• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisuian Forms and Evolutions Discussion

Enter your answer:

• Total voters
I would personally love a regional evolution of Vigoroth. It's one of my favorite Pokemon, but I don't like Slaking all that much. Having a Vigoroth evolution that doesn't get Truant back and keeps a similar color scheme would be super ideal.
You don't consider Zarude a regional evolution of Vigoroth? Only thing is its bst is not as high enough. Then, there's Rillaboom.

I would personally love a regional evolution of Vigoroth. It's one of my favorite Pokemon, but I don't like Slaking all that much. Having a Vigoroth evolution that doesn't get Truant back and keeps a similar color scheme would be super ideal.
Oh yes! I would LOVE a Vigoroth evolution that stays a sloth and doesn’t go full gorilla/ape. I can’t believe we’re 8 gens in and no fully evolved sloth Pokémon???

I do think some of these new evolutions could have explanations for why they are suddenly available in later games despite not being so before. Other Pokemon not so much.
Kleavor can be introduced by simply, saying that someone somewhere, deep underground, found the minerals that evolve them, despite them being thought to be gone.
Basculiegon i could easily see still being able to happen, it just hasn't for a long while for one reason or another. Maybe the Pokemon worlds currents all over have weakened.
Wyrdeer however, i got nothing.

I do think some of these new evolutions could have explanations for why they are suddenly available in later games despite not being so before. Other Pokemon not so much.
Kleavor can be introduced by simply, saying that someone somewhere, deep underground, found the minerals that evolve them, despite them being thought to be gone.
Basculiegon i could easily see still being able to happen, it just hasn't for a long while for one reason or another. Maybe the Pokemon worlds currents all over have weakened.
Wyrdeer however, i got nothing.

Maybe Wyrdeer only evolves in cold places? Pokemon really should swap out their highly specific location evos for some more generic ones anyway.

Just pretend like no one used their Stantler in any cold places in previous games because why would you use Stantler.

It seems more and more like we might be getting regular cross-gen evolutions for Hisui rather than Regional Evolutions coming specifically from Regional Variants if Scyther (and seemingly Stantler) is any indication. However, the fact that they can't occur in modern-day Sinnoh (especially for the Pokémon who existed at the time of Generation 4) kind of bugs me if they just evolve through regular means (I'm assuming people are thinking these new evolutions will come from regular level up and/or existing items). If anything, shouldn't it be tied to something that is plausible to do in these games compared to others?

That's when it hit me: is it possible that some of these new evolutions are somehow tied to the crafting system, perhaps in different ways? Here's a few examples:
  • Scyther evolves into Kleavor due to some mineral deposit that's too scarce in the modern day. Giving its scythes become stone axes, maybe you have to craft a special item using those minerals like an axe blade of some sort and expose it to your Scyther. Depending on whether you can have your Pokémon aid in the crafting process, there's a chance you might need Scyther to be directly involved with crafting this item.
  • To obtain Basculegion, you might have to craft an item that acts as bait for the Basculin souls of the opposing Stripe color to yours (using (either Blue Soul Bait for evolving Red-Striped or Red Soul Bait for evolving Blue-Striped) at locations with strong currents. You would use the Red/Blue Soul Bait at the appropriate area, and then promptly let your Basculin out of its Poké Ball to be possessed by those souls. Congratulations, you Basculin evolved into Basculegion!
Obviously, I wouldn't expect all of the new evolutions to be tied to this mechanic in particular. However, I wouldn't put it past Game Freak to make these evolutions tied to the new game mechanics just to show off what they can do and justify why we haven't seen them before. Personally, I think these types of evolutions could be pretty fun!

You know, there is something i recently thought about. Except for 2, all regions are included in Hisui. Only Kalos and Galar aren't.

Now in regards to that leaked climbing Pokemon with a leaf on it.... what if its a regional evolution for Pancham. We know it has that leaf in its mouth in its design, so what if it changes to the one in the leaked picture. Then we have 7 out of 8 regions confirmed, with Galar possibly being represented by Mr. Rime.

You know, there is something i recently thought about. Except for 2, all regions are included in Hisui. Only Kalos and Galar aren't.

Now in regards to that leaked climbing Pokemon with a leaf on it.... what if its a regional evolution for Pancham. We know it has that leaf in its mouth in its design, so what if it changes to the one in the leaked picture. Then we have 7 out of 8 regions confirmed, with Galar possibly being represented by Mr. Rime.
Galar has represantation with the Galarian Weezing chimney thingies.

Well one of my most wanted type combos (normal/ghost) is finally a reality with the new zorua line! Now all I need is a hisuian dunsparce and evolution that’s bug/dragon.

Well one of my most wanted type combos (normal/ghost) is finally a reality with the new zorua line! Now all I need is a hisuian dunsparce and evolution that’s bug/dragon.
Why bug? XD Dunsparce is a snake.

I'd like to see a Bug flygon line, though. Their design screams bug already, it drives me nuts that they're not.

With three immunities, a resistance, and one weakness, the Hisiuan kitsunes are certainly making a splash with their brand new typing! Originally I thought they were going to be Ice-types given the trailer (and groaned a bit internally, haha), but I'm glad the comment section set me straight. Speaking of their trailer though, a man was recording them with technology and a video camera it seems... But it would be weird for those to exist in Hisui. So I was wondering, maybe the Hisiuan forms of Zorua and Zoroark can be found around Snowpoint City in modern day Sinnoh? And have used their powers to avoid detection all this time? Just hopeful speculation, because I really want to battle with them haha. They both look great design-wise and I'm excited for their potential new or additional Ability outside of Illusion. Now that I think about it, the current day Illusion may be a hang-up/remnant of their previous ghostly powers that waned over time, for the Zoroark and Zorua that lost them.

I am sputtering incoherently.

We have what I have wanted for so, so long. A red and white Zoroark, like the kitsune legends. I am just over the moon, I MUST get these games.

And finally, we have a kitsune that is Ghost-type!

While I prefer regular Zoroark's hair, I understand that Hisuian Zoroark's is supposed to invoke the nine tales of the legend. And it is still delightfully fluffy and white.

Legends Arceus is just knocking it out of the park with its variants thus far.

I'm not sure why but that white-red floof makes me think of ice cream

I really love these designs tho! And the cool typing is just a cherry on top

The restored version of the video was recommended to me on YouTube earlier, but I didn't click on it because I thought it was the fuzzy version I'd already seen haha. I'm 13 hours late to this party!

I've very chuffed that two of my favourite Unovan Pokemon, Braviary and now Zoroark, have received new forms. And I had been hoping for a Normal/Ghost type, and a Normal-type regional form (of a Pokemon that wasn't previously Normal-type), for a while.

I think that making a familiar Pokemon "more normal" is a cool way to subvert expectations. One day they should have a regional form that's a pure Normal-type. Take a Pokemon like Vulpix or Growlithe, remove its fiery powers and make it brown and fluffier.

Last edited:
With three immunities, a resistance, and one weakness, the Hisiuan kitsunes are certainly making a splash with their brand new typing! Originally I thought they were going to be Ice-types given the trailer (and groaned a bit internally, haha), but I'm glad the comment section set me straight. Speaking of their trailer though, a man was recording them with technology and a video camera it seems... But it would be weird for those to exist in Hisui. So I was wondering, maybe the Hisiuan forms of Zorua and Zoroark can be found around Snowpoint City in modern day Sinnoh? And have used their powers to avoid detection all this time? Just hopeful speculation, because I really want to battle with them haha. They both look great design-wise and I'm excited for their potential new or additional Ability outside of Illusion. Now that I think about it, the current day Illusion may be a hang-up/remnant of their previous ghostly powers that waned over time, for the Zoroark and Zorua that lost them.
The man mentioned a strange device, which is probably the Arc Phone. TPCi confirmed that it's old footage from Hisui.

There's some chance that the new forms and evolutions can be unlocked in BDSP via Home, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Really love the new Zorua and Zoroark; the latter is already very high in my esteem and may break into my Top 10.

A couple of fun details about them:

1) They’re an inversion of the core concept of regional variants, which is Pokémon migrating to other regions and adapting to the environment. In this case, these forms emerged because Zorua failed to adapt.

2) It’s mentioned that they were forced to migrate to Hisui from “other lands” by people who feared Zorua’s illusions. Something curious about Zorua and Zoroark, though, is that despite being introduced in Gen 5 and therefore nominally native to the Unova region, they’re exceedingly rare there, to the point of being quasi-Mythical Pokémon, in that they could only be obtained through special events or a one-off gift from Rood in B2W2. Perhaps the scarcity of the Zorua line in Unova is a consequence of the Unovan people driving Zorua away?

Last edited:
It may come off a bit of a stretch, but... although I have been planning to have a Zorua in my initial gameplay for several reasons, mostly because it has an interesting type combination and I like the species itself, unfortunately Zoroark killed my vibe for it. Not because it has a bad design or anything, but... as someone who has gone through a very intense scabies infection for three months just recently, the red marks on Zoroark remind me of nothing but the extremely annoying and itchy burrows and marks on my skin that I experienced for a long time. I don't really want to keep a Pokémon reminding me of such symptoms that I just recently carried on my body.

No, thank you.

Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark might just be my favourite regional forms. I love the typing (not fire-type or dark-type for once!) and their colouration gives me Kitsune mask vibes.
Is it just me, or do Hisuian Zorua/Zoroark look a lot like Amaterasu/Shiranui from Okami?
Same design inspiration like Daren said. Kitsune masks pop up a lot in Japanese media so I'm surprised it's taken Pokémon this long for something similar

Same design inspiration like Daren said. Kitsune masks pop up a lot in Japanese media so I'm surprised it's taken Pokémon this long for something similar
That’s likely because they’ve been using non-Japanese cultures as the main design inspirations for the past 4 gens. A lot of the Hisuian designs seem to be heavy on traditional Japanese inspiration because it’s been so long since that felt appropriate.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom