• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Holidays

rbogey

Typhlosion!
Reaction score
What kind of holidays do you think exist in the Poke-world? This doesn't include festivals and holidays already scene in the anime.

I can see a festival in Spring regarding Shaymin, or maybe Ho-Oh being involved in the Summer solstice.

What are your ideas about the holidays? Maybe they would all revolve around legendaries.

Maybe something about the bird trio seeing how Articuno is tied to Winter, Zapdos to Spring, and Moltres to Summer. Can't remember where I first heard of this.

Well, if the dub is to be believed Halloween and Christmas exist.

Though Christmas would probably be mewmas or whatever.

I also can see New Years having something to do with Dialga or Celebi.

Christmas is probably like it is in Japan: Christianity doesn't exist (Arceusism is prominent), so it's an entirely commercial holiday.

Other holidays vary by region like they do with actual countries. For example, Johto's New Year's festival is held in honor of Ho-Oh, and Sinnoh (namely Floaroma) has a holiday for Shaymin in the Summer.

I think Ho-oh would be a great patron of Thanksgiving in the Pokemon world. It seems to embody the preparation for winter and the end of a long summer.

I could see some sort of coming of spring festival in Johto that focuses on Ho-Oh.

Maybe something about the bird trio seeing how Articuno is tied to Winter, Zapdos to Spring, and Moltres to Summer. Can't remember where I first heard of this.

Several Pokédex entries, particularly in Platinum, state that Moltres "indicates the coming of spring." Perhaps Zapdos ties to summer?

I think there was mention of Croagunk celebrations in Pastoria City. Maybe there are some more location-specific Pokémon holidays, like an honorary Slowpoke day in Azalea Town.

Possibly due to their dex entries, but you've gotten int completely mixed up. The only one you have correct is Arcticuno. According to its Silver and Crystal entries, its appearance indicates the coming if spring. Zapdos, while not the bringer of summer, is linked to the thunderstorms (Crystal Entry) which are prominent during the season.

Christmas is probably like it is in Japan: Christianity doesn't exist (Arceusism is prominent), so it's an entirely commercial holiday.

How could Arceusism be prominent when its treated more like ancient mythology than a still-existent religion? That's what I never understand with people who act like people still worship Arceus.

And how do you know that Christianity doesn't exist when there are clearly references to real-world locations, objects and concepts in the games? Just because they don't mention it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It makes you wonder if they have a love-based holiday like Valentine's Day.

Given the status of pokemon like Luvdisc, Volbeat, and Illumise, one would think to the legendary pokemon for one that would be the love holiday's mascot...

I came up with Mew. It IS a fetus, and that results from love <3

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom