• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hisuian Forms and Evolutions Discussion

Enter your answer:

• Total voters
The new forms and evolutions are amazing. I've never cared about Basculin until now. Basculegion is so freaking cool, in both design and concept. I feel similarly with Wyrdeer. Definitely have a lot more appreciation for these two Pokemon now. And I already loved Growlithe and Braviary. Hisuian Growlithe is absolutely precious (though I admit I still think I prefer Kantonian Growlithe), and Hisuian Braviary is super cool looking. I will definitely be picking one up for my team.

it's hard to say whether or not we get Hisuian forms of the starters. I think it's more like they won't, just because they were brought to ancient Sinnoh, but I do think it's still possible. With how different this game is, I could see easily them making these starters the first to be able to evolve with some sort of evolutionary item or be in some sort of place. I know regional variants generally seem to be like evolutionary changes influenced by either environment or diet, or whatever their crazy reason was, but especially if it's locked behind some sort of story element, I could see items being a reason for the starters evolving differently... then again that would make them more of an alternate evolution or form rather than Hisuian form. Oh well, I'll take either.

Came here to post exactly that! There will definitely be a Hisuian Stantler that is Normal/something (since Johtoan Stantler is already Normal, Hisuian must have a second type and it makes sense to be Psychic) and Hisuian Basculin (one version, no red/blue variants) is Water/something (the lore makes me question if it is ghost).

They would not have made a different colored Farfetch'd if they wanted regional evolutions to come from the versions of Pokemon we already know. :)

But if they do have Hisuian Forms for stantler and basculin there’s still the glaring question of why they’re nowhere to be seen in present day Sinnoh.

I'm seriously thriiled they're adding more new Pokemon and regional variants. Hisuian Growlithe is EVERYTHING. Its just adorable and I'm really excited to see how a Fire/Rock Arcanine will look. Now the real question is will these Pokemon be available in the future?
That’s the question on everyone’s minds. Hopefully they can come up with a good reason in universe.

I'm definitely happy with most of the ones we've seen so far.

Basculegion is my favorite of them. The design incredible, the idea behind it is incredible, it's just awesome. I love it. Basculin very much needed this evolution.

Hisuian Growlithe is adorable. Growlithe to me has been "just another dog" for a very long time, so I'm very glad to see it becoming more unique- basing it off a Shisa was an excellent decision. Cannot wait to see how Hisuian Arcanine turns out.

Braviary's not bad either. I'm not as excited about it as the above two, but I like it's design well enough.

Wyrdeer's design is fine but I don't like it as a Stantler evolution. Looks too similar to base Stantler- it feels like should just be a varient.

I don't think we'll be seeing Hisuian varients if Stantler or Basculin. Hisuian Rufflet's a coin toss for me, though. And Hisuian Arcanine will almost certainly happen unless replaced with an alternate evolution similar to Perrserker- I think an Arcanine varient's probably more likely though.

Last edited:
I hope there's a blue basculegion because they made the red one look neato~

Odd that stantler's evo looks more like a regional variant than an evolution.

GROWLITHE WITH HAT. Braviary with radical sunglasses on its forehead.

Rufflet better have a variant as well I hate when they give evolutionary forms variants and leave the previous form normal it feels wrong. Kinda don't like not being able to see growlithes eyes tho.

But if they do have Hisuian Forms for stantler and basculin there’s still the glaring question of why they’re nowhere to be seen in present day Sinnoh.
Naming it Hisui instead of Sinnoh drives home their idea that, even though this region BECOMES Sinnoh, it is not Sinnoh. The terrains and environments, which are what drive regional variation, are all different from Sinnoh. As Hisui becomes Sinnoh, these Pokemon change with it or stop appearing altogether.

I don't know. They have explicitly stated both in the first reveal and today that the starters are Pokemon that the professor found in other regions. Them having a form for this region doesn't make much sense, because they are not species that have existed in the wild of this region for any time, they're just Pokemon that this professor brought over.

I mean, there's always the chance that they didn't come from the regions we know them to have originated from, but I doubt we'll see any alternate forms for them, as neat as it would have been.
They also made it so Pokemon with Region Form evos always evolve into that form regardless of its region of origin, so it's not too out there. I forget, did SWSH fix that?

The only fear I have is that Wyrdeer, Basculegion, and Hisuian Braviary were designed solely to be ride pokemon and we don't be seeing much new additions beyond them. Normally I'd be anticipating the game having many more variants/new mons to discover, but I'm still pretty burned by galarian slowpoke being the only new line added to sw/sh across the two DLC's.

Last edited:
Wyrdeer's design is fine but I don't like it as a Stantler evolution. Looks too similar to base Stantler- it feels like should just be a varient.
Odd that stantler's evo looks more like a regional variant than an evolution.
To be fair, Perrserker, another regional evolution, looks a lot like Meowth. And we have also had evolutions that people have said are just “x but bigger” in the past.

The only fear I have is that Wyrdeer, Basculegion, and Hisuian Braviary were designed solely to be ride pokemon and we don't be seeing much new additions beyond them. Normally I'd be anticipating the game having many more variants/new mons to discover, but I'm still pretty burned by galarian slowpoke being the only new line in across the two DLC's.

Well, we know that there's one additional form or Pokemon coming for sure.

There's concept art floating around (since the first trailer) of riding/climbing/gliding and 2 of those silhouettes have now been revealed to be Wyrdeer and Hisuian Braviary so there's the climber left to come. Really have no idea what it's based on though. People are speculating maybe Scraggy or Nuzleaf because of the leaf on the top, but then there's the odd rectangle shape on the back - perhaps that's just the player's backpack though.

As for the other forms, did they reveal Sirfetch'd before Galarian Farfetch'd?

I know they revealed Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, Sandshrew/Sandslash and Meowth/Persian together. & obviously reveals of Marowak, Exeggutor and Weezing came alone because there weren't any other forms to show.

Just trying to look back to what forms were revealed before game drop (or were all forms revealed before?) and see if that indicates whether these 3 will have their pe-evos also be Hisuian or normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we know that there's one additional form or Pokemon coming for sure.

There's concept art floating around (since the first trailer) of riding/climbing/gliding and 2 of those silhouettes have now been revealed to be Wyrdeer and Hisuian Braviary so there's the climber left to come. Really have no idea what it's based on though. People are speculating maybe Scraggy or Nuzleaf because of the leaf on the top, but then there's the odd rectangle shape on the back - perhaps that's just the player's backpack though.

As for the other forms, did they reveal Sirfetch'd before Galarian Farfetch'd?

I know they revealed Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, Sandshrew/Sandslash and Meowth/Persian together. & obviously reveals of Marowak, Exeggutor and Weezing came alone because there weren't any other forms to show.

Just trying to look back to what forms were revealed before game drop (or were all forms revealed before?) and see if that indicates whether these 3 will have their pe-evos also be Hisuian or normal.

Yes, Sirfetch’d was revealed before Galarian Farfetch’d (in fact, I’m pretty sure Galarian Farfetch’d wasn’t revealed at all before the games came out.)

Obstagoon was revealed alongside Zigzagoon and Linoone. Cursola and Perrserker were kept secret until release, if I remember right. And then Mr. Rime and Runerigus were glimpsed in a trailer but not formally revealed.

Also, very few Galarian forms were revealed before SwSh came out. As I recall, we only saw Zigzagoon, Linoone, Weezing, and Ponyta.

(For contrast, for Sun & Moon they revealed basically everything before release. The Geodude line was the only variant that was kept secret. SM and SwSh were polar opposites in terms of marketing strategies.)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom