• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review HIS03: Two Hues

Nice to see Jubilife Village and the Galaxy Team in the present. The battle between Garchomp and the Abomasnow was really cool. I see now why they made Zorua a shiny which was so we would recognise its Evolved form. Alec doing the howl at the end was pretty cringe though.

It was a nice story overall, though it wasn't complex enough in my opinion to split up into three episodes over six weeks. In my opinion, it would have been better served to have it be a half hour special.

Cast -

Alec - Chris Hackney
Father - Steve Kramer
Cyllene - Alexandra Yastishock
Zorua/Zoroark - Rikako Aikawa
Garchomp - Shinnosuke Ogami

Additional Voices -

Yung-I Chang
Laura Post
Daman Mills

Japanese Cast -

Alec - Kōki Uchiyama

Alec's father - Rikiya Koyama
Zoroark - Rikako Aikawa
Cyllene - Romi Park
Garchomp - Shinnosuke Ogami

Villagers - Kiyotaka Furushima, Tsuguo Mogami, Shogo Sakata
Children - Risa Shimizu, Hina Natsume, Hikaru Takahashi
Security Guard - Takkun (Poké-lun TV)

Last edited:
Now THIS is more like it! It's raining pay-off, baby!

...though it would've been a lot better if it had been like this from the start -_-

It was gorgeous...but kind of underwhelming in the long run.

I want to appreciate it for what it is, but genuinely speaking, this has been the most boring spin off series that we've gotten so far, in my opinion. The pace was so extremely slow that it was difficult for me to keep up with it. At some point I put the speed on x2, and it felt more like its normal pace. Hisui is definitely underappreciated by the writing staff as this is the only thing we've gotten so far that takes place in real Hisui, and how unfortunate that the main series doesn't seem to concern themselves to give us a Hisuian arc.

That was...an episode. I liked the reveal of what has Alec been up to, how he choose his career and why he came back. I also liked some Hisui characters finally getting speaking roles. However it didn't make anything outstanding, the lack of Hisuian Pokemon debuts is baffling (why not Ursaluna/Avalugg in place of Abomasnow or Sneasler/Kleavor in place of Garchomp?), and the plot turned out to be exactly what I predicted after episode 1:
The story is really just about the boy and Zorua, so I wouldn't be surprised if Part 2 is about them bonding and Part 3 is a climax about them battling an Alpha or something, and at the end the father discovers Pokemon can be good.

coincidence-i-think-not.gif

I want to appreciate it for what it is, but genuinely speaking, this has been the most boring spin off series that we've gotten so far, in my opinion. The pace was so extremely slow that it was difficult for me to keep up with it. At some point I put the speed on x2, and it felt more like its normal pace. Hisui is definitely underappreciated by the writing staff as this is the only thing we've gotten so far that takes place in real Hisui, and how unfortunate that the main series doesn't seem to concern themselves to give us a Hisuian arc.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it was all that interesting either. Beautiful visuals though.

I think this episode was a little better than the other two. At least there is some conflict. Both with his father who wants him to take over the family business and "stop pretending to be a doctor" and with the alpha Garchomp rampaging.

Interesting that the antagonist of this episode is a Garchomp since it's a Pokémon that is strongly associated with Cynthia and Volo. Perhaps it could be seen as an extension of Volo's wrath (who may or may not represent a native man).

Nice to see the children of the village act like actual children and run around and play. They are so stiff in the games since they just sit in one place and don't move. Makes the village feel more alive.

The end credit cards in the Japanese version are nice. I would rather have seen three episodes based on what we see in the cards than Alec tbh.

It was much better, but I think overall it was too cheap script-wise. Artwork on the other hand welldone. They could even take this episode as a stand alone; maybe 2/3 minutes more aith intro or making the flashbacks longer..

I like how in part 2 the Zorua teaches the kid basic stuff like the magical leek that can boil your injuries away. It makes a nice counterpart to how humans in the regular anime have to teach Pokémon things, like that potions are good. It may be slowly paced, but I really think it could have gone for 10+ episodes since Hisui is an interesting take on the Pokémon world.

Uh, when was Cyllene stated to be a former Security Corps member? Also possible errror, Alec last visited the village three years ago, but according to Laventon, Jubilife is only two by the time the player arrives. Still, it's nice to see how Cyllene caught her Abra.
That's not what's said-- Akio's father says he last saw Akio three years ago. He says he moved to the village "soon after"-- which could very well be twoish years.

They weren't in Jubilife in the first two episodes, they were in the Alabaster Icelands.

Anyway, personally I really like the slow pace of this series. I do hope we get more shorts like this. Itching for a new Poketoon too.

Not the most interesting mini series but gotta agree that the visuals were stunning and I really loved how beautifully put together it was. The Abomasnow vs Garchomp battle was very smooth too; really showed how terrifying Pokémon can be, especially to people back then.

Overall I think this would have benefitted from more episodes to build the story rather than just 3, but content with it overall even if lots of improvements could've been made. Hopefully Hisui can get a little more love in the future. Wish the English version didn't remove those beautiful illustrations from the credits though.. only saw them thanks to social media, they were lovely!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom