• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Hoenn's True Regional Bird

Jersey Jimmy

sell ecstacy at dragoncon!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Okay, this has been bugging me for a while. Tailow and Swellow are commonly accepted as the "regional bird line" of Hoenn, but Wingull and Pelipper are much more common. Plus, as Talonflame taught us, the regional bird doesn't have to be Normal/Flying (I still think Hoothoot and Noctowl should be Psychic/Flying, and even Staraptor might work as Fighting/Flying). So I ask of you, who is Hoenn's true regional bird?

And don't even get me started on Swablu and Altaria.

somefin I just found out is that swellow and pelipper actually share the same BST (430). I had considered them both to share the title a la fearow/pidgeot, and this only reinforces my belief.

if there only had to be one for some reason, I'd roll with swellow just for sharing the same generic typing as most of the others.

I've been under the impression that the regional bird is the first flying-type you encounter in the game that was introduced at the same time as the region you're in. So, Taillow + Swellow.

Last edited:
You'd need access to them early in the game, but Swablu is found before you get the fourth gym badge, and it is pretty rare so it can't really be a 'regional bird' as we know it, even if it is a Hoenn native.

I'd say Taillow for the typing. Fletchling is Normal/Flying before it evolves, mind.

I mean if we base it on the anime (because Ash always catches the regional bird) then Swellow is the winner.

I wouldn't use Talonflame not being Normal/Flying as the basis for Pelipper though. Because Fletchling starts Normal/Flying like every regional bird, unlike Wingull. And Fletchling is the only Gen VI early bird so even though it changes type it's obviously the regional bird; Wingull has competiton in Normal/Flying Taillow as another early game bird and it fits the trend better than it, so it isn't as clear cut.

They probably are both meant to be, but I've always seen it as Swellow and probably always will.

Haha, "Trumpet birbs."
I'm going with Taillow. It's the first bird you can encounter, is Normal + Flying at one stage at least, and Ash caught it just like every regional bird ever.

I can not see any valid reason to consider Wingull/Pelipper as Hoenn's regional bird.

It's a tropical region surrounded by water, and typically with areas like this, waterfowl are common. By this fact alone, the Wingull line has some claim to the title. Swallows are also prominent in tropical areas., although they tend to remain further inland.

I would vote "both" for this one, simply because, based on the real world, both would be incredibly common.

I've been under the impression that the regional bird is the first flying-type you encounter in the game that was introduced at the same time as the region you're in. So, Taillow + Swellow.

I'm fairly certain that you can't find wild Taillow until Petalburg Woods, but you can find Wingull on the route before that.

I'm fairly certain that you can't find wild Taillow until Petalburg Woods, but you can find Wingull on the route before that.

Ah, well, that's awkward. :p Was thinking that Taillow was found a route before Wingull, but it seems not. Thanks for pointing it out!

Wingull is basically the avian version of Zubat.

I love Crobat tho. Wingull/pelipper not so much. So taillow unless we talking TCG

I also like Crobat [size=-7](and Zubat)[/size] but I'm just saying that Wingull are just as common as Zubat are. Anyhow I still think that Taillow is the ''regional bird'' of the Hoenn region.

Ah, well, that's awkward. :p Was thinking that Taillow was found a route before Wingull, but it seems not. Thanks for pointing it out!

You can find Taillow as early as the same route where you find Ralts in RS iirc. They changed the encounter places slightly in Emerald.

You can find Taillow as early as the same route where you find Ralts in RS iirc. They changed the encounter places slightly in Emerald.

From what I found on Bulbapedia, Wingull can be found on Route 103 in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, whereas Taillow is first found on Route 104. Ralts is first found on Route 102, but you can't get Taillow there (which I find odd, since I also thought it was on that route as well).

Wingull / Pelipper – They are the ones you encounter first in SRE. Plus I like them better, but that is personal preference.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom