• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisuian Forms and Evolutions Discussion

Enter your answer:

• Total voters
How would the evolution make sense then as to why the modern Pokémon world can't do it then?
The game says that Basculegion are evolved from the Basculin that managed to survive Hisui's strong currents, and it's powered by the souls of all the Basculin that died while trying to swim upstream (hence the Ghost-type). Basculegion not existing in modern times can be explained by Basculin no longer being around in modern Sinnoh while Unova's waters are too calm for enough Basculin to die off, rendering the evolution unnecessary and unattainable. On the unlikely chance that Basculegion remains inaccessible in modern Sinnoh, though... maybe the water currents have somehow become calmer?

Last edited:
...also the regional evolution issue is something we're already seeing with Alolan Marowak, Exeggutor, and Raichu, so it's not like this isn't something that already needs a solution.

Been meaning to comment on this, but I wouldn't really call it the same thing.

Because if they went with Basculegion/Wyrdeer being Hisui-exclusive, then what would be the point in even giving normal Stantler/Basculin evolutions in the first place when all the ones unable to transfer into LA would be unevolveable?

They're also a much higher priority than the ones mentioned since those are just forms, and those aren't required for completing National Dex. With Mr. Mime's, it can be bred from in-game trades so there's not much worry there, especially if you want G-Mime/Rime with your OT in later games.

If they wanted to keep them Hisui-exclusive, that's why giving them variants would be easier in the long run for distribution, since we can just transfer & breed/trade the variant hatches away. I understand you'd want them to evolve as is, but after the whole Sirfetch'd thing, I personally just don't expect it.

Been meaning to comment on this, but I wouldn't really call it the same thing.

Because if they went with Basculegion/Wyrdeer being Hisui-exclusive, then what would be the point in even giving normal Stantler/Basculin evolutions in the first place when all the ones unable to transfer into LA would be unevolveable?

They're also a much higher priority than the ones mentioned since those are just forms, and those aren't required for completing National Dex. With Mr. Mime's, it can be bred from in-game trades so there's not much worry there, especially if you want G-Mime/Rime with your OT in later games.

If they wanted to keep them Hisui-exclusive, that's why giving them variants would be easier in the long run for distribution, since we can just transfer & breed/trade the variant hatches away. I understand you'd want them to evolve as is, but after the whole Sirfetch'd thing, I personally just don't expect it.

The thing is that making any of these things exclusive to a single region won't make sense in the long run. Having them originate or be first discovered there makes sense, but having their continued presence within the series rely on being traded up from old games or waiting for a remake to roll around does not.

We also don't know if these new evos really are just region-exclusive or if there's new evo items/methods involved. And if there isn't, it's not like GameFreak has totally avoided retconning evolutions, especially recently- Leafeon can evolve with a stone now.

Also national pokedex isn't even a thing in the games anymore? Completing the national dex outside of Home is sort of a non-issue. If you're referring to Home, then I would consider the unbreedable Alolan evos to be just as problematic for anyone who wants one.

Last edited:
The thing is that making any of these things exclusive to a single region won't make sense in the long run. Having them originate or be first discovered there makes sense, but having their continued presence within the series rely on being traded up from old games or waiting for a remake to roll around does not.

We also don't know if these new evos really are just region-exclusive or if there's new evo items/methods involved. And if there isn't, it's not like GameFreak has totally avoided retconning evolutions, especially recently- Leafeon can evolve with a stone now.

Also national pokedex isn't even a thing in the games anymore? Completing the national dex outside of Home is sort of a non-issue. If you're referring to Home, then I would consider the unbreedable Alolan evos to be just as problematic for anyone who wants one.

I doubt they'll ever truly be LA-exclusive in the long run myself too, but distribution-wise, giving them variants would make their distribution less of a hassle than if they were an A-Raichu situation, this is if they intend on making the species only natively found in Hisui and given out through special methods/trades later.

When I was talking about the National Dex, yes I was referring to Home. The Alolan evos/Weezing are a hassle considering their evolution, but they're still not required for the National Dex itself since you could get by just fine with their normal ones.

I doubt they'll ever truly be LA-exclusive in the long run myself too, but distribution-wise, giving them variants would make their distribution less of a hassle than if they were an A-Raichu situation, this is if they intend on making the species only natively found in Hisui and given out through special methods/trades later.

When I was talking about the National Dex, yes I was referring to Home. The Alolan evos/Weezing are a hassle considering their evolution, but they're still not required for the National Dex itself since you could get by just fine with their normal ones.

Really contingent on whether or not these evos are exclusive to Hisui, though. By making them not "Hisuian" in any way save for that they are able to evolve there, they could much more easily make Basculegion and Wyrdeer available in later games than they would with trying to explain Galarian Zigzagoon being found in a new region in order to have Obstagoon there (not that it's a major obstacle really no pun intended, but I think it might require at least some in-game mention of "Oh yeah this one originally came from Galar.")

If you think about it, actually, they've already tripped over the "how do we explain this being unavailable" evo trap before. Crobat is unavailable in Let's Go (despite even having the friendship mechanic present) and I don't believe there was any in-universe explanation for that happening... though that retcon was present ever since Crobat was made (seriously are Kanto people all just assholes who don't love their Golbats enough?), it just strikes extra oddly when we're retreading it so many years later, and with Mega Evolution inexplicably available to boot.

So yeah, gonna stand by that there shouldn't be Hisuian variants of Stantler and Basculin, they could both just be able to evolve in new regions from this point forward. We've done enough shoulder shrugging at this point, continuity isn't really holding anything back.

I saw a recommended video on YouTube entitled "Hisuian starters?!" and it blew my mind. It literally hadn't occured to me that this was a possibility! Do you think it might happen? People were saying back in February that Decidueye and Typhlosion don't really fit the feudal Japan theme, but maybe they will if they get new forms.

I also thought it was a bit strange how they chose one dual-type and two mono-type Pokemon for the starter trio, but maybe all three of them will be dual-type now.

I saw a recommended video on YouTube entitled "Hisuian starters?!" and it blew my mind. It literally hadn't occured to me that this was a possibility! Do you think it might happen? People were saying back in February that Decidueye and Typhlosion don't really fit the feudal Japan theme, but maybe they will if they get new forms.

I also thought it was a bit strange how they chose one dual-type and two mono-type Pokemon for the starter trio, but maybe all three of them will be dual-type now.
Geebraprint made a thread on this: Will the starters get Hisuian forms?

As neat as I think it would be, I don't think either the Sinnoh or Hisuian starters will get Hisuian forms, especially the Sinnoh ones, unfortunately.

But here is the thing: Samurott does. Makes no sense to pick a Pokemon that fits the Feudal Japan Theme and then give it another evolution when the original evolution already fits.

And giving the other 2 a regional variant, while Samurott stays the same also doesn't make any sense.

Heck, Samurott fitting the Feudal Japan Theme is proof enough the starters aren't getting Hisuian Forms, because it makes no sense for Samurott to do so.

Who'll raise hands for Hisuian Turtonator based on Kappa?
We already have Golduck and the Lotad line.
But here is the thing: Samurott does. Makes no sense to pick a Pokemon that fits the Feudal Japan Theme and then give it another evolution when the original evolution already fits.

And giving the other 2 a regional variant, while Samurott stays the same also doesn't make any sense.

Heck, Samurott fitting the Feudal Japan Theme is proof enough the starters aren't getting Hisuian Forms, because it makes no sense for Samurott to do so.
This isn't the feudal era. Please stop calling it that. Japan has more to its history and culture than samurai.

We already have Golduck and the Lotad line.
This isn't the feudal era. Please stop calling it that. Japan has more to its history and culture than samurai.

I am just saying that Samurott is appropriate for every timeframe the games are set, even if its set in the far future, because Samurai's are a part of Japanese history.

I think it could happen but I don't think that it will, since they do all fit well enough as-is. It doesn't have to be made more explicitly obvious, especially since GameFreak has such a history of making subtle references.

3qwpuk7lu1k61.jpg

And it's really not strange at all to have one dual-type and two mono-types for starters- just look at Gen 5.

I've definitely mentioned it before, but I really enjoy the starter trio for this game. Even though I'd welcome new forms/changes, I don't think it's necessary for this set of Pokémon.

They're literally three of my favourite starters! I had them all on my team in Gen 7. It's like Game Freak read my mind lol.

They could make an alolan stone, galarian stone and hisuian stone to evolve pikachu to alolan raichu, cubone to alolan marowak, koffing to galarian weezing, and basculin and stantler if they dont get hisuian forms.

They could make an alolan stone, galarian stone and hisuian stone to evolve pikachu to alolan raichu, cubone to alolan marowak, koffing to galarian weezing, and basculin and stantler if they dont get hisuian forms.

Hopefully they'd come up with something more creative than stones, though. XD Like we already got the elemental evo stones... and mega evo stones... and z-crystals... we could do something less rocky, like maybe flowers or water.

Though that would imply something about the source of regional variants being connected to plants or water- eugh, maybe not, maybe a magic dust or elixir instead.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom