• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How are you romanizing the new Japanese names?

Zekurom

is obsessed with Noivern!
Reaction score
Before any official romanizations surface, there are a ton of fanmade romanizations of the new BW Pokemon names. Name a few that you personally use.

For example:
I now call Sazando Sazandra, because of that missing "ra" that was caught.
I also say Ranculus for Rankurusu and Doriyuz for Doryuuzu. Apparently, somebody at TVTropes picked that up and changed it to "Doryuz".
And contrary to popular belief, Zekrom is still romanized as such when I use it. I don't use Zekurom.
I also call Denchura Dentula. You know why.

I'm going to move this to the Black/White section since it's a tad more relevant there.

I can't pronounce a majority of them anyway, so I just use nicknames such as "The dragon with snakes for arms" or "That gothic girl".

Who comes out with the offical ones, GF? I imagine most Pokemon names wouldn't differ too much from the standard system (whichever GF favours) of romanization, anyway?

However the PokeDex I'm currently looking at spells it is the way I spell it.

It's too difficult to remember all the names by heart, so whatever cheat sheet is the easiest to access is the way I go. And remember to always add descriptions.

I'm just waiting until their english names are released. If I learn any of the Japanese names, I'll only refer to them as that and confuse people I talk to.

Most often exactly as the Kana reads, long vowels and all.

Also, if I can see the meaning, oftentimes I'll use that. Ononox and Hihidharma instead of, say, Ononokusu (オノノクス). At the same time, I won't for some like Gochiruzeru and Deskan.

For names that're the same in Japanese and English (Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini), I go by the English spelling. Also, I say they're "Zorroa(rk)" and "Kyurem"

If I can come up with something logical I'll use that as it's easier for me to remember. For example, the rather obvious Jalord. I also, probably less correctly, romanise Janobii as Janoble. It...makes sense to me, anyway. I know it would've been, like, jan-oo(long o)-be-ru if that were intended, but...eh. Leave me be xD

I just say it how I see it. I still say Denchura and occasionally even Chiramii.

Ononox instead of, say, Ononokusu (オノノクス).
But Ononokusu is so fun to say! D:
Oh no, no kusu!

I make it a habit to always use a combination of Hepburn romanization and romanization according to the source language, with the source language taking precedence (except of course in the case of official romanizations). For example, for チャオブー I use the Hepburn romanization of Chaobū (not Chaobu or Chaobuu), while for デスカーン I use Deathkān instead of the Hepburn romanization of Desukān.

Speaking of romanizations, can someone explain to me why Bulbapedia isn't being consistent with their romanizations? While some of the names (e.g. Yorterrie) are romanized according to the source language (even though those romanizations haven't been confirmed as official as far as I know), many are not (e.g. Meroetta). In addition, some of the names have short vowels instead of long ones (Jarōda, Chaobū, Hāderia, Pendorā, Shinporā, Purotōga, Tesshīdo, and Furījio), have long vowels instead of short ones (Nattorei and Shandera), or are just incorrect (Janobī, Hatōpō, and Mūrand). Someone should probably fix that.

At least someone fixed the whole Leopardas debacle. Writing Leperasudu(?) once? Okay, everyone makes mistakes. But writing it multiple times in the article and in the Dex List? No offense, but if you can't read katakana, you probably shouldn't be writing articles about Pokémon that don't have English names. Just saying.

A combination of simple mistakes and people working from different lists... we've more or less arrived at a single list that we'll be using now, though individual names are still subject to change. Once we had the katakana, I assembled a list of names based purely on straight romanisation, but some of those are likely going to be tweaked to "Englishify" them a bit.

In addition, the official romanisations are gradually being revealed (about eight of them turned up just last night), so keep in mind that these names are only temporary until we get the official ones. Hopefully the rest will emerge soon, and we'll no longer have to worry about ambiguity.

Incidentally... if anyone has any problems with the move translations, they were mostly me (though I also used Ume's list for moves that were announced prior to release). There's at least one that I'm probably going to change when I get the chance, now that I know more about the move's effects.

or example, for チャオブー I use the Hepburn romanization of Chaobū (not Chaobu or Chaobuu)
Dogasu had an interesting theory that it's actually Charbuu, and the "chao" is meant to be a Chinese pronunciation owing to its Chinese inspiration.

Romanization = stupid Engrish, as far as I'm concerned. I try to use the actual romaji.

We'll have English names in a matter of months, so... yeah.

Ranpuraa -> Lampula
Shanderaa -> Chandela

Just because the names are obvious references to the words lamp and chandelier.

I call Chillarmy 'Chiriami', and Kyuremu 'Kyuremat', mainly because it fits with the names of the new cover legendaries having names similar to Sumerian deities (Reshiram= Shamash; Zekrom= Nergal; Kyuremat= Tiamat).

Most often exactly as the Kana reads, long vowels and all.

Also, if I can see the meaning, oftentimes I'll use that. Ononox and Hihidharma instead of, say, Ononokusu (オノノクス).

Yeah, me too. I always romanized those two as Ononox and Hihidharma too, so I was kinda surprised when I saw the official romanisation would be "Ononokus" and "Hihidaruma."

A combination of simple mistakes and people working from different lists... we've more or less arrived at a single list that we'll be using now, though individual names are still subject to change. Once we had the katakana, I assembled a list of names based purely on straight romanisation, but some of those are likely going to be tweaked to "Englishify" them a bit.

In addition, the official romanisations are gradually being revealed (about eight of them turned up just last night), so keep in mind that these names are only temporary until we get the official ones. Hopefully the rest will emerge soon, and we'll no longer have to worry about ambiguity.

That's true. I guess the big thing is that some of the names (the ones that are direct romanizations) are missing letters or have double vowels where there shouldn't be. I don't really mind the "Englishified" names so much as the ones that are simply wrong.

Incidentally, I haven't actually seen a clear screenshot of the Mamepato evo, but after some Googling I'm fairly sure Bulbapedia has the correct name. My bad. I was just going by what Serebii called it, and since he still uses that name in the Pokédex I assumed it was right.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom