• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can say that most my hobbies tend to fall on the more creative side of things. The main ones that I have are writing and drawing... which you could also call my two first loves as far as hobbies go. Although I like many types of writing, my favorite has always been fiction writing, which reflects both my incredibly overactive imagination and my love for the fantasical and the unique, as well as the desire to make the many ideas that I come up with into something "real". My love for drawing works much the same way, but unfortunately I'm not as naturally good with drawing as I like to believe that I am with writing. So instead of doing anything super-advanced by my standards like people drawing or anything else that requires a strong natural sense of visual perspective, I've tended to stick to subjects like still lives and completely imaginary creations, which I suppose play more to my strengths as a drawer more than most other things do.

Unfortunately, I haven't done much of either in a very long time... and I partially blame the demands of real life on that. Which is especially frustrating considering that I still have ideas for stories and drawings all the time... I can't help myself. That said, I have hope that this idle period of mine will end soon, especially because I've found myself more inspired than ever after my experiences over the past few years reading Pokémon fanfic and viewing Pokémon fanart (which are two other hobbies of mine). The interesting thing is that this has arguably made me more interested in writing Pokémon-based fiction rather than original fiction nowadays, although that doesn't mean that I don't still have a desire to write original fiction again one day, too.

Besides all of that, I also really like photography, with the kind of pictures I like taking being landscapes, flowers and other plants, and candid shots of people doing whatever. I was able to do a lot of the latter in a photojournalism course that I took way back in high school, but nowadays I tend to do more of the former two. I especially like taking random ordinary things that I see somewhere and using certain photography techniques to try and make them appear more interesting than they otherwise would be in real life, although the results do tend to vary in regards to that.

Other hobbies? Well, I also like cooking and baking things, although what I make is usually pretty simple and nothing special... it's more of the actual process of making something that I enjoy the most. I also like taking long walks on pleasant days in pleasant places, especially those with lots of trees and nature and things like that (which come with a lot of photo opportunities too, as you can probably imagine). If I had a bike, I'd probably do a lot of bike riding too like I did when I was younger... but I unfortunately never got around to getting one in my adult life (maybe one of these days, though).

On the more computer-based side of things, I'll often spend a lot of time researching about technology and how things work. Sometimes I'll do that by reading articles and browsing through forums online, although I also sometimes actually experiment and mess with things in a trial-and-error sort of way to figure out what component does what, what happens if this file is changed or moved over there, etc. And on the more creative side of things, I also like messing around in musical programs like Famitracker that create chiptune music using emulated sound chips from old 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, although I can't say that I'm terribly good at actually creating anything musically pleasant out of those. It can be fun to experiment with all of the unique sounds from those consoles, though!

Aside from playing video games, watching anime, and having interest in certain series, I really love reading about pets, wildlife, and nature. I like to draw as well, as evidenced on my notes. I used to play violin and I would love to get back into it, as well as learn piano and some other instruments, like cello. I have a collection of plushies, video games and some anime/video game merch. I definitely want to expand on the video game collection but I'm being a bit more conservative with spending at the moment because I'm trying to save up for a dog. xD I'd like to say listening to music is a hobby, but it's mainly classical (including contemporary like video game music/soundtracks) or instrumental. I don't have favorite bands, I have favorite composers :p

As for stuff I want to get into, I really want to get into fanfic writing like my friends (specifically ones that have reader x character) but my mind isn't as open with writing as it used to be. I'd love to get into photography to take pictures of nature and pets, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd also love to get into painting, but it's the same. I know some basics of horseback riding thanks to the equine studies minor I'm in and I'd love to get more riding lessons but they're expensive! Lastly, I definitely want to do more clay sculpting.

I've made my hobby of drawing and painting into a career. I love it. I make my own hours and I'm my own boss (technically my commissioners are my bosses, but they are awesome folks who I love to work with).

I also love to collect toys, video games, any merchandise with my favorite characters on them, watch movies, play video games, going for walks and drives, travelling, and just sit on my lawn chair and listen to music when the weather is good.

20180310_123007.jpg

Here's my collection of bandanas I mentioned earlier in thread. :]

Rock collecting, Pokemon TCG card collecting, video games, drawing, making 3d models, origami, listening to music and dissociating, wood carving, reading, cleaning.

Writing, drawing, writing, video games, reading, writing, kicking ass, writing, writing, music, movies, writing...

But seriously. Writing. Glob I love it. Used to suck like hell, of course, when I thought that having interesting events was just an option indulged by the pretentious goodie-goodies who knew as much about literature as they do about the things they write about. I've wizened up though, but barely.
Another hobby is reading up about the Star Wars cast, idolizing them, praying for them, offering to donate my kidneys to them and/or throw myself into an oncoming train on the basis of their whims.

I also sing a lot. Have made enormous progress because once I couldn't shift between a note before without sputtering and choking and groaning like a horrible engine being submerged in acid... now, I can sing the few bits of Flaming Star that I remember with some aptitude. But alas, I brag. *dramatically brings hand to brow*

image.jpg

I made dak bulgogi (chicken in a semi-sweet sauce, Korean food) and takikomi gohan (rice with miso and carrots and stuff, Japanese food) for lunch! :D I really like trying out new recipes from different parts of the world. I should make this more often; it was really good :D

As opposed to my previous answer, reading has become one of my favorite hobbies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exercising is one of my two top hobbies. I exercise everyday, mostly in the mornings when it's cooler, and I make a point to go to the gym and because of that, I got a membership. This hobby of mine started in early high school, P.E. was always one of my favorite classes that I decided to have the class all four years instead of just two, because of that I decided to exercise on day offs/holidays/vacations as well and so it just stuck with me. It's funny cause my brother thought I wouldn't stick with it, though I've long since proved him wrong lol, he sometimes joins in on my routine or occasionally at the gym now.

The second top hobby of mine is figurine collecting. I collect figurines from anime and video games specifically, currently I am trying to complete my Touken Ranbu collection of characters they have out so far, both the Nendoroid's and full scale ones. It's a very expensive hobby, but one I enjoy all the same. My father has now been asking which figurine I don't have yet every time when my birthday and Christmas rolls around, one time he actually got me a Iori Izumi figure of him in his rabbit hoodie (both white and blue in a set) even though I was already saving up for it.

Gaming is another hobby of course, this one started because my father introduced me to it. My first game I played with him was FFIV, it did kick off me being a FF fan too! Specifically I mainly play RPG's though I do like other genres as well, puzzle games would be my second favorite of the bunch.

Watching anime and reading manga is another hobby started by my father yet again. Though I think he might be a bigger nerd for it than I am surprisingly lol, we will recommend series to each other sometimes or talk about a certain series occasionally.

This one I share with my mother and brother, gardening. It's always fun to plant flowers in the garden and it has a calming effect on me, it's also nice to grow your own veggies.

And finally drawing is another one I like. While I don't do it as much as most, it's still fun to grab a piece of paper, or the tablet, and draw favorite animals and characters every once in a while. I'm actually thinking of getting my drawing book out again and sketch out my parakeet Sweet Pea, or maybe I'll draw a FE character.

I always wanted to become a pro musician and make my own music. Now it's my main hobby. A few years ago I started learning the guitar and watch tutorials about music production. Luckily I found bluebuzzmusic blog here https://bluebuzzmusic.com with useful tips and articles for musicians. Hope with its help I'll be able recording my own music in the near future. I can't imagine my life without music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom