• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh HMs vs Poké Ride vs Secret Techniques

I would love to see HMs come back but change. The way I would love to see it is the HM has no effect on the pokemon's movepool, but would instead add the overworld skill to a special list that allows you to use the skill as needed. I would also add some older effects to this new list, such as Dig, Teleport, Flash, and so on.

Old HMs were bad for your movepool, but the later mechanics are just weird and impersonal to me.

EDIT: Forgot, no skates, no bikes, just let me ride my big boys.

I would love to see HMs come back but change. The way I would love to see it is the HM has no effect on the pokemon's movepool, but would instead add the overworld skill to a special list that allows you to use the skill as needed. I would also add some older effects to this new list, such as Dig, Teleport, Flash, and so on.

Old HMs were bad for your movepool, but the later mechanics are just weird and impersonal to me.

EDIT: Forgot, no skates, no bikes, just let me ride my big boys.
Agreed entirely, save for wanting the bike back. I want to do cool tricks ;_; And riding a tauros to hatch eggs is not exactly relaxing...

Skates were kinda fun too, but less essential.

I would like HMs back. It doesn't feel the same without them. I like using Fly in battle because the opponent will miss. And Surf and Waterfall seem like great moves too. I don't care if they limit my moveset. The only HM I find useless is Flash, because I go for the offensive and wasting a turn lowering accuracy is not my strategy.

I would like HMs back. It doesn't feel the same without them. I like using Fly in battle because the opponent will miss. And Surf and Waterfall seem like great moves too. I don't care if they limit my moveset. The only HM I find useless is Flash, because I go for the offensive and wasting a turn lowering accuracy is not my strategy.
You know these moves are now TMs, right?

I don't know what secret techniques are (I have no plans to find out how they work in those games I'm not mentioning either), but I think if you have a fighting type on your team, those pokemon should be allowed move objects or destroy them if you unlock something inside of the game. Similar things should apply for other traditional things that were typically reserved to HM's.

I don't want HM's back, and Ride Pokemon feel like a waste, if you are supposed to be a part of a "team" with your pokemon, then all of you should work together to advance in the story.

I don't know what secret techniques are (I have no plans to find out how they work in those games I'm not mentioning either), but I think if you have a fighting type on your team, those pokemon should be allowed move objects or destroy them if you unlock something inside of the game. Similar things should apply for other traditional things that were typically reserved to HM's.

I don't want HM's back, and Ride Pokemon feel like a waste, if you are supposed to be a part of a "team" with your pokemon, then all of you should work together to advance in the story.
I would accept that, if they let me use Pokémon in the PC for that. Otherwise, it will take away that freedom again.

EDIT: Or use optional rental Pokémon in case you don't have the right Pokémon. I don't want to be limited again...

Secret Techniques feel like the ideal way to go about this; keeping the personal feel that I liked about HMs while adding in the greater convenience of Ride Pokémon. Should they not be retained in Gen VIII for whatever reason then I'd like to see the system IncineROAR just suggested where these capabilities come from a Pokémon's type. Water is the most common type while Flying is third, so surely it's not unreasonable to add intrinsic Surf or Fly functions to them?

I'm just saying, if I've been able to accommodate a much less common type in Steel with enough frequency to be a rule in my main series teams (something which let me completely laugh off USUM's Ultra Necrozma battle, I have to add), then I'm damn well sure anyone can accommodate Water and/or Flying for transportation purposes.

I would accept that, if they let me use Pokémon in the PC for that. Otherwise, it will take away that freedom again.

EDIT: Or use optional rental Pokémon in case you don't have the right Pokémon. I don't want to be limited again...

Well, it was a basic concept, but it could also just be based on a pokemon's movepool potential too in the way I'm thinking. There are loads of pokemon that could learn a fighting type move; in fact some oversized pokemon like Snorlax could do technically do a multitude of moves.

I think they should take a good look at who learns what anyway, even if HMs returns. Because some Pokemon almost got no support, while others (Bibarel) could fill up their moveset twice over.

Considering ever since gen 5 they've slowly kicled hms to the curb until in gen 7 they got rid of them entirely even in a remake that was centered on making it feel as close to the originals as possible going as far to remove held items abitlies and even pokemon. I'd say hms are gone without a shadow of a doubt.

Secret Techniques look adorable and are very useful. So I vote for them.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom