• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HM Moves That You Hate Most

I think that six is the perfect maximum number of pokemon to have on hand, and I wouldn't like to see this altered with. Personally, I would introduce the Move Deleter earlier on in the game - perhaps have more than one of them per region, to make deleting a HM move easier.

I think that six is the perfect maximum number of pokemon to have on hand, and I wouldn't like to see this altered with. Personally, I would introduce the Move Deleter earlier on in the game - perhaps have more than one of them per region, to make deleting a HM move easier.

Maybe they can put one in each Pokemon Center or something.

I've always thought Flash, Rock Smash, and Cut were pretty useless for HMs.

Actually that's the point. I don't have "a team" because i have to keep running back and forth to the poke centre to grab the Kricketune that knows cut (or whatever). I like to train ALL my pokes (yes, i know that's much more work than it needs to be) so being able to carry more would be ideal for me. I don't think more than 6 would be easy, because i've always wanted to see (like in the anime) a battle where you must choose the same amount of pokes as your opponent has, (like a 3-on-3 battle, for example).

Also the whole idea of a move deleter sucks, why can't we just replace moves with other moves whether they are HMs or not!?

I have an alternative solution to the whole HM-slave issue which i raised in another thread (i'll grab the title now), the gist of which was that after earning a certain amount of badges, any appropriate poke can use a field move without the need to learn from HM. E.g. After 2 badges any poke can use cut, after 5 badges any water poke can use surf, but only after 8 badges can a water poke climb waterfalls.

Whirlpool, really really weak with lousy effect. Most bullshit HM.
Pretty useless in battle unless you're talking about Lv 30>

Also the whole idea of a move deleter sucks, why can't we just replace moves with other moves whether they are HMs or not!?

The reason HMs can't be deleted, I believe, is as a safeguard to keep you from getting stuck in a situation where you'd need a HM to get back to civilisation but deleted it and boxed your HM (not sure how many people feel the need to box HMs since Gen II, with all the bag space they give you, but they've got to cover all their bases). The only alternative, as I can see, would be to make HMs unbox-able.

Didn't even know HMs could be put into the box. I've never had to or thought to do that.

Hmm, upon double-checking, I see that the bag currently gets unlimited storage space, so PC item storage is defunct. Not sure what the issue is now then (particularly since you can't toss or sell HMs). :p

Hmm, upon double-checking, I see that the bag currently gets unlimited storage space, so PC item storage is defunct. Not sure what the issue is now then (particularly since you can't toss or sell HMs). :p

Probably trading over a Pokemon that knows the move before you obtain the HM.

Probably trading over a Pokemon that knows the move before you obtain the HM.
Nope, even that doesn't work. I've had a few moments where I'd try trading away a Pokemon in my party that might know Fly or some other random HM move, and it just tells me, "This Pokemon knows an HM move and cannot be removed from your party." There's really no way to ditch a Pokemon with an HM move if it'll leave you stranded. Ever try to release a Pokemon that knows Surf, and happens to be the only one that does? It comes back because it "misses you".

Flash, Defog, Whirlpool, pre gen 4 Rock Smash

Maybe they make it so they can't be deleted just because its always been like that

Last edited:
Whirlpool, not only is it a bad move, but because of it's inclusion alongside Waterfall and Surf, anyone who is trying to be balanced by only using a single water type will be forced to take three vital move slots just so that they can go everywhere on the map.

All the water type HMs made my BW Samurott a HM slave. Surf and waterfall aren't bad moves. (My Keldeo carries surf in favor of hydro pump), but there SO MANY OF THEM. Flash as a HM was just idiotic and if I remember correctly defog in DPP was just a way to keep to player out of where they weren't supposed to be.

some non-water types can learn whirlpool, surf, dive, and waterfall, namely certain legendaries.
Such as Tyranitar(Surf, Whirlpool) , Snorlax,(Surf, Whirlpool) Rydhon(Surf Whirlpool) , Heliolisk(Surf) , Sneasel(Surf, Whirlpool) , Rampardos(Surf), Diggersby(Surf), Dragonite (Surf, Waterfall, Dive, Whirlpool), Beratic(Surf, Waterfall) and a bunch more, specifically Surf and HGSS Whirlpool.

some non-water types can learn whirlpool, surf, dive, and waterfall, namely certain legendaries.
Due to the way I play Pokémon, I never use legendaries on my team, and by the time I get them I'll already have a full party, so unless I specifically build my team so that I have two Water HM users, I always end up with what basically amounts to a slave as my Water-Type.

Everything but Surf, Waterfall, and Fly. Those three are actually useful in-battle and in the world. Everything else is weak. Rock Climb and Strength have decent power, but since they are Normal-type moves, that takes away most of their usefulness. Resisted by lots of types, can't even hurt Ghosts, and everything else is normal damage.

Surf, Strength, Fly, and to a degree Waterfall are all great. They have better uses and good power. Dive is okay and had decent power, but at least the underwater bit was fun.

While I don't hate Cut, it's still pretty low on the list of least favorite moves. While it was a decent replacement for Tackle at first, it became very repetitive to have around. Plus, as others have stated, since the trees grow right back the moment you step out of the route/town/etc, it got annoying. Plus low power and somewhat shaky accuracy made it hard to tolerate.

Rock Smash I disliked as an HM, but I'm fine with it as a TM, especially in Gen III. Such a waste of a moveslot back then, but at least now that it's just a TM makes it more useful. Plus, with the Defense-lowering bit, and the fact that it was a pretty early obtainable Fighting move made it somewhat viable (my Pignite in BW, for example, got more mileage out of Rock Smash than Arm Thrust until I got Brick Break). So while as an HM it drove me crazy, now that it's a TM (and hopefully will stay that way), I'm willing to leave it alone. But as an HM, it was terrible.

Flash, Defog, and Whirlpool are the worst of the worst in the HM world. Seriously, they all had such limited uses. I had an easier time just feeling my way through dark and foggy areas than be willing to waste a moveslot on them (plus having the guidebook made it even easier). Whirlpool had potential, but with such weak power and shoddy accuracy, what was the point of it? They all had one, maybe two areas that needed it, most of which could improvise instead, so why they made it "required" is beyond me. While Defog did get a bit better since its debut, now able to remove entry hazards, it's still pretty lame. So those three are the pits.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot about Rock Climb. I'm so-so with it. If it had better accuracy then I would consider it more, but it's not a favorite of mine. But at least it ranks higher than Cut, Flash, Defog, Whirlpool and HM version Rock Smash.

All the water type HMs made my BW Samurott a HM slave.

... But HMs aren't even required in B/W with the exception of one instance where you need to use Cut. You can beat the game without HMs.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom