1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!

Holly Jolly Challenges - Writing Holiday Contest 2017

Discussion in 'Bulbagarden Holiday Event 2017' started by diamondpearl876, Dec 2, 2017.

1. diamondpearl876

diamondpearl876 just like wildfire

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Every year, we like to have at least one contest for the more creative side of the fandom! This year is no exception. The challenges explained below focus on creative writing and are holiday-themed to celebrate this joyous time of the year!

[​IMG]
    Inspired by the journeying aspect of the franchise, we'd like you to write a short story about a character of your choice - original or canon - traveling to visit family for the holidays and what happens when your character stops at a Pokémon Center to stay overnight. Where is your character going, exactly? Where are they from? Who are they traveling with, if anybody? Does a snowstorm trap them in the Pokemon Center and shenanigans happen? We want to know more!

[​IMG]

To celebrate the 1000th episode of the anime and the 20th movie, choose a character from the anime and write a letter from them to Ash Ketchum during the holidays. What's changed since this character saw Ash? Does the character want to thank Ash for helping them become a better person or trainer or something else? Characters in the anime very rarely show up again, so this is a chance to write about them and show us your interpretation of those characters!

[​IMG]

To celebrate the release of USUM, we actually want to focus on villains for this challenge. How does a villain, who rarely is shed in a positive light, spend their time during the jolliest time of the year? Who's on Giovanni's naughty or nice list? Are Maxie and Archie getting along for one day and doing some charity work for Hoenn? We ask that you write a short story or poem about any character from any villain team during the holidays!

Those are your three challenges! And now, time some good ol' fashioned Q&A!

How do I take part?

You pick one of the three challenges explained below, then submit an entry that fits the spirit of what the challenge asks of you!

Can I write for more than one challenge?

Of course! We won't stop you if you really want to test your skills or are really inspired by the challenges! You can submit a maximum of three entries (one per challenge) for the contest. If you submit more than one entry, each of them will be judged separately.

How do I submit my entry/entries?

Awesome! We suggest proofreading and glancing over your work once or twice to see if there's any changes you want to make first. When you're all ready to submit, post your entry in the sub-forum made for this contest. Don't worry - only you and the judges will be able to see your entry!

Is there a deadline?

Yes! All entries must be received by 11:55 p.m. on Sunday, December 31, US Pacific Standard Time.

What happens after I submit my entry/entries?

Our judges will read each entry, then pick one winner based on who impresses the judges most with their creativity and best ideas that fit the spirit of the challenge. That winner will receive a 3DS Pokémon title of their choice or another Pokémon related prize of a similar value for those who have already gotten all the games they need!

Other important things to know!

- All entries for this contest must be your own, original work. In the event that any plagiarism is discovered, your entry will be disqualified from this and any future Bulbagarden holiday contests.
    - All entries must not have been posted to the Internet prior to the beginning of this contest, including any material you may have made for the creative challenges from past Bulbagarden holiday contests.

What if I still have questions?

No problem! We encourage you to use this thread to post any questions you might have as well as the draft of your entry/entries. If we see any work in progress in this thread that won't qualify for the contest for whatever reason, we'll let you know. If for some reason you don't submit an entry you gave an excerpt for in this thread by the deadline, we'll take a look at the excerpt we've seen here during the judging phase.

Good luck and have fun, everyone! And of course, happy holidays. ;D

2. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Is it possible for a person to win in two challenges?

3. diamondpearl876

Blog Posts:
    There's only one winner overall. ^^ You can write for two challenges or even all three if you want! But those two or three entries will be judged separately - as in, you won't get extra points for writing more than one entry.

I hope that clears things up! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's a way I can make things clearer in the first post!

PkmnTrainerV likes this.
  4. UselessBytes

UselessBytes Plus Ultra!

Blog Posts:
    Hoo boy, it’s time for these again. I’ll get right on the first and third, but I’m not feeling the second one

diamondpearl876 likes this.
  5. PocketSnails68

PocketSnails68 The Original Super Nerd

Blog Posts:
    *Cracks knuckles; opens up Word document; writer's block until December 30 like the past two years* IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN!

diamondpearl876 likes this.
  6. UselessBytes

UselessBytes Plus Ultra!

Blog Posts:
    Just a question - how closely do we have to follow the prompts? I know that we’ll have to at least keep the basic idea, but do we have to keep the details? For example, in the Winter Wanderer prompt, do they have to stay specifically overnight at a Pokémon center?

7. diamondpearl876

Blog Posts:
    The overnight stay should be mentioned at some point, but how much you use that part of the prompt and other details are all yours! The ideas phrased as questions are not required - they're just there to give examples of what you could do with the prompt. ^^