• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP HMs - Keep or Toss?

The latest Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl trailer showed Rock Climb walls looking exactly the same as they did back in Diamond and Pearl. They didn't reveal any alternative to HMs. They might be back.

The latest Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl trailer showed Rock Climb walls looking exactly the same as they did back in Diamond and Pearl. They didn't reveal any alternative to HMs. They might be back.
Pls God no

Attachments

• IMG_20210809_114447.jpg
    IMG_20210809_114447.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
An HM replacement feature seems very much like the kind of thing that could help fill up a second trailer, so I think we just haven’t seen it yet. Of course the Rock Climb ledges and stuff are still there - it’s clear that the overworld maps are being kept as faithful as possible. But so were LGPE’s, and those games still avoided HMs.

Wasn’t there also Lanturn going up a waterfall in the overworld (as in, using the HM Waterfall)? That plus the Rock Climb walls… sorry to these games, they are being VERY “faithful”. SMH

I like the idea of having your own Pokemon partners clear obstacles on your Pokemon journey. So I'd like HMs to be kept in some way.

HMs Confirmed! They are even shown on the Pokétch!
Except this time HMs basically exist on an app in the Poketch where players can call on wild Pokemon to use the moves. This isn't really the return of HMs, at least not in the traditional sense given that it's more similar to the Ride Pokemon feature from the seventh generation than anything else. It just seems a bit inaccurate to say that they're confirmed when they still are distinctly different from how HMs were in the original D/P games.

So I... still can't use MY Pokémon to help me overcome obstacles? I'm sorry, but that sucks.

Like, I totally agree that HMs shouldn't take up the spot of any battle moves, because honestly no one needs Cut, Rock Smash or Defog in battle. But I think they could've (should've) moved HMs to that Pokétch app while still requiring the Pokémon in question to be on your team, e. g. you have an Empoleon on your team and that Empoleon (or whichever water-type Pokémon) allows you to use Surf and Waterfall.

So I... still can't use MY Pokémon to help me overcome obstacles? I'm sorry, but that sucks.

Like, I totally agree that HMs shouldn't take up the spot of any battle moves, because honestly no one needs Cut, Rock Smash or Defog in battle. But I think they could've (should've) moved HMs to that Pokétch app while still requiring the Pokémon in question to be on your team, e. g. you have an Empoleon on your team and that Empoleon (or whichever water-type Pokémon) allows you to use Surf and Waterfall.
Forcing me to have a Flying type despite providing no offensive coverage since I always use a Psychic and Fire type would not be fun.

Last edited:
Having HM mules sometimes defeats the purpose of solo runs without catching any HM slaves/mules. This may be why most veterans chose a Water starter.

However, there has been only one game with HMs that allows you to actually solo run with ANY starter. I'm talking about Black and White (NOT B2W2). In these games, only a single use of Cut is required to progress. This means you can choose any starter for a solo run without HM slaves/mules. (In B2W2, Surf and Strength are required instead.)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom