AG's finale, and then over the entire span of DP he only got 3 episodes and then faded away into oblivion. The same will likely happen when Dawn's visit draws to a close and she returns to Hoenn to finish her journey.

Aside from you, I don't think that I heard anyone else talk about Gary making a big comeback in DP and there was no hype for Gary in the last episode of AG. He was just a plot device to get Ash motivated to go check out Sinnoh. There wasn't anything more to his return than just that and considering he wouldn't be the rival of the series, I don't see what kind of comeback they could have made for Gary in the first place. And comparing how Gary, a pretty minor supporting character, was treated in DP to how Dawn, a former main character, is going to be treated here sounds ridiculous to me. I would hope that she would play at least a slightly more important role than Gray did in DP and she'll probably stick around just as long as May did. Since she has bio page and is included in the promotional poster, even if it is to the side, I don't think that she'll be there for just three episodes, although that is a possibility. I don't think that she'll stick around for rest of the series, but maybe as long as Ash and his friends are traveling around Eastern Unova.

They wanted to try a "back to basics" for the first half of BW. Now its back to normal.
And yet they kept Team Rocket on the show, as well as making Dawn continue her story as a coordinator in Hoenn. Even now, her profile says that she wants to improve her skills so that can become a Top Coordinator. How would she do that over an extended period time without any contests to be had?

I for one find it hillarious that bratty water type Oshawott is gonna come face to face with Piplup

He's all like "apparently there is an overused comedy brat being showed down the viewers throats, and it isn't me. I'll soon fix that, hey everybody, look at me, aren't I silly, watch me fall over"
Oshawott's like " I'm not worthy"

Wonder why they updated her info list like that and added her on the poster? All of this is making her look like shey'll be staying be apart of the team again or some thing.

There's a lot of Isshu Pokémon, Kojondo or Dredear, that are just made to be used in contests

So far it doesn't even seem like we'd have any Contest...
Also, again, as I said - we're already seeing all these Unova Poké and I think most of us would also agree we're almost getting sick of them due to how overused lots of them became due to older Poké not appearing till now...
The whole point of Dawn's return is also the return of the old Poké...
The whole point of this East Unova arc is to finally let us see the older Poké again...
Also, once again - what would we get by seeing Dawn with a new Pokémon that will get very limited amount of screen time / development?... it's so much better to focus on her current ones instead and give them some extra focus that they didn't get initially - especially Togekiss who joined late, Quilava which we barely saw as a Quilava and Mamoswine who I think could do more back in DP (Mamo never even did a performance in a Contest before... I wish we had a Contest now and she'd use it in a performance, but so far it doesn't look like there's any Contest at all)

There's a Lopunny in the new ending, just before the Piplup vs Oshawott race scene, so perhaps an absolute remote chance of it evolving on screen.

That ED just shows some random old Poké and is also more related to the Meloetta short movie than the BW series itself (it even showcases Tepig even though Ash's one is already a Pignite now)
I think Quilava has a bigger chance to evolve, just to give her a fully evolved big starter, similarly to May's Venusaur, only that unlike poor Venusaur, Typhlosion will actually evolve on screen and do stuff (not to mention unlike Venusaur, we'd already have seen it as a Quilava, rather than skipping right into its final form)

Dawn's team is known for being stagnant for long periods of time.

What?... her team is the best team any main character ever had on this show... I really don't get the hate her team and especially Togekiss are getting =\

But she is on the main character page. Why would they add her if she's not permanent? And how you know that "east unova arc" isn't the whole BW2?

Cynthia is there too, so she's permamently joining the cast too?
Also, I'm tired of saying this, but it's just a NEW SEASON, not a NEW SERIES, a direct continuation of the Unova journey that is still not done
Of course they wouldn't stay on East Unova for too long - Ash still needs to get his final badge from Opelucid Gym and then enter the League too
I could see the East Unova arc last until the end of 2012, so it'd be about half a year, then the first half of 2013 can cover Gym 8 + League... then they'd have until around September 2014 (which is a little more than a year / 50-80 eps) for whatever next saga would be
Of course that I don't "know" this... none of us really knows anything for sure, but that's my opinion currently and for now we're stuck with speculations until we find out more

Your point? Shirona could be a recurring character for the whole BW2.

Wasn't Johanna also on the DP series site's character page? and while she was kind of "important", how often did we really get to see her? or Professor Rowan...
I'm not sure being on the character page means as much as some people think
I agree that it may mean Dawn's role in BW will be larger than Misty's in AG or May's in DP... she will probably be around for the whole East Unove arc which may be about half a year long with about 20 eps
But I still fail to see how could she join permamently
If she'd permamently join - they wouldn't bring her back with a full team... since in case of permamently joining she WOULD need to get some new Poké... also, what would she even do if there's no sign of even a one-time Contest in Unova so far? I wouldn't want her to turn into a third sidekick with Iris and Cilan after she starred as equal to Ash in DP...
So as I said before, while I'd love to get as much Dawn as possible, I just can't see how it'd work to bring her back to the main cast... an extended visit rather than a short one is what we should hope for and what we seem to be getting here... but a permament return to the main cast is really just wishful thinking and barely makes any sense

I hope Dawn still has Ball Capsules. Be neat to see the animation again for them. Wonder what Dawn will think of Team Rocket....if she see them.

I'd really love it if, in case there's no Contest and she's here for the tournament, that she'd change to some new dress during the tournament, use the Ball Capsules and Seals, and battle in a Contest style
It's the least we should get to see if there's no Contest...
I'd also love it if she'd maybe do a performance just to show Iris/Cilan what Contests are if they wouldn't know (well... Cilan would probably know, but Iris will probably ask what it is) and in that case it should be either Mamoswine or Togekiss doing the perofrmance, or both... (Mamo never did one and Togekiss never did one under Dawn's ownership)

On her special Dawn clearly said, after deciding which pokemon to take to Hoenn, she was going to train all of her current team because they still had a lot to improve on. Basically saying, instead of catching new pokemon as she was first planning (Dawn was just going to take Piplup), she will keep her whole team intact and concentrate on them only.

That's a good point too to add for all the people who complain about her not getting new Poké

Sounds like a lot of promises to me. I think Dawn might be gone once the Junior tournament begins. The summaries don't mention her competing in it and I doubt she would be left to the sidelines for 5 eps so she's probably going to leave beforehand.

Are you serious?... they're going to East Unova for the tournament and meet Dawn there... why would she NOT stay for the tournament?
I think it's becoming more and more obvious that she'll participate in this tournament... it CAN be a way for a Coordinator to improve and train, since Coordinators battle too - something that people here seem to forget sometimes... (Contest Battles are different than "normal" battles and have their unique style and rules, that's right - but they're still battles, and Dawn DID take part in "normal" battles before)

Promote old Pokemon?

In case you didn't notice, the whole point of East Unova and the reason Dawn is appearing, is obviously to showcase old Pokémon again after the long time we were stuck with new ones only

Completely different situations
Dawn is obviously getting AT LEAST a visit like May's, and it seems more and more likely to be more of an extended visit, much longer than May's...
Also, Dawn is the only character to star in this show ever other than Ash... you don't compare the star of the show to a recurring character like Gary...

What I'd like to understand is how Dawn is going to improve her skills by traveling in eastern Unova. Did the writers not establish with May that a coordinator observing normal trainers' tactics was a bad thing?

Only if the Coordinator is getting too influence by the "normal" battles and forgets all about doings combinations and battling in a beautiful way
Dawn won't have this problem since Contests is totally her style, she was never "badly influenced" by Ash the way May did - in fact, they often trained together and helped each other...
A Coordinator can improve in Contests if he'd make his Pokémon stronger and get better in battles... as long as he won't forget that in Contest you should also pay attention to the time limit and to battling beautifully
So yes, this tournament CAN interest and help a Coordinator like Dawn

I still can't understand for the life of me why people think Dawn would stick around in a region with NO CONTESTS.

Makes absolutely zero sense.

You don't know why Dawn came exactly and what she plans to do next
She have lots of options for here time in Unova:
1. Participate in the tournament
2. Battle trainers and Pokémon that are only found in Unova
3. Catch a new Pokémon that she'll be able to later use in Contests in regions where this Poké would be very rare and special
4. Vacation, just seeing a new place, new Pokémon, etc... sounds exciting enough for the girl to want it - no one said she HAD to do Contests in a row all her life without any breaks here and there
5. Seeing her old friends Ash and Pikachu - friends are important too in the Pokémon world, you know... it's not all about your personal goal that you must achieve immediately and not care abouy anything else... it's not wrong to just relax and enjoy your time with a friend for a while before eventually returning to focusing on your journey

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom