• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hiun City is New York: A Case for Isshu in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikimora

Reaction score
I've lurked around these forums for a few months, after discovering their existence while looking through Bulbapedia, and especially mostly in the wake of the announcement of Black and White. However, I feel that this is a good time to break my silent streak.

I've seen a few topics about how Isshu, or atleast Hiun City, is based on Hong Kong (this being the foremost argument: http://i40.tinypic.com/2vay1dg.png). Also, I have to admit for a while, my gut reaction was that it was going to be based on the Korean peninsula, because, as I understand it, Pokemon is pretty popular there and recently it's been getting some press time. However, I feel that after digging around, I have come to the conclusion that Hiun City is, infact, New York City.

I'm not the first one to believe this, nor will I be the last to propose this (until we get a map of Isshu that confirms or disproves the theory). However, many who have said it looks like New York have been shot down by people (mostly Hong Kong supporters), citing that a suspension bridge and tall buildings do not, a New York, make. Also, many say that moving the series from Japan to the American East Coast is too huge of a jump.

But here are some points I've come up with to support my claim.

1. The Aesthetics
First, I would like to draw your attention to the basic shapes of each of the cities. Here is a picture of Hiun City I took from Bulbapedia's page on Isshu:

Isshu.png

Now let's compare this picture to the end of Manhattan:

manhattan-skyline-picture.jpg

Now, this comparison is the most basic. I've already pointed out that people have said that just because Hiun City has tall buildings and a bridge, it doesn't mean it's based on New York. However, let's go into the finer details.

Of course, none of the previous Pokemon cities and towns looked exactly like the cities or towns they represented, however they generally maintain similar aesthetics. Etruceak City, for example, doesn't exactly look like Kyoto (the city it's based on), but has the same feeling that Kyoto does, with having numerous temples and ancient looking buildings, much like the real life Kyoto has. This is also the case for Hiun City.

If we take a look at the buildings as a whole, we will notice that both Hiun and New York have similar building colors: grey, brick-red, tan, glass, etc. Let's take a look at Hong Kong:

hong-kong2.jpg

Now, you're probably thinking, "Well, that picture of Hong Kong also features those colors." However, if you'll notice, the frequencies of brick and tan buildings in the Hong Kong photo is lower than it is in the picture of Hiun and New York, which both have about the same frequencies of colors.

But, the differences don't end there. Let's take a look at the buildings themselves. The buildings in Hong Kong have a very distinct look: their roofs tend to be slanted. I'll illustrate my point using a picture that's closer to the buildings:

exampletv.png

(I didn't count the big building because it seemed too obvious)

However, if we take a look at New York and Hiun, we see that they both have a majority flat roofed buildings.

Something else you can see, when you compare buildings, is that some of the buildings in Hiun City look almost identical to the ones in New York City (in advance, sorry for the poor picture quality):

example1i.png

I've looked through some pictures of Hong Kong, and have yet to yield any results as close to these.

2. The Bridge
The biggest argument for Hong Kong supporters is the bridge off to the right in the Isshu picture. They say is closely resembles the Tsing Ma Bridge, a bridge that connects the islands of Tsing Yi and Ma Wan together. But to me, the bridge more looks not like the Brooklyn Bridge (which Hong Kong supporters have shot down in the past), but the George Washington Bridge, a lesser known bridge within eyesight of the Brooklyn Bridge. If you put the three bridges together, you'll see what I mean:

bridges.png

Notice that even though the support of the Hiun City Bridge is slightly more closer to the Tsing Ma Bridge, the actual bridge part is almost identical to the George Washington's one. The Tsing Ma's road looks sleek and smooth, while the George Washington's and Hiun City's one looks more unrefined and industrial. Also, the color scheme of the Hiun City's Bridge is closer to the George Washington Bridge than it is to the Tsing Ma Bridge.

Also, as stated before, not everything in the Pokemon universe is exactly like what it represents. So we can forgive Game Freak for taking artistic license on the support structure.

3. Cultural Reasons
All we know about Isshu, as a whole, is that it's "located much further away from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh than the four are from each other." (quote taken from the Isshu page of Bulbapedia) What this means is that it's most likely not set in any part of Japan, nor is it Korea (because Korea is near where Hoenn is supposedly located).

"But that means that it could be Hong Kong!" you might say, "That's far away from Japan, yet close enough to make cultural sense." However, I know numerous Chinese immigrants (convenient, right?), and all of them detest the Japanese because of the Rape of Nanking (read the wiki article Here). I feel that making a Japanese game set in China would be roughly akin to an American game being based in Russia. While this isn't unheard of, it's just rather uncommon.

4. Location, Location, Location
Some agree with me that it will be in America, but it would be in San Fransisco or some other West Coast locale, mainly because of it's location on the Pacific, and history of Japanese immigration. However, I don't feel that this necessarily is a solid argument, because we've already have been in the Atlantic area.

Faraway Island, an area in Emerald only available though an event item, and home to Mew, is popularly thought to be in South America. This is mainly due to the journal entries located in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island, which states, "A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle" in Guyana, which is located on the Atlantic Coast. Also, as you can imagine, it is indeed far away from Japan.

Something else that bodes well for the New York area is its location. New York City's location near Long Island makes it a prime target for a region similar to Hoenn or Sinnoh. I mean, can't you imagine this being a region?

6a00d8341bfae553ef01157087c6a2970b-800wi

In conclusion:
I feel that people write off America too quickly because Pokemon is a Japanese game, and thus far all the main regions have been based in Japan. But, given the information we have, I feel that Hiun City is New York City, and Isshu is Long Island. I could be wrong, I could have missed a fact or something, but I feel that for the most part, my logic and facts I've presented are right. Feel free to pick it apart if I got something wrong :p

Anyways, thank you for reading my post. It took me a while to get all the facts and write the thing.

Always nice to see more guesses based on more than wishful thinking.

Of course I'm still betting on it being Hong Kong because a) I'd like to play a game set in a fictional Hong Kong and b) if it's Hong Kong then I win a free copy of the game :)

Oh god you're right. America is getting a region (assuming Orre isn't in America already of course.)

Also, welcome to the forums. You seem like a bright chap, and while I haven't been posting much, I look forward to seeing you around.

Well thought out (though, I'm going to bet that the Twin Towers WILL NOT be there). The thing is... I'm not sure. Both Hong Kong and NYC would make sense, at least to me. It's really hard to tell. I'm going with Hong Kong for the Asian factor (the business men are obviously asian) plus I want China as a region (Seriously, think about it).

plus I want China as a region (Seriously, think about it).

You do realize the entire nation of China probably won't be in the game and a region from China will be instead? (China would still be a country, just like Japan is still a country in the games.) Region=Province, state, or territory.

Well-made points! However, if Isshu was based on a region in America and if Hiun City was NYC, then the region itself would be a Pokemon counterpart would probably be the New York State rather than Long Island since it's obviously not one of our states and it would be instead an island belonging to said region. I still believe it's Hong Kong and Isshu is a region based on China and/or Hiun City is based on Seoul and Isshu is based on South Korea, the very fact that Isshu is referred to as a "region" rather than a state. The style and layout of the city even reminds me of Hong Kong along with the fashion style of the girl.

Plus, if it were an American state, most likely, it would be named after an English term. (Though in Chinese, Isshu means "a state".) In my opinion, if it were based on a state in America, it would be California, but that's just my opinion, again.

Last edited:
You do realize the entire nation of China probably won't be in the game and a region from China will be instead? (China would still be a country, just like Japan is still a country in the games.) Region=Province, state, or territory.

Why not? Shrink it down a bit and it would fit nicely.

-_-; The last place I want to go for a region is Long Island. Right there with Jersey. Farther north, pls.

Also, if that bridge in Hiun City is really in relation to NYC...it's goin' to Brooklyn. Not Jersey, like the Washington Bridge does.

Those are great points. A lot of people say Hong Kong but I've kinda thought America. But like you said, people like to rule out america because pokemon is japanese. Although I would say we can't judge where it could be right now since we've only seen 1 city. Everybody has been judging where it will be based on this one city. Once more cities are released the location will become easier to point out.

citymap.png

Now, the question is, what can be made of the map of the city?

It's obvious the green parts are the green door things.

Thinking back to how they said it will be far from the other regions, and now looking at these pictures, I think you may be on to something. It does seem like New York.

citymap.png

Now, the question is, what can be made of the map of the city?

It's obvious the green parts are the green door things.

I can definitely see quite a few docks/ports and it looks isolated to me sorta...like it's either an island or a peninsula.

Shrink it down? Considering that it took Pokemon ten years and four games to convert 2/3rds of japan into a game world I seriously doubt they're going to turn from Hong Kong to the Himalayas to Mongolia into a single game map.

I'm going to say that by next month's Corocoro we'll be able to say definitively whether or not Hiun is NYC. If it's NYC then Central Park will have to be in the game world, and Central Park would be an important enough area in the game that it would show up in publicity info.

Another thought: How long was the delay between the official japanese announcement of Gen IV and the official american announcement? If this is an unusually long delay based on previous gens then maybe it will be set in america and NoA is planning for something major. The next corocoro is coming out the same week as E3, and setting a pokemon game in america would be a hell of a keynote announcement for Nintendo.

EDIT: So it looks like according to Wiki the american announcement of Diamond and Pearl didn't happen until several months after the japanese version was released. Wow. I guess we've still got a ways to go then.

Last edited:
The "Isshu is far away" quote is continually taken terribly out of context, and the quotes being thrown around on this forum are nothing like the actual message in CoroCoro. I'm still a firm believer that Isshu is located in Japan.

No.

China isn't like America, when it comes to states and territories. Step out of your home region, and things are DRASTICALLY different. (Different languages, road systems, culture, laws, etc, etc.) Same with India.

Yes, states in America have their own little flavor with dialects and state laws, but it's pale in comparision to what China is like. If they shrink Japan, why would they shrink China, one of the largest nations in the world?

Plus, Hong Kong somewhat operates on its own from China economy-wise due to previosly being own by Britain. They have to include the Tibetan Plateau and the rest of Western China, which is completely different from Eastern China. Just no.

Considering that it took Pokemon ten years and four games to convert 2/3rds of japan into a game world I seriously doubt they're going to turn from Hong Kong to the Himalayas to Mongolia into a single game map.[/quote[
This.

I hope it's still Japan. A North American based region just wouldn't feel the same.

The "Isshu is far away" quote is continually taken terribly out of context, and the quotes being thrown around on this forum are nothing like the actual message in CoroCoro. I'm still a firm believer that Isshu is located in Japan.

so what's the actual message?

Great read. Though I guess I'll point out that even if it is NYC-based, the region itself as of now merely should have some body of water nearby. Where the city is located doesn't completely state where the region itself will be. I'd still be willing to say if it's NYC-based then the region will likely be somewhere in the US, but there really are a few options for general areas that fit the criteria of having a body of water nearby (off the top of my head there's the east coast, west coast, gulf of mexico area, alaska, and hawaii), and they could theoretically implant a NYC-based city in any of those.

-_-; The last place I want to go for a region is Long Island. Right there with Jersey. Farther north, pls.

Why is the region being based of Long Island or NJ a problem? The most they really take from they area the designate as the region is the shape, and even that they do things to. The cities are based on other cities anyways. >_>;;;

so what's the actual message?

I though it was said somewhere that you would need an airplane or a boat to travel to the new region from any of the previous regions...
Correct me if I'm wrong T^T

dose it realy mater? idk, i just like if the game is good...(I hope pokemon makes this a good game...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom