• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime How can I convince my brother to watch Spirited Away with me?

LoudyKaizoku

Reaction score
First off, a bit of context.

My brother is slightly younger than me (I am 17, while he is 15, but he turns 16 in November). He is mainly into Marvel and Star Wars, but he also likes animated movies quite a lot, too. However, for whatever reason, he has never gotten into anime. Yeah, he watched Ponyo, Totoro, and a bit of Star Wars: Visions, but aside from that, nothing else.

As stellar as Spirited Away is, everytime I suggest it to him, he always says no. Perhaps I am kind of a jerk, because I feel like I am forcing it on him.

However, I really want to show him what a masterpiece of animation it is. Plus, with me going off to college next year, watching movies with my bro won't be as regular as it is.

So, people of the forums, I ask you this question: How can I convince my brother, who isn't much of an anime fan, to watch Spirited Away with me?

Since he's not much of an anime fan, I'd definitely say you should show him the dub-- I know quite a few people who are turned off by having to read subtitles to understand shows and that might be part of why he hasn't gotten into anime. Beyond that, maybe agree to watch a movie he likes of a genre or series you haven't gotten into really into in exchange? There's probably something he's a fan of that he'd like you to see, and just like you think he'd enjoy Spirited Away despite not being an anime fan, you also might enjoy watching his choice of movie even if you're not normally into it, so you'd both get a chance to discover something new.

You should try to identify what he likes and how similar the movie is to that, also you should say it's a classic that he should watch out of curiosity. However, I've been in similar situations with my stubborn brother and sometimes nothing works, so you should watch it on your own and maybe if you're lucky he'll watch it afterwards.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom