• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Hoenn Adventure [5/5] - CLOSED!

(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
Yeah I get that definitely but we also have two Coordinators and only one person can win the Grand Festival, which I feel should be decided by more than roleplay. Unless one person will be willing to just lose at something that's so important to their character motivation. Also what about inflicting Status effects? Those are always random. Maybe there could be a compromise between the two?
I was thinking that the probability of status conditions is still random; maybe use an RNG for that.
Or...have someone referee the battles. This whole subforum on UPN, though it is no longer in use, offers a lot of battles to look through, and also how to referee a battle.
 
Hear me roar!
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
6,818
Reaction score
7,289
I think dice rolls are good for things, but it can depend when it comes to anime style battles, knowing that attacks can be used to block or disrupt other attacks, or be used in a creative way to dodge.
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
We will roll for Status for sure. Like when a move has a 10% chance to Poison you only get Poisoned if you roll a 1. If it's 30% - you get poisoned if you roll 1-3. Percentages translate well to a 10% die and letting players roll makes it more of a collaboration. Power of the moves should be fixed as its in-game Power + type effectiveness. But Accuracy should be rolled too. With a possibility to dodge. Since in real life hitting something is not always guaranteed either. Even when it seems it is. And to not just leave it up to chance adding boosts is important. after you boost your accuracy enough you probably won't miss even with a bad throw.

It's important for me to keep that game element. But I will also keep in mind what Luxray said - those elements are important and I will keep it in mind.

So I think blocking would make it so a pokemon will sustain a minimal amount of damage (like blocking in a fighting game). But I'm not sure how dodging would work. Do you have suggestions?
 
(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
Also, should we add Natures for our Pokémon?
 
(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
This is what I thought: for dodging, the second Trainer to issue their commands in one turn has the option of dodging. To help determine whether a dodge is successful, the referee, if we end up going with that idea, considers each Pokémon's speed. The faster the dodging Pokémon is than the attacking Pokémon, the more likely a dodge is to succeed. (If we end up going with the referee idea, the ref would determine that based on their knowledge of Pokémon.)
 
How did I get here? I need to know.
Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Messages
157
Reaction score
45
I feel like the dice is a good way to go, I'm used to it since my RPG experience was mostly dnd.
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
Also, should we add Natures for our Pokémon?
I don't think it will play a big enough role to worry about it.

This is what I thought: for dodging, the second Trainer to issue their commands in one turn has the option of dodging. To help determine whether a dodge is successful, the referee, if we end up going with that idea, considers each Pokémon's speed. The faster the dodging Pokémon is than the attacking Pokémon, the more likely a dodge is to succeed. (If we end up going with the referee idea, the ref would determine that based on their knowledge of Pokémon.)
But then one pokemon will always be able to dodge. And the slower pokemon will never be able to dodge unless they boost their speed which would still only put them on levelled playing field. The random element gives everyone a chance.
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
Maybe let's add dodging as a modifier. If one person decides to dodge they lower the enemies chances of hitting the target (so a negative to their Accuracy).
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
Also in situations were there is no possibility of a miss - for example if you shoot someone point blank or punch an enemy that's already pinned to the wall or use a move that is 100% Accuracy you don't need to roll. But I don't want to be the final arbiter of all of the attacks because it can result in hurt feelings. Especially where the situation is not clear cut.
 
All cards on the field are destroyed!
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
924
Maybe let's add dodging as a modifier. If one person decides to dodge they lower the enemies chances of hitting the target (so a negative to their Accuracy).
I'm fine with that.

Also some other questions:
-How is friendship going to work in this? (I ask because literally everyone with a starter that can evolve has a friendship evolution)
-Is there a move reminder? (I ask this question because Chimecho learns a bunch of moves that Chingling doesn't and I'm pretty sure the same applies to Riolu/Lucario and Azurill/Marill/Azumarill)
 
(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
I don't think it will play a big enough role to worry about it.

But then one pokemon will always be able to dodge. And the slower pokemon will never be able to dodge unless they boost their speed which would still only put them on levelled playing field. The random element gives everyone a chance.
Natures could play a part in damage calculation.

Yeah, I was thinking that who goes first is decided by an RNG picking between 1 and 2 to decide who goes first in each turn, as a random element.

Also, I don't think we should do accuracy like in the games. The accuracy is instead the speed of a move's execution, to measure the probability of dodging. For example, Blizzard, which has 70% accuracy, is executed "slower" than Ice Beam, which has an accuracy of 100%. Pokémon with base 70 Speed have a 50-50 chance to dodge Blizzard, while they would only have a 20% chance to dodge Ice Beam. Pokémon with base 100 Speed have an 80% chance to dodge Blizzard and a 50% chance to dodge Ice Beam.
 
(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
The above in regards to dodging only applied if you actually choose to dodge. Otherwise, the attack goes by standard accuracy.
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
Also some other questions:
-How is friendship going to work in this?
-Is there a move reminder?
- Friendship will be a scale of 0-100. When a Pokemon achieves 100 it will evolve from Happiness. You gain a set amount after:
- winning a battle (+5 for a normal battle in the wild, +10 for an important battle - for example winning a ribbon/badge or defeating an elite four member)​
- levelling up (+2)​
- being caught in a Friendball (+10)​
- taking care of your pokemon (like brushing its fur/feeding it berries - think PokeAmie) (+5)​
- fainting (-1)​
- Yes, in the same place as normally. But as I said before the limit is 6 moves so you can keep more moves than in the games.
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
Also, I don't think we should do accuracy like in the games. The accuracy is instead the speed of a move's execution, to measure the probability of dodging. For example, Blizzard, which has 70% accuracy, is executed "slower" than Ice Beam, which has an accuracy of 100%. Pokémon with base 70 Speed have a 50-50 chance to dodge Blizzard, while they would only have a 20% chance to dodge Ice Beam. Pokémon with base 100 Speed have an 80% chance to dodge Blizzard and a 50% chance to dodge Ice Beam.
That would make it pretty boring and it would grow tedious to math everything out with every move. I prefer the Tabletop system. It's a good balance between just deciding on your own and calculating every move. Also it is easy to understand for everyone. Also it's kind of the point of this game that it works on Tabletop Rules.

So I am set on using dice, but all the questions made me rethink some other aspects. I will post what I came up with after this post.
 
Last edited:
Battle System - UPDATE
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301

Every move in a battle will be perceeded by an Accuracy check. Roll a 10 sided die to check if your attack hit the mark or not and then describe what it does. Every Accuracy boost will add +1 to the roll and everything that lowers accuracy adds a -1 modifier. If a trainer decides to dodge the attack they will lower the attacker's Accuracy by -2.​
The Power of an attack will be decided by its in-game Power + type effectiveness.​
Blocking an attack will allow the Pokemon to sustain only 10% of the damage it would normally inflict.​
Moves that "always hit" do not need an Accuracy check and will never miss.​
One-hit KO moves will not be affected by any Accuracy boosts and will only hit upon rolling 8 or higher.​
If your move has a possibility to inflict Status Condition the target will have to roll the dice to see if it succeeded. If a move has a 10% chance to Poison they only get Poisoned if they roll a 1. If it's 30% - they get poisoned if they roll 1-3, etc.​
You cannot disrupt another Pokemon's move unless it's a two-turn move (Fly, Dive, etc.)​

I hope this covers everything that raised questions and if you have any more, please ask away! Now it is 5 AM and I had no sleep at all, so I think I'm clocking out.
You can expect a Start Up after I get some sleep.​
 
(Slime) Dragon Pokémon
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
1,133
Reaction score
479
I don't mean to keep this discussion going, but how will you account for moves that are executed in an unorthodox manner? For example, spinning and using Water Gun to send water flying in all directions?

For that matter, what will the Ability Compound Eyes do? Since it multiplies accuracy by 1.3x, then three additional numbers will be counted as hits?
 
Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Joined
Dec 29, 2019
Messages
596
Reaction score
301
I don't mean to keep this discussion going, but how will you account for moves that are executed in an unorthodox manner? For example, spinning and using Water Gun to send water flying in all directions?

For that matter, what will the Ability Compound Eyes do? Since it multiplies accuracy by 1.3x, then three additional numbers will be counted as hits?
Every tactical move that would make it harder to avoid an attack gives +1 to Accuracy. Compound Eyes adds +2 because 3 is too much.
 
Top