• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP HMs - Keep or Toss?

If there a move deleter and a move reminder in every pokemon center and tms are reusable, how HMs that big of an issue? "They weaken your team" I always saw that part of the challenge. I say keep them. Just delete them in the pokemon center before big fights

To me faithful remake suggests they will be back just as they were in ORAS
The thing is, back during ORAS, they haven't removed HM's yet. And when it comes to remakes, while it adopted the catching mechanics of Pokemon Go, Let's Go was pretty faithful to the original games, though they did cut out HM's. HM's haven't been used since ORAS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they won't return. Sinnoh is an absolute nightmare when it comes to HM's needed.

I'd be genuinely surprised if they brought HMs back. They haven't been used in ages and even Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee found a way to get around HMs despite effectively being a Yellow remake. Even if they are going for a more faithful D/P remake than I'm expecting with BD/SP, bringing back HMs would seem like such an odd choice after nearly two generations where they avoided the mechanic.

I don't think I was as annoyed by HMs as other fans were, but I'm sure it helped that most of my team members could learn the more useful/powerful HMs too. If all Pokemon Centers have move deleters/move tutors and/or we can access the PC anything like in Sword/Shield in order to get Pokemon who know specific HM moves, then maybe it wouldn't be that bad to have them again, but I'd still prefer for them to toss HMs and find different ways to get around the overworld.

If we have move deleters and relearners in PCs and TMs/TRs are unlimited use, I don't see a problem with HMs being back
But if not then I want them to be removed

Honestly, why can't we just delete the HM move by teaching a new move? I don't understand why we could not delete them ourselves. We can with TMs, why not HMs?

Honestly, why can't we just delete the HM move by teaching a new move? I don't understand why we could not delete them ourselves. We can with TMs, why not HMs?
In the oldest games, I assume it was because you could actually get rid of your HM and then softlock yourself by deleting the HM move. With more modern games, I think it was never really a priority and therefore wasn't changed.

I don't expect HMs to stay unless they want these games to be as faithful to the originals as possible.

Please get rid of them. I remember how annoying it was to climb Mt. Coronet because you needed so many HM's just to get to Spear Pillar. Plus all the other areas that required HM's too. :c

HMs are garbage, but Game Freak being Game Freak, they are absolutely coming back in the remakes.

Hot take - I think HMs offer slight restrictions on the player without too much of a cost. I don't mind the idea, in the story, of having players have to pay some cost for the ability to travel to more places (rock smash / strength / surf) or for the convenience of faster travel (fly). I would really like HMs to return and I would really like more routes to be expanded - a rock-climb hill on an early route with an item on it, a surfable location with a waterfall midway, etc. Making the HM not easy to remove also makes it feel like those decisions carry more weight.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom