• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Review HIS03: Two Hues

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
The third episode of Hisuian Snow is out now. Feel free to discuss it here.

English:

Japanese:

Emmy

Cam Girl~
Reaction score
Nice to see Jubilife Village and the Galaxy Team in the present. The battle between Garchomp and the Abomasnow was really cool. I see now why they made Zorua a shiny which was so we would recognise its Evolved form. Alec doing the howl at the end was pretty cringe though.

It was a nice story overall, though it wasn't complex enough in my opinion to split up into three episodes over six weeks. In my opinion, it would have been better served to have it be a half hour special.

PaperSplash

Pika, Pikachu! Kachu!
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
Cast -

Alec - Chris Hackney
Father - Steve Kramer
Cyllene - Alexandra Yastishock
Zorua/Zoroark - Rikako Aikawa
Garchomp - Shinnosuke Ogami

Additional Voices -

Yung-I Chang
Laura Post
Daman Mills

Japanese Cast -

Alec - Kōki Uchiyama

Alec's father - Rikiya Koyama
Zoroark - Rikako Aikawa
Cyllene - Romi Park
Garchomp - Shinnosuke Ogami

Villagers - Kiyotaka Furushima, Tsuguo Mogami, Shogo Sakata
Children - Risa Shimizu, Hina Natsume, Hikaru Takahashi
Security Guard - Takkun (Poké-lun TV)

Last edited:

SammyW27

NOBODY EXPECTS A PALDEAN INQUISTION!
Reaction score
Now THIS is more like it! It's raining pay-off, baby!

...though it would've been a lot better if it had been like this from the start -_-

It was gorgeous...but kind of underwhelming in the long run.

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to appreciate it for what it is, but genuinely speaking, this has been the most boring spin off series that we've gotten so far, in my opinion. The pace was so extremely slow that it was difficult for me to keep up with it. At some point I put the speed on x2, and it felt more like its normal pace. Hisui is definitely underappreciated by the writing staff as this is the only thing we've gotten so far that takes place in real Hisui, and how unfortunate that the main series doesn't seem to concern themselves to give us a Hisuian arc.

Nicolas721

Reaction score
That was...an episode. I liked the reveal of what has Alec been up to, how he choose his career and why he came back. I also liked some Hisui characters finally getting speaking roles. However it didn't make anything outstanding, the lack of Hisuian Pokemon debuts is baffling (why not Ursaluna/Avalugg in place of Abomasnow or Sneasler/Kleavor in place of Garchomp?), and the plot turned out to be exactly what I predicted after episode 1:
The story is really just about the boy and Zorua, so I wouldn't be surprised if Part 2 is about them bonding and Part 3 is a climax about them battling an Alpha or something, and at the end the father discovers Pokemon can be good.

FinnishPokéFan92

Huggable Electric Rodent
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him

coincidence-i-think-not.gif

Eitarou

I'm Soi confused
Reaction score
Uh, when was Cyllene stated to be a former Security Corps member? Also possible errror, Alec last visited the village three years ago, but according to Laventon, Jubilife is only two by the time the player arrives. Still, it's nice to see how Cyllene caught her Abra.

PaperSplash

Pika, Pikachu! Kachu!
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/him
I want to appreciate it for what it is, but genuinely speaking, this has been the most boring spin off series that we've gotten so far, in my opinion. The pace was so extremely slow that it was difficult for me to keep up with it. At some point I put the speed on x2, and it felt more like its normal pace. Hisui is definitely underappreciated by the writing staff as this is the only thing we've gotten so far that takes place in real Hisui, and how unfortunate that the main series doesn't seem to concern themselves to give us a Hisuian arc.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it was all that interesting either. Beautiful visuals though.

Emelie

Bookworm
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/Her
I think this episode was a little better than the other two. At least there is some conflict. Both with his father who wants him to take over the family business and "stop pretending to be a doctor" and with the alpha Garchomp rampaging.

Interesting that the antagonist of this episode is a Garchomp since it's a Pokémon that is strongly associated with Cynthia and Volo. Perhaps it could be seen as an extension of Volo's wrath (who may or may not represent a native man).

Nice to see the children of the village act like actual children and run around and play. They are so stiff in the games since they just sit in one place and don't move. Makes the village feel more alive.

The end credit cards in the Japanese version are nice. I would rather have seen three episodes based on what we see in the cards than Alec tbh.

Imtnt

Reaction score
It was much better, but I think overall it was too cheap script-wise. Artwork on the other hand welldone. They could even take this episode as a stand alone; maybe 2/3 minutes more aith intro or making the flashbacks longer..

Blob

Reaction score
I like how in part 2 the Zorua teaches the kid basic stuff like the magical leek that can boil your injuries away. It makes a nice counterpart to how humans in the regular anime have to teach Pokémon things, like that potions are good. It may be slowly paced, but I really think it could have gone for 10+ episodes since Hisui is an interesting take on the Pokémon world.

Jimothy

Reaction score
Uh, when was Cyllene stated to be a former Security Corps member? Also possible errror, Alec last visited the village three years ago, but according to Laventon, Jubilife is only two by the time the player arrives. Still, it's nice to see how Cyllene caught her Abra.
That's not what's said-- Akio's father says he last saw Akio three years ago. He says he moved to the village "soon after"-- which could very well be twoish years.

They weren't in Jubilife in the first two episodes, they were in the Alabaster Icelands.

Anyway, personally I really like the slow pace of this series. I do hope we get more shorts like this. Itching for a new Poketoon too.

Sheep

soul resonance
Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her
Not the most interesting mini series but gotta agree that the visuals were stunning and I really loved how beautifully put together it was. The Abomasnow vs Garchomp battle was very smooth too; really showed how terrifying Pokémon can be, especially to people back then.

Overall I think this would have benefitted from more episodes to build the story rather than just 3, but content with it overall even if lots of improvements could've been made. Hopefully Hisui can get a little more love in the future. Wish the English version didn't remove those beautiful illustrations from the credits though.. only saw them thanks to social media, they were lovely!

Top Bottom