• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Excited about the recently announced new Pokémon games? Join us here for discussion and speculation.
  • Visit your account preferences to list your favourite Gen 9 Starter, and you'll get the appropriate badge added to your profile!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review HIS01: Onto the Icy Blue

Emmy

Cam Girl~
Reaction score
A shame it was only six and a half minutes long, but it was certainly gorgeous!

So it seems it's one story told through a series of flashbacks by Alec, namely of how he met Hisuian Zorua. Curious to see how it'll develop over the next two episodes.

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
Cast -

Alec - Chris Hackney
Young Alec - Lizzie Freeman
Father - Steve Kramer
Zorua - Rikako Aikawa

Additional Voices -

Daman Mills
Laura Post

Dub studio isn't credited but my guess is it may be Deluxe again (same studio as Twilight Wings).

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Reaction score
The animation is really heart-warming despite of the cold, snowy atmosphere throughout the episode. But I am disappointed that the episodes are going to be totally very short, and there won't be a room for the depth of characters or the story itself, given that 1/3 of the whole story is just our boy meeting the Shiny Zorua.

Turbo

I swear I don’t even know what’s going on anymore
Reaction score
I enjoyed the episode
I prefer when things like this are short as they are… shorts
It does want me to have more episodes for other Hisuian Pokémon and such as Hisuian Snow seems to be just Zorua and Zoroark

Animation was smooth, Art style was pretty, Shiny Zorua looks great (they recognized that shiny popularity fast lol)

SammyW27

Reaction score
I was hoping that just 3 episodes would mean they'd make them longer...

Oh well, best make the most of it.

At least they'll be gorgeous and emotional. There were times it even felt like something from Studio Ghibli.

KrspaceT

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that the silhouettes at the start looked a ton like Mightyena? Kind of makes me think of some old fridge of mine where I guessed the Hisuian population was originally on Hoenn per the ORAS expansion of things

Juliko

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
So glad this is out now! Really liked this a lot! It's a shame this is only 6 minutes long (With the other episodes probably going to be the same), because everything about it was great! Also, fuck yeah Lizzie Freeman is in the dub!! Definitely looking forward to more!

KrspaceT

Reaction score
So glad this is out now! Really liked this a lot! It's a shame this is only 6 minutes long (With the other episodes probably going to be the same), because everything about it was great! Also, fuck yeah Lizzie Freeman is in the dub!! Definitely looking forward to more!

Lizzie Freeman? What makes her so HECK YEAH!?

Emelie

Bookworm
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
My guess is that something bad is going to happen to Zorua (maybe the adults will try to attack it or the other way around) and the protagonist will recognize it because it's shiny.

Even though the protagonist and Zorua are pretty goofy I couldn't help but get a melancholy feeling from this episode. The music and the beauty of the region before the colonization (or at the very least the early stages of it) combined with the baby Zorua's death in the beginning gives this episode a somber undertone.

Not sure what to think of the ending. Weird to cut off the episode with them falling to their death lol.

Seems like the Ginkgo Guild has existed for a long time. But then again Ginter is an old man so I suppose that makes sense. Makes me excited that we might see Volo in a future episode but I'm not getting my hopes up. Would be nice to get some backstory for him though. The characters in PLA are a little too mysterious for their own good.

Twilight-Kun

Megalomaniacal toaster on a keyboard
Reaction score
Seems like the Ginkgo Guild has existed for a long time. But then again Ginter is an old man so I suppose that makes sense. Makes me excited that we might see Volo in a future episode but I'm not getting my hopes up. Would be nice to get some backstory for him though. The characters in PLA are a little too mysterious for their own good.
Given this is an original story set in the Hisui region rather than an adaptation or expansion, I doubt we'll be seeing anyone major from the game in a prominent role

Jimothy

Reaction score
This and the Slugma house Poketoon are among my favorite pieces of Pokemon animation content of any kind ever. Definitely hope they keep working with this studio, it was gorgeous.

Definitely would have appreciated this more if it had come out around PLA's release (or even in the lead up to it), but better late than never.

Edit: Realized I made it sound like Slugma and Snow have the same studio, which is not true; those were two separate thoughts: I love those two shorts a ton, and I hope they work with Snow’s studio more.

Last edited:

PaperSplash

Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
For those curious, here's the full Japanese cast.

Alec (young) - Rie Kugimiya
Alec - Kōki Uchiyama
Alec's father - Rikiya Koyama
Zorua - Rikako Aikawa
Merchant - Hōchū Ōtsuka
Man - Shinnosuke Ogami
Children - Sakura Kawaguchi, Hina Natsume, Miyari Nemoto