• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HIS01: Onto the Icy Blue

Cast -

Alec - Chris Hackney
Young Alec - Lizzie Freeman
Father - Steve Kramer
Zorua - Rikako Aikawa

Additional Voices -

Daman Mills
Laura Post

Dub studio isn't credited but my guess is it may be Deluxe again (same studio as Twilight Wings).

The animation is really heart-warming despite of the cold, snowy atmosphere throughout the episode. But I am disappointed that the episodes are going to be totally very short, and there won't be a room for the depth of characters or the story itself, given that 1/3 of the whole story is just our boy meeting the Shiny Zorua.

I enjoyed the episode
I prefer when things like this are short as they are… shorts
It does want me to have more episodes for other Hisuian Pokémon and such as Hisuian Snow seems to be just Zorua and Zoroark

Animation was smooth, Art style was pretty, Shiny Zorua looks great (they recognized that shiny popularity fast lol)

I was hoping that just 3 episodes would mean they'd make them longer...

Oh well, best make the most of it.

At least they'll be gorgeous and emotional. There were times it even felt like something from Studio Ghibli.

Anyone else notice that the silhouettes at the start looked a ton like Mightyena? Kind of makes me think of some old fridge of mine where I guessed the Hisuian population was originally on Hoenn per the ORAS expansion of things

So glad this is out now! Really liked this a lot! It's a shame this is only 6 minutes long (With the other episodes probably going to be the same), because everything about it was great! Also, fuck yeah Lizzie Freeman is in the dub!! Definitely looking forward to more!

So glad this is out now! Really liked this a lot! It's a shame this is only 6 minutes long (With the other episodes probably going to be the same), because everything about it was great! Also, fuck yeah Lizzie Freeman is in the dub!! Definitely looking forward to more!

Lizzie Freeman? What makes her so HECK YEAH!?

My guess is that something bad is going to happen to Zorua (maybe the adults will try to attack it or the other way around) and the protagonist will recognize it because it's shiny.

Even though the protagonist and Zorua are pretty goofy I couldn't help but get a melancholy feeling from this episode. The music and the beauty of the region before the colonization (or at the very least the early stages of it) combined with the baby Zorua's death in the beginning gives this episode a somber undertone.

Not sure what to think of the ending. Weird to cut off the episode with them falling to their death lol.

Seems like the Ginkgo Guild has existed for a long time. But then again Ginter is an old man so I suppose that makes sense. Makes me excited that we might see Volo in a future episode but I'm not getting my hopes up. Would be nice to get some backstory for him though. The characters in PLA are a little too mysterious for their own good.

Seems like the Ginkgo Guild has existed for a long time. But then again Ginter is an old man so I suppose that makes sense. Makes me excited that we might see Volo in a future episode but I'm not getting my hopes up. Would be nice to get some backstory for him though. The characters in PLA are a little too mysterious for their own good.
Given this is an original story set in the Hisui region rather than an adaptation or expansion, I doubt we'll be seeing anyone major from the game in a prominent role

This and the Slugma house Poketoon are among my favorite pieces of Pokemon animation content of any kind ever. Definitely hope they keep working with this studio, it was gorgeous.

Definitely would have appreciated this more if it had come out around PLA's release (or even in the lead up to it), but better late than never.

Edit: Realized I made it sound like Slugma and Snow have the same studio, which is not true; those were two separate thoughts: I love those two shorts a ton, and I hope they work with Snow’s studio more.

Last edited:
For those curious, here's the full Japanese cast.

Alec (young) - Rie Kugimiya
Alec - Kōki Uchiyama
Alec's father - Rikiya Koyama
Zorua - Rikako Aikawa
Merchant - Hōchū Ōtsuka
Man - Shinnosuke Ogami
Children - Sakura Kawaguchi, Hina Natsume, Miyari Nemoto

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom