• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How can I improve my team?

TheLion

Reaction score
This is my current team, just wondering if there are any ways to improve it

Salamence (Moxie):
Dragon Claw
Zen Headbutt
Crunch
Fly

Malamar (Contrary):
Superpower
Thunderbolt
Foul Play
Psyco Cut

Pinsir (Mega Evolve):
Superpower
X-Scissor
Frustration
Thrash

Gyrados (Intimidate):
Earthquake
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Aqua Tail

Aegislash (Stance Change):
King's Shield
Shadow Claw
Sacred Sword
Iron Head

Vileplume (Chlorophyll):
Petal Dance
Sludge Bomb
Protect
Dazzling Gleam

Well, one thing I notice is you have three Ice weaknesses on this team so maybe you could replace Vileplume with something not weak to Ice. Also, what format is this team for. And I don't see any EV spreads, which are crucial in evaluating a Pokemon.

Wowzer! This team needs help! I'm going to go pokemon by pokemon because it seems your fairly new to competitive. Your Salamence set should look like this

Salamence@ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Naive nature
Moxie
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 SpA

Dragon Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Iron Tail
Fire Blast

Because of Salamence's abysmal move pool your going to need to run mixed mence. Dragon dance will be your main boosting move. I'd say go for dragon claw as it doesn't lock you into a move for up to three turns. Than your going to want Iron tail and Fire blast to cover his Fairy, Steel, and Ice weaknesses. If you see a Mamoswine I'd advise switching out.

As for Malamar it's pretty week and I'd advise swapping him, but if your heart is set on Malamar.
Go for this:

Malamar@ Leftovers
Adamant nature
Contrary
252 Attk/252 HP/ 4 Spe

Superpower
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Substitute

The only reason you should feel motivated to use Malamar is his contrary niche, so superpower is a must. In a couple turns you can turn it into a good defensive wall with monster attack. Psycho cut and night slash for coverage. Finally use substitute to give Malamar some protection from powerful pokemon. This will require good prediction skills though.

Your going to need a spinner and I'd advise going with Excadrill. Go for:

Excadrill@ leftovers
Adamant/jolly
Mold breaker
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 Spe

Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Swords Dance

This way you get a spinner and a powerful sweeper go with rapid spin so you can get those rocks away. Then go for earthquake for some powerful stab, and rock slide for coverage. Finally swords dance to boost his great attack.

Your Gyrados really needs some work go for

Gyrados@ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Adamant/Jolly
Moxie
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 Def

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake/Bounce
Stone Edge

So this is pretty much the same roll as mence with a more offensive presence. Go for dragon dance as it boosts excellently. Top it off with waterfall for stab, and earthquake and stone edge for coverage. Bounce could be used but if advise against it.

Not much I can say about Aegislash as yours is a cookie cutter set, but I'd like to see its item and EVs. I might say try the specially offensive set as your team is lacking special attackers.

Finally get that Vileplume out of my sight! I want you to use a better poke than a stinking meat flower. Considering you have a great lack of special attackers go for a Charizard Y.

Charizard@ Charizardite Y
Blaze => Drought
Timid/Modest
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Solar Beam
Focus Blast
Roost

Go for Fire Blast or flamethrower for stab. Than slap solar beam on for coverage. Focus blast works great against the dreaded TTar. While roost gives him some staying power.

Last edited:
Shadow Ball > Shadow Claw

Iron Tail's accuracy is very dissapointing, Earthquake would be better

Other than that yeah do what BAK said.

Wowzer! This team needs help! I'm going to go pokemon by pokemon because it seems your fairly new to competitive. Your Salamence set should look like this

Salamence@ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Naive nature
Moxie
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 SpA

Dragon Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Iron Tail
Fire Blast

Because of Salamence's abysmal move pool your going to need to run mixed mence. Dragon dance will be your main boosting move. I'd say go for dragon claw as it doesn't lock you into a move for up to three turns. Than your going to want Iron tail and Fire blast to cover his Fairy, Steel, and Ice weaknesses. If you see a Mamoswine I'd advise switching out.

As for Malamar it's pretty week and I'd advise swapping him, but if your heart is set on Malamar.
Go for this:

Malamar@ Leftovers
Adamant nature
Contrary
252 Attk/252 HP/ 4 Spe

Superpower
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Substitute

The only reason you should feel motivated to use Malamar is his contrary niche, so superpower is a must. In a couple turns you can turn it into a good defensive wall with monster attack. Psycho cut and night slash for coverage. Finally use substitute to give Malamar some protection from powerful pokemon. This will require good prediction skills though.

Your going to need a spinner and I'd advise going with Excadrill. Go for:

Excadrill@ leftovers
Adamant/jolly
Mold breaker
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 Spe

Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Swords Dance

This way you get a spinner and a powerful sweeper go with rapid spin so you can get those rocks away. Then go for earthquake for some powerful stab, and rock slide for coverage. Finally swords dance to boost his great attack.

Your Gyrados really needs some work go for

Gyrados@ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Adamant/Jolly
Moxie
252 Attk/252 Spe/4 Def

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake/Bounce
Stone Edge

So this is pretty much the same roll as mence with a more offensive presence. Go for dragon dance as it boosts excellently. Top it off with waterfall for stab, and earthquake and stone edge for coverage. Bounce could be used but if advise against it.

Not much I can say about Aegislash as yours is a cookie cutter set, but I'd like to see its item and EVs. I might say try the specially offensive set as your team is lacking special attackers.

Finally get that Vileplume out of my sight! I want you to use a better poke than a stinking meat flower. Considering you have a great lack of special attackers go for a Charizard Y.

Charizard@ Charizardite Y
Blaze => Drought
Timid/Modest
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP

Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Solar Beam
Focus Blast
Roost

Go for Fire Blast or flamethrower for stab. Than slap solar beam on for coverage. Focus blast works great against the dreaded TTar. While roost gives him some staying power.

Thanks! I will try to do that, and all of their EVs were maxed attack and spD, and then the rest went to defense.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom