• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Can the Anime Improve?

A lot of the anime has the characters written around the plot, not the other way around, which is a glaring problem that the series has had since the beginning-even when it wasn't as prominent back then, as the narrative had just started out, but it was still present. Even Ash, Team Rocket, and Pikachu have this problem, as many fans have already noticed throughout the series.
One thing I understood from Megumi Hayashibara's recent book is that this looseness with character planning is a Shudo hallmark. She gave an insight into his creative process during Minky Momo - the cast and staff all used to go for dinner/drinks after recording sessions and he would encourage his junior scriptwriters to get to know Megumi, and use her as a springboard to develop the character and show. Similarly, she gives an example that Musashi's backstory as a nursing school dropout, which let's be honest did kinda come from nowhere, is derived from Megumi's own life (albeit she successfully graduated). Even though Shudo is long since gone from the show and, God rest his soul, this world, I feel like that laxity with the characters remains, except often without the inspired choices that occurred during that era...

What would really help with making an emotional moment are a few factors. The situation, the voice acting, how much impact the scene has(so pacing), and musical composition. I think there are more, but those feel like the big ones. In the movie, A Silent Voice, the entire thing revolved around bullying, which is already a sympathetic subject for people and that in itself drew people in. The voice acting...if a voice actor actually CRIES when voice acting, you'll be able to tell, their lines are also important...and it also depends on how much emotion is put into the performance. The impact of the scene also depends on the reactions and situation as well. For instance, if a character just finds out something groundbreaking and earth-shattering, the show might convey this by making everything stop and focus on that one character, or they might "slow time down" to put the audience in the show. As for the musical composition, it depends on how it's played out. Lighter or mellow sounding instruments may have a more likely tendency to make people cry or feel in the mood of the scene; but at the same time, you can't use music for every single scene-if you use too much, the emotion won't feel fleshed out.
Aaaaaaaaaand... sorry to always bring it back to this, but this is why this will always be the perfect scene to me:

Oh yeah, whoops, sorry forgot to answer the question. How can the anime improve? Simples, just add more TRio :bulbaWave:

One thing I understood from Megumi Hayashibara's recent book is that this looseness with character planning is a Shudo hallmark. She gave an insight into his creative process during Minky Momo - the cast and staff all used to go for dinner/drinks after recording sessions and he would encourage his junior scriptwriters to get to know Megumi, and use her as a springboard to develop the character and show. Similarly, she gives an example that Musashi's backstory as a nursing school dropout, which let's be honest did kinda come from nowhere, is derived from Megumi's own life (albeit she successfully graduated). Even though Shudo is long since gone from the show and, God rest his soul, this world, I feel like that laxity with the characters remains, except often without the inspired choices that occurred during that era...

Aaaaaaaaaand... sorry to always bring it back to this, but this is why this will always be the perfect scene to me:

Oh yeah, whoops, sorry forgot to answer the question. How can the anime improve? Simples, just add more TRio :bulbaWave:

God bless this...:bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:

Also, here now is my favorite voice actor next to Ikue Ohtani.

As for the Shudo thing...that...honestly is a pretty good idea for a show. Like...it's actually a great idea...but of course the anime would stop doing something like that...

Also, here now is my favorite voice actor next to Ikue Ohtani.
ALSO DID YOU KNOW that those two are IRL friends, Megumi refers to her as 'Iku-chan' and they once even went on holiday together?! :bulbaLove:

Ok, sorry I'm derailing your thread, I will retreat now...

ALSO DID YOU KNOW that those two are IRL friends, Megumi refers to her as 'Iku-chan' and they once even went on holiday together?! :bulbaLove:

Ok, sorry I'm derailing your thread, I will retreat now...
Lmao, that's okay.

But now I really feel for Megumi...I wonder how she felt about her close friend's death and the circumstances around it...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom