• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Horse Pokemon

Nikkolas

Reaction score
So a lot of Pokemon are obviously based on real animals. Now I'm mainly a Gen 1 guy because that's what I grew up with and when you're a tween at the height of Pokemania, you better damn well be able to name all 150.

Anyway, I do still try to keep up with some of the newer and more interesting critters. To my knowledge there's been numerous Mouse/Rat Pokemn and quite a few dogs as well. The former is for obvious reasons (Mascot exploitation) and of course dogs are man's best friend.

But what about horses? As far as I know, only the beloved Gen 1's Ponyta and Rapidash are clearly based on horses.
Since the Pokemon developers do love to cater to cuteness, you'd think they'd at least have a few Pony Types.

So are there any other Horse Pokemon? And if not, ay ideas why?

@Nikkolas; I've moved your thread to World as it seems a more suitable place.

As for Horse Pokémon, Gen V introduced two new Pokémon, Blitzle and Zebstrika, which are based on Zebras, which are closely related to Horses.

Arceus is equine like too physically and his movements on PBR and his sprite movements in DPPt.

The only horse-based Pokemon we have are Ponyta (Pony), Rapidash (Unicorn), Blitzle (Zebra Pony), Zebstrika (Zebra), and Keldeo (Sea Pony). There are still some hooved species who have yet to become Pokemon:

Adult Horses (Rapidash w/o the horn)
Donkeys
Pegasus
Cydale
Those Asian wild horses whose names are faint in my mind
Alicorns

Here are some Horse-like pokemon, which, i mean that, like horses, have four hooves.

Sawsbuck - Deer
Stantler - Reindeer
Girafarig - Giraffe

Keldeo is a kelpie, a mythological beast that was a type of pony-unicorn of water.

It is mostly a pony of sorts. Or a "colt" as the pokédex calls it.

Worth mentioning is that the musketeers are deer instead (yes, even Terrakion), making him the odd one out.

I find it odd though that until Gen V we didn't have any more pokémon closely related to horses. There were some other hooved animals, sure, but not equines. Despite being rather prominent in myths.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom