• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

History In the Making - My fanfic

1337R34P3R

Zalgo Fanboy
Reaction score
Prologue: The Breeder

He came into floaroma town from the north. a tall wraith of a man, he was dressed in midnight blue from head to toe, with the exception of gold trimming on his trench coat. this kind of getup would normally lead people to believe that this man was hiding something, that he couldn't be trusted, but in this case, the melancholy outfit semed to soften the otherwise imposing figure that bore it. as the strange man walked over the river bridge, past the valley windworks, and into the center of town, people stopped what they were doing to gaze at this curious sight. strangers were rare in floaroma town, a small village north of jubilife whos only claim to fame was the Pick a Peck of Colors Flower Shop, where many of sinnoh's greatest coordinators came to shop for contest items. despite this, strangers were a rare thing. a group of children, none of them more than 10 years old, whispered amongst themselves and snuck looks at the man. finally, a young girl walked out of the congregation and approached the man.

"Excuse me, mister," she said in a steady voice,"um...who are you?"

The man smiled down at her.

"I have been called many things in my time. but you may call me The Breeder."

The Breeder studied the little girl who stood before him.

"What's your name, child?"

"Mikah" The girl answered.

"Well, Mikah, you seem to be a very brave young girl. come with me; i have something for you."

The Breeder started walking towards the Pokemon Center.

"And you can bring your friends with you" he said over his shoulder.

The children exchanged looks, then hurried to catch up.

The Nurse at the counter of the Pokemon Center looked up as the automatic door slid open, creating that distinct note, and was puzzled at the sight in front of her. A tall man in a trench coat walked through the doorway, soon followed by no fewer than 15 children. Suspicious of the man's intentions, the Nurse kept an eye on him as he walked across the tile floor towards the PC in the corner of the room. the breeder tapped a few keys, then waited as an egg slowly appeared in the withdrawal zone. the breeder took the egg and gingerly handed it to mikah, who stared at it in wonder.

"Take care of that egg" the breeder said. "it will be with you for many years to come"

The breeder then looked at the other kids inside.

"who else wants one?"

the Nurse winced as a loud cheer erupted from the small crowd that had gathered inside.

As the children ran around town, showing off their new eggs, comparing them, studying them, the breeder allowed himself a small smile, then began to walk south towards jubilife city. Mikah was the only one to watch him go, and was slightly puzzled by the actions of the man.

None of the residents of Floaroma Town ever saw him again.

================================

tada! my first attempt at fiction writing in a long time. feedback is requested, so thanks in advance.

Hi DCM. Here's the review.

>PLOT
"Well, Mikah, you seem to be a very brave young girl. come with me; i have something for you." ~The "Breeder"
It's a good start. *claps* Still, I have to wonder what they teach the kids. Because following random strangers is a great thing to do. Bring your friends too. All jokes aside, it's a good start, ending on a sort-of cliffhanger.

Score: 8/10 (above average)

>Description
"Can't make an omelet without breakin' some eggs" ~Saved by the Bell
This is where your story falls down. Or trips. Whatever. The description is one huge paragraph, causing some readers to tl;dr. And right after the starting paragraph of text, the rest of them are all one-lined sentences. Not good pacing.

Score: 6/10. (below average)

>Grammar and Spelling
You fail to capitalize sometimes, with the occasional spelling error. Aaand...that's about it. kthxbai

Score: 7/10 (average)

Aaand the final score is: 7/10 (average)

Yay for fancy editing. Well, it's really just an average fic...there's not really much else to say. Gaspeh. I'll keep reading, anyway.

Hmm, this is a curious beginning.

First of all, you tend to forget capitalisation, as well as the predisposition to make the off-hand grammatical error - especially with spelling. However, I can give you props for an interesting start.

Albeit the slight mistakes here and there, it didn't deter me from reading on further into the fic. The Breeder seems to be a mysterious man, but one who brings much joy as well... as was shown with the children at the Pokemon Centre.

Although I can agree it's an average fic, and there is no denying that you have a fair way for improvement, I can tell you now, that this is an intriguing introduction and I'll be waiting to read more!

Take Care and Keep Writing,

Anime Aficionada.

So here's a little criticism, because you're supposed to save the best for last.
-You might want to space out your description a bit more. Some readers might see one huge paragraph and then think "tl;dr". Perhaps you could spread it out amongst your dialogue? The description is barely there during those bits and it makes the story seem a bit segmented.
-Capitalization! You had many cases where you forgot this. Try to make sure you do this always, run it through spellcheck if possible. It looks bad when there are capitalization errors, regardless of the quality of the story.

Now for the good stuff!

-Nice description, when you had it. Certain things such as describing him as a "wraith of a man" really painted a picture.
-Intruiging plot. It was mysterious and discreet and made the reader want to keep reading.

thanks for the reviews! as for the spelling errors, i haven't activated office '07 on my computer, so i wrote this in notepad. guess i should stop taking autocorrect for granted...

Wut ?
Really 1337 , you as a writer !
Can't imagine.
Anyways, bad spelling + bad punctuation + bad description = BAN !

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom