• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How bad was the Johto team really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't that bad, they just didn't live up to Kanto.

Totodile and Cyndaquil were both pretty bad (well none are bad, but you know what I mean)
Noctowl could have been better had it had more screentime and used its psychic abilities.

Heracross managed to prove itself in that battle against the Scisor, and Phanphy redeemed itself when if came back for the BF

I don't buy this crap about them being a bad team because they were great in thier own way.Totodile was not a waste he was a strong pokemon that can battle just aswell as any other pokemon team and cyndaquil was not bad he was great in battle and prove he was a strong pokemon to,And people did care about bayleef she was really a strong and though battler that can take on hard battles. I don't care what nobody say those three pokemon were great not bad is the fans digging lies out of they ass by saying they were bad when they were not.

I don't buy this crap about them being a bad team because they were great in thier own way.Totodile was not a waste he was a strong pokemon that can battle just aswell as any other pokemon team and cyndaquil was not bad he was great in battle and prove he was a strong pokemon to,And people did care about bayleef she was really a strong and though battler that can take on hard battles. I don't care what nobody say those three pokemon were great not bad is the fans digging lies out of they ass by saying they were bad when they were not.

As Mooites said, the Johto team wasn't all that bad, but when compared to the other teams that Ash used, it just wasn't nearly as good. Without Pikachu, his Johto team wouldn't have made it nearly as far in the gym battles, and they would've done a lot worse.

Charizard, Chimchar eventually, and hell even Torkoal, are stronger than Cyndaquil.

Kingler, Buizel, Squirtle, and Corphish dwarf Totodile in strength.

Bulbasaur and Sceptile are stronger than Bayleef, and once Grotle gets used to its new form, it'll be stronger, too.

And Staravia, Pidgeot, and Swellow make Noctowl look like a joke with its 1 gym win compared to Staravia's 3, Swellow...a lot, and even Pidgeot's 3 wins.

Yes, the Johto Pokemon are strong, but not counting Heracross and Donphan/Phanpy, they are currently not as strong as Ash's other Pokemon. They are, by default, the weakest team. Kanto>Hoenn<=>Sinnoh>Johto.

Hello,

I am a Dewgong fanatic.

Here is my point on the team
Cyndaquil: You are pretty Strong, there are better however.
Bayleef: You aren't the best on the team either. Pull of some sharp Grass attacks.
Totodile: Less dancing, you are great but you are not normal.
Noctowl: When we need you, you are noctornal.... Sleep in your spare time.
Pikachu: Your attacks are way too original, get some new attacks.
Phanphy: Would you just stop using rollout and get another decent attack:0
Heracross: Best of the best, Use Horn Drill all of the time, best on the team!

Heracross is stronger than Chimchar, what in the world are you talking about! Chimchar is an old Fighter Monkey, Heracross doesn't come in swarms where you have to have it.

Get a Heracross, not an old Chimchar, Worth a Heracross over a Chimchar.....

Nintendo

Chimchar is weaker than Magikarp and Feebas, Chimchar learns leer at level 32, for what in the world, you could have a Level 7 feebas with Hyper Beam easily beat a lifeless Level 14 Infernape with Flamethrower:).

Think again you old kid!

LOL,

on one of my assignments for college I was frusterated so I just wrote "Dick" on the paper:), it isn't appropriate, I just used it as a name however.

Nintendo

Heracross is stronger than Chimchar, what in the world are you talking about! Chimchar is an old Fighter Monkey, Heracross doesn't come in swarms where you have to have it.

Get a Heracross, not an old Chimchar, Worth a Heracross over a Chimchar.....

Nintendo

Are you kidding? One or two flamethrower's from Chimchar would be enough to KO a Heracross. You should watch DP52, in which Chimchar and Elekid get to battle Buizel and Heracross.

I don't buy what you guys are saying period because it is not even true. Bayleef is just as strong as Bulbasuar and Sceptile and Grotle too once he learn how to handled his new size. Cyndaquil is just as strong as Charizard and Chimchar he's really good but he have a long way to go, Torkoal was great but he's not all that strong he only battle in one gym and lost. Well Totodile have enough strength to battle really well like Squirtle and Buizel,and plus Kingler was not even ash's main water type so he don't count. The johto team was never the weakest team to begin with they were just as strong as the other's and they could have done really good in the johto gyms with out pikachu. I do argee that Staravia and Swellow are stronger then Noctowl but pidgeot did not win 3 battles he only won one agaist that wild fearow in kanto so that don't make him strong.

Last edited:
For the last time, emanuellburnell, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT THE JOHTO TEAM WASN'T STRONG. All ANYONE is trying to say is that they weren't HANDLED as well; their battles were good, but not as epic as some of his other's pokemon's battles have been, and their personalities were so-so, but NO ONE is saying that, during the time the Johto aired, Ash's Johto team wasn't strong. They are simply easily overshadowed by his other teams. So please, STOP B*TCHING about how everyone's saying something they're not.

I'm not bicthing about anything so what's your damn problem. You guys are the one that's bicthing by trying to make it seem that they were not as good are as strong as the other teams when they was,and ash's jotho had really good battles just like the rest of his teams they were strong like his other pokemon whether you believe it are not and just because you say they were overshadowed by his other teams does not make it true.

I don't buy what you guys are saying period because it is not even true. Bayleef is just as strong as Bulbasuar and Sceptile and Grotle too once he learn how to handled his new size. Cyndaquil is just as strong as Charizard and Chimchar he's really good but he have a long way to go, Torkoal was great but he's not all that strong he only battle in one gym and lost. Well Totodile have enough strength to battle really well like Squirtle and Buizel,and plus Kingler was not even ash's main water type so he don't count. The johto team was never the weakest team to begin with they were just as strong as the other's and they could have done really good in the johto gyms with out pikachu. I do argee that Staravia and Swellow are stronger then Noctowl but pidgeot did not win 3 battles he only won one agaist that wild fearow in kanto so that don't make him strong.

Yeah, they got him to the Silver Conference-OK. But Cyndaquil to be as strong as Charizard !? OMG! He beat an Articuno!

Are you kidding? One or two flamethrower's from Chimchar would be enough to KO a Heracross. You should watch DP52, in which Chimchar and Elekid get to battle Buizel and Heracross.

Are you kidding? Heracross KO'd something as strong as Gary's Magmar. At least wait till Chimchar evolves before you made that sentence, Heracross is undoubtedly the strongest Johto Pokémon in Ash's team!

I do argee that Staravia and Swellow are stronger then Noctowl but pidgeot did not win 3 battles he only won one agaist that wild fearow in kanto so that don't make him strong.

Come on, Pidgeot is once a Pigeotto......

Quoted for truth. Had they branched out or possessed different movesets, it would've been slightly more interesting for them. But considering most of their states, they were like watered down versions of their Kanto counterparts. Heracross and Donphan could certainly rival as powerhouses (and I don't even like Heracross), but that's as far as it goes when comparing this team to his others of the same kind.

Charizard over Cyndaquil is obvious, as you said. Pidgeot (whose highly underrated) over Noctowl is another obvious one. Bulbasaur over Bayleef is another - and on that note, to support what you were saying, let's remember that he tied with Meganium AFTER fighting and beating down the Magneton that crushed Cyndaquil and Pikachu (weakened). And I think even the Squirtle over Totodile is a clear one too, because even if Squirtle never put itself out there, Totodile did almost nothing.

None of them except Noctowl or Totodile could really be considered mediocre, it's just that the others pale in comparison to those of the same type.
we are not talking about move sets and popularity, they might not be the most popular but they were powerful,

they might have the same move set as previose generation but they still got the job done in battle

we are not talking about move sets and popularity, they might not be the most popular but they were powerful,

they might have the same move set as previose generation but they still got the job done in battle

Well then they need to show it. I think this entire thing will end if the Johto starters and Noctowl come back and prove that they didn't deserve to be upstaged by Charizard & Friends during the league.

Well then they need to show it. I think this entire thing will end if the Johto starters and Noctowl come back and prove that they didn't deserve to be upstaged by Charizard & Friends during the league.

That's true. If they were used in some major battle later like in the Sinnoh BF, these complaints wouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom