• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hikari/Dawn to appear; participating in World Tournament

Re: Hikari/Dawn to appear; in what capacity unknown

The only thing we know for sure is that she wants to sharpen her skills in Eastern Unova. Entering the tournament wouldn't be too surprising but there's plenty the writers can come up with. It's not that hard throwing any silly half-contest-like thing at us or basically any freakin event that "justifies" Dawn's development, and there you go, easily pulled out promotion for pre-GenV Pokemon.
As for her skills, I imagine the problem would be something like she was so obsessed with grace and tactics that the lack of actual power cost her a lot of matches lately. Maybe the reverse, taking into consideration that we're talking about a coordinator. Either way, the Junior Cup from her part is the same when Ash entered the Wallace Cup. Even though I was like ugh, another contest - longer than ever -, that turned out pretty sweet so I don't see any reasons why she couldn't do kinda the same.

For her time in the main cast, I predict 10-15 episodes. Six Pokemon (re-)added to the family holds a lot of opportunities like we can see in the trailer.

The same 6 old Pokemon we saw enough of.

But that's the whole point - to bring back old characters after they "disappeared" for a long time
We're seeing the Unova Pokémon more than enough anyway without Dawn getting one, and we're going to see LOTS of old Poké in East Unova without Dawn getting one of these
Seriously, said new member of Dawn's team would only end up barely getting any screen time anyway... it is much better to focus on her current team - which is also what Dawn said she'll do in Hoenn, as Matt_2_Sky said
Anyway, I can see Quilava evolving as I said... and MAYBE she'll end up catching one Unova Poké (just because it does kind of makes sense she'd want one of these, considering they're ONLY in Unova and aren't found in any other region... but I doubt even that would happen, they're clearly focusing on the old in this East Unova arc)

But as said, we're seeing them all in her debut episode and the few she's staying for. They don't need to be heavily promoted more than 2-3 eps. They're showing a whole bunch of wild Pokemon in the previews, I imagine that will be the same.

They don't need to be heavily promoted more than 2-3 eps.

I doubt all 6 will get lots of focus in each and every ep Dawn will be there
It'd probably be much less than that, other than Pip maybe (and even it probably won't be focused on during ALL of these eps... especially in the tournament eps where there probably won't be any Pokémon interactions and we'll see just battles...)
Giving her a new Poké now would only cause it to suffer from barely getting any focus/development, so again, it does make sense to focus on her old team (which also both fits with her decision to what to do in Hoenn + to the current idea of focusing on the old and not on the new)

That's my point, they're "appearing" but don't need to be heavily focused on. Those specific pokemon aren't any more important than the wild Pokemon they're showing.

Dawn's team isn't going to get special treatment.

Well, it's not my responsibility to judge if that was okay or not. If I were the writers, I'd bring only 2 or 3 members of her old team back. All I'm saying is that we know we get to deal with those old Pokemon this time around but they are still Pokemon who the others can interact with. Of course that doesn't mean the camera has to lie on them every second.

I imagine after her first episode we won't see much of her Pokemon outside of battles. They're clearly all let out at the beginning to show us what she has.

There are a lot of things the writers could do with Dawn's current team beyond the early episode introduction.

Piplup - will get a lot of focus and have a gag rivalry with Oshawott, not to mention interactions with Meloetta and Pikachu
Mamoswine - likely ice pig vs fire pig rivalry with Pignite
Buneary - interactions with Pikachu
Pachirisu - possible minor running gag involving Oshawott's shell
Then Quilava and Togekiss as extra filler.

In addition, Dawn will be the only one in the group who has an Xtransciever which could become useful in a couple of episodes the same way her Poketch was in DP. There will be a lot more we don't know about that the writers have in stored for Dawn.

I think whatever the case is with Dawn, we should all be glad that she is getting her guest star role. Some thought she would not appear in Best Wishes because of the DP specials. Anyways, anyone else hoping her messy hair gag makes a come back? I always thought that was funny.

I think whatever the case is with Dawn, we should all be glad that she is getting her guest star role. Some thought she would not appear in Best Wishes because of the DP specials. Anyways, anyone else hoping her messy hair gag makes a come back? I always thought that was funny.

I agree that whatever happens - I'm just happy we get to see her and her Poké again! <3
I also agree that it'd be nice to see the hair gag again... Pachi should introduce Pikari to Iris and Cilan :)

Meh, I was never much of a big fan of any of Dawn's gags, including the hair gag, combined with the "dee dee" nickname or "no need to worry" catchphrase. None of them seemed well thought out. I mean c'mon, dee dee is short for "diamond dandruff"!? What is this I don't even...

Meh, I was never much of a big fan of any of Dawn's gags, including the hair gag, combined with the "dee dee" nickname

Why? It was cute and funny

or "no need to worry" catchphrase. None of them seemed well thought out.

Really? the whole Pikari/DeeDee thing was a recurring mystery nickname thorugh the whole DP series, eventually was explained complete with flashback detailing how she got it and the "trauma" that was caused to her since that event, an antagonistic rival overheard it and used it against her, and Dawn managed to get over it
How is it "not well thought out"?
The Daijoubu/"no need to worry" catchphrase is just a cute ctatchphrase that TOTALLY fitted her character and also was kind of a build up to her eventual depression and getting over it, also became as much of a catchphrase for the character that Ash at the end of DP shouted "Daijoubu" when he left to cheer her up
I think it was all good written character traits... it was all fun, fitting and added to her character

c'mon, dee dee is short for "diamond dandruff"!? What is this I don't even...

That's more of a dub complaint if anything, though I find it a very nice way to deal with the situation, assuming they didn't get an explanation of what "Pikari" meant when the nickname was first brought up... (if they did get an explanation then they could've come up with something better... though what they ended up with was good enough in my opinion... though sadly didn't really make sense in other languages - which is why it better to explain things like that immediately, cause if not it's inevitable that it'll screw up other languages dubs...)

Well I guess some people like it and some people don't. There's no simpler answer really. And yeah, maybe the Japanese catchphrase is more..catchy for them, I dunno.

The only Dawn quirk I liked is her wearing different outfits, which sadly was ruined by the writers having her wear that same boring pink dress in every contest instead of the ones she wore in the openings and endings.

The only Dawn quirk I liked is her wearing different outfits, which sadly was ruined by the writers having her wear that same boring pink dress in every contest instead of the ones she wore in the openings and endings.
The dress was modified slightly for every couple of contests, though.

I also don't care what ever happens to Dawn - I'm just glad that her and her Pokemon are back in the anime. And as DP is my favourite series, it's great to see it's getting some references.

Why is it so hard to believe dawn is back for good or at least for season 2. Which I believe is the end of the main series. I also believe that she is the new Brock.

Why is it so hard to believe dawn is back for good or at least for season 2. Which I believe is the end of the main series. I also believe that she is the new Brock.

Because there are no contests and they wouldn't get rid of her just to bring her back mid-region. Everyone knows she's not rejoining the cast.

Meh. The writers are flexible when they want to be. They said Dawn is in Unova to become a Top Coordinator, not to get better at Contests. So the writers might as well expand the definition of what is a Top Coordinator to just be a trainer who combines battles with stylish moves and team coordination. She can stay in Unova can practice that sort of thing without the necessity of earning ribbons.
And the writers might have learned that the next games will feature the return of "contests" but perhaps an upgraded version. In that that case they are keeping Dawn so she can continue to do those in the future.

Because there are no contests and they wouldn't get rid of her just to bring her back mid-region. Everyone knows she's not rejoining the cast.

No everyone doesn't. before you start putting words in people's mouths I'd go back and read the comments over. I am not the only one who thinks she is rejoining the cast' and also we don't know if there are no contest. Remember while the anime is based of the game it does not coexists with them. Meaning the writers can do what ever they want. Do I want her to come back? yes. Is that why I say she is? No. There are 4 reasons I am saying she is returning

1 She has a bio and no if she was just returning for a 5 episode ark she would not have one
2 While she was in the back in the corocoro scan they have moved her a little closer.
3 Cilan Brock Max have all had placements that would make us believe that they where not main cast
4 is she was there only for a few episodes then she would not have an xtransiver

now there are more reasons to support her being a main then there are her just having an arc

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom