• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How can they improve SM?

I'd say get started on the Aether Foundation/Ultra Beasts arc since Gen 8 could come out as early as next year and we don't want what happened in DP and later XY to happen in Sun/Moon as well. The Aether Foundation arc, for it to be done right, is not something that can just be wrapped up in a few episodes since you need to have the group visit the Aether Paradise, have Lillie "steal" Nebby, carry Nebby around, have Nebby evolve from Cosmog to Cosmoem to Solgaleo/Lunala, meet Lusamine, have Lusamine's insanity revealed or whatever happens in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, fight her (or an US/UM villain if she's good in that game), and possibly even go into Ultra Space for a final battle, all while having a couple episodes of the main characters wondering what is going on with Lillie and why she's acting strangely while she has Nebby. And this is all before a likely League tournament and with Ash still having to complete at least two Grand Trials (three if he loses to Olivia soon) that will take some more episodes as well. There is a lot to do and possibly not a lot of time to do it.

More, much more TRio spotlight! It's a big waste to have them appear like once a month :/

A Mimikyu that's NOT A Psychopath who wants the Genocide of all Pikachus!!
Hey, I thought that was what made Mimikkyu even more awesome! Interesting twist xD

Also, I'd like to see more character development and emotional eps. Comedy is good, but everything in moderation.

Last edited:
Hey, I thought that was what made Mimikkyu even more awesome!
It's not; BECAUSE IT RUINS THE ENTIRE REASON W-H-Y PEOPLE LOVED MIMIKYU; BECAUSE IT JUST WANTED TO BE LOVED, AND ALSO HAVE FRIENDS!!

i honestly felt this was one of the highlights of this series :p
It's NOT!! It's EXACTLY WHY I hate it; along with the Bad Artstyle!!

Overall, I really like SM and wouldn't change too much about it. What I would like to see, and it's probably too late for it at this point, is more consistency to the trials. I am so sick of gym battles and thought the trials were such an interesting concept, but the anime isn't doing a great job of portraying them so far. For example, I don't like how there are no trial captains at all and there's really no explanation as to why. I loved the trial captains in the game. And some of the trials have been made a bigger deal out than others. I think it's pretty lousy trials aren't getting the same treatment gym battles have always gotten.

I would also like to see them pick up the pace with the evil team side of things. Sure, we've seen Team Skull, but it's just been the three grunts bumbling around. Guzma and Plumeria would add a lot more impact to their role, and obviously I want the introduction to the Aether Foundation.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's all but guaranteed that USUM will have quite an impact on the Show, and who knows how much better or worse it could make things.
Hopefully better, like with Crystal & Johto and Platinum & DP.
And hope it's not like with AG & the rest of Gen 3, or worse, that nasty business with BW & the Sequel Games...

I just hope the changes aren't so much they mean some characters end up going to the Never Animated Gulag... :cautious:
(Nebby and the other Trial Captains are in enough trouble as it is :()

Last edited:
images

More of these guys pls

I do like the series for the most part and I'll explain what I like about it in another thread, but I do agree with how there should be more battles. The few battles that we have seen have been pretty good. I haven't seen Ash's recent trials yet, but I'm still really impressed with how they handled his first Grand Trial. The battle was good, Ash showed off some nice skills and his victory was believable instead of forced like I thought it would be. Despite having only two Pokemon on him by that point, he was able to win the Grand Trial in a pretty satisfying way. More stuff like that would be nice.

Maybe providing more of an in-universe reason as to why Ash is taking his time with the trials would be nice. I remember people complaining about Ash taking so long to get to the second island, but I was thrown off by just how suddenly he wanted to to the first trial. He just woke up one morning, wanted another Z-Crystal to do more Z-Moves and went straight for it. He was still getting used to Alola and trying to capture Pokemon for those early episodes, but the Island Trials weren't mentioned for quite a few episodes. While the school and meeting Tapu Koko were the main reasons he stayed in Alola, I assumed that the Island Trials would be more of a focus for Ash since they're basically the Alola version of Gyms. Maybe it just feels strange when Ash is primarily staying in one place now instead of traveling, but providing more of an explanation for stuff like that wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure if this last one can be done, but I kind of wish that the classmates had more interesting goals. Aside from Lillie and Kiawe, none of the goals that I've seen for the classmates have been particularly interesting. Lillie struggling to overcome her fear of Pokemon is a more personal kind of goal and Kiawe's first focused episode that showed why he wanted to become a strong Fire type Pokemon trainer made it more interesting/personal too, but the other goals, like Mallow wanting to make a signature dish for her family's restaurant, aren't particularly interesting. I do like most of the classmates and the overall group chemistry they have is rather nice, but not too many of them are interesting to me on an individual level and that can be an issue down the road, if it isn't one already. I'm not sure if any of the other focused episodes for the classmates that have aired in Japan would help that issue for me though.

There's some things that they can't really change since they've already established them, like the school premise, but here's what I think.

The Sun and Moon series certainly needs more battles. We've had very few compared to the XY series by this point. By XY 36, we've had twice as many battles as we've had by this point in the Sun and Moon series. More battles is what we need. Send Gladion Ash's way often, send Hau his way, and even battle against ya boy Guzma. Like, even when we do get them, they get cut short sometimes, like when Team Rocket interrupted Ash's battle with Gladion.

Secondly, the comedy needs to just be toned down, though I doubt this will happen. Its overwhelming at times. The forced slapstick and over-the-top facial expressions are just too much at times honestly. Like every episode Ash has to tossed around like a ragdoll, a character like Olivia has to trip over everything, or everyone has to make a ridiculous and ugly facial expression that seriously contrasts with the animation style. The style changes even get annoying, like in the baseball episode. I think its one of the things I don't really like about the series. Its just too much.

Also, I think we need more plot related episodes. I feel like we have too many slice-of-life filler episodes that just bore me, when we could have had battles or other things. Do some stuff like introduce the Aether Foundation already, go to Royal Avenue and introduce Battle Royals, bring in Plumeria at least, and maybe introduce Professor Kukui's aspirations to build an Alolan League. And also, I wanna see them focus more on the Island Challenge? It feels like Ash wasn't even trying to prepare or even move onto Akala Island's trials. He didn't even really do what would have been Lana's game trial or Kiawe's trial. Lana did her trial and Kiawe's didn't even happen.

Another thing I hope they kinda fix is Ash's characterization. Like, I'm not a fan of it. He feels far more immature and selfish. Like, he sometimes only is with the main cast for selfish reasons, like he only went with Kiawe when he met his family...Cause he wanted ice cream. I honestly miss the cool and mature Ash that so many characters looked up to. He still had his childish enthusiasm when it came to Clemont's inventions and battles, but he wasn't as immature and selfish in XY.

On things they're stuck with...The overwhelmingly large cast. Do we really need 7 companions, counting Professor Kukui and Rotomdex? Rotomdex especially, I think he's so annoying. I feel like this has already become an issue because I feel like Mallow and Sophocles haven't gotten to really shine much yet or they're overshadowed kinda? Lillie is getting some good focus, likely because of how important she is in the games compared to the others, but with such a large cast, its much harder to give everyone even focus.

Also, we just need ya boy Guzma as soon as possible! I know he's comedic in the games also, but just please don't make his comedy all slapstick and over the top facial expression based.

Also the pacing. Like, it took so long after Ash's Grand Trial with Hala to move onto Akala Iskand, but they kinda rushed it there. Like, they didn't do what would be Kiawe's trial. They just rushed to the Grand Trial.

Anyway, the Sun and Moon series has been seriously lacking to me and it has slowly been losing me. I think its probably the slice-of-life comedic tone it has after XY's more serious tone. Its been slipping into BW levels for me, though I still hope they can make it great, especially with USUM on the way.

Last edited:
More battles, rivals, more adventure than school, an evil threat (Not TR or TS grunts), and this show could be on its way

give Gladion a Shedinja and start showing this pokemon more then in the past.
Shedinja vs WishiWashi, you know who would win and why?

It seems they went overboard with action and battles and explosions and the like with XY and are now over compensating with SM.

to over compensating it by now.. XY started to be good maybe to many ecplosions , but good battles never to many plus they didnt show the full potential of many pokemon and made the battles really short when it came to non-ash battles.

It's not; BECAUSE IT RUINS THE ENTIRE REASON W-H-Y PEOPLE LOVED MIMIKYU; BECAUSE IT JUST WANTED TO BE LOVED, AND ALSO HAVE FRIENDS!!
How do we know this isn't the case with this Mimikyu? Wanting to kill Pikachu and wanting to be loved are not mutually exclusive. In case you didn't notice, Mimikyu had no good reason to throw its lot in with the TRio so why did it? Maybe we'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Get TF out of the school~ It's maddening how little progress Ash is making because he's literally sitting on his ass the whole time in one location while he has a beautiful island he could be exploring. It took me like 7 episodes until I realized he literally ends at the same point in every episode that he started it: Kukui's house.

LET THE MAN EXPLORE THE REGION!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom