• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How can pokemon attack with elements?

Reaction score
While observing the posts on the Delibird Thread, I had this question - how can a pokemon attack with elements? I'll take the starters for example

How can Torchic blow Fire? Does it have a gas stove inside it?

How can Squirtle shoot a lot of Water when it has such a small body?

How can Snivy use Leaf Storm when it only has one leaf on its tail?

I know the games have PPs - thus, after we use the moves for a certain amount of times, we can't use them anymore.

But the question is, how do they acquire the elements? How do they restore it? How do they attack with it?

Queen, at this rate you're gonna overheat my brain from overthinking these interesting points of yours XD

Honestly, I have no idea :p

It's shorter to list what actually makes sense in the games rather than what doesn't.

Pokescience/Magic is the answer to everything.

Sometimes they explain it in their Pokedex information, such as several Fire Pokemon having body temperatures that exceed anything a normal animal could live through. I know they've said in the anime that Pikachu's red cheeks store electricity that has built up inside of it.

I wouldn't exactly call it "magic" though. Pokemon are just creatures that have special talents for elemental powers.

It's like asking Goku how the hell he creates a Spirit Bomb out of no where.

It's probably like Qi or something, just with elements...

I had once suggested that all these elemental attacks were a result of life-energy being given an elemental overtone, kind of like the nature transformations of chakra in Naruto. Obviously, it didn't get quite popular.

But I still stand by it, there's a life energy (regardless of whether its aura or not) that Pokemon manipulate, and these energy take on elemental overtones.

Last edited:
There are animals that can blow fire, give electric shocks, etc. but in Pocket Monsters it's just a lot more powerful, because it's a game/anime. It's like trying to explain "hammer space".

I've come across this question numerous times and my theory on this is that Pokemon seem to draw in the elements from other sources by means of a magical ritual. Moves like Fiery Dance and Rain Dance are a perfect example of how they summon the elements to the battle ground. So a Squirtle that uses a Hydro Pump is actually summoning the water from the sea, or from the water in the air to perform an attack.

They probably do it the same way as in Naruto, just without the finger signs:

Numel used "Fire-style! Flamethrower attack!".
Numel's chakra has developed enough to allow it to evolve into Camerupt.
Camerupt used "Earth-style! Fissure attack!"

They probably do it the same way as in Naruto, just without the finger signs:

Numel used "Fire-style! Flamethrower attack!".
Numel's chakra has developed enough to allow it to evolve into Camerupt.
Camerupt used "Earth-style! Fissure attack!"

I believe that pokemon are creatures with a unique kind of DNA that allows them to use the powers of earth and the universe to manifest different supernatural powers. But there has to be a connection with nature or any elements for it to occur.

Pokemon use something in their DNA to draw materials or energy for their moves from a parallel universe filled with VoidEther. Pokemon also use this to heal themselves, and go there for a nanosecond when they Teleport. (This is speculative)

This one can't be explained scientifically, I'm afraid—the only explanation is magic.

Stop right there!

Water: the Pokémon uses quantum tunneling (physically possible) to get the water from the sea.

Fire: two glands produce chemicals that ignite when they come in contact with each other.

Electric: Muscles with a material attached that can produce large amounts of static electricity, limbs are non-conductive.

I can continue on like this...

Guys, guys, guys, you're over-thinking this. The truth is, everything that you see happen is a carefully engineered effect using common items. Hyper Beam? Just a spot light. Flamethrower? A Zippo lighter. Explosion? Fertilizer and a match. Water Gun? It's just spit. Vine Whip? It's actually a green blanket. But Pokéfeelings are easily hurt, which is why these "attacks" work.

Don't you feel enlightened?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom