• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation How can voice acting be implemented in the games?

I don’t want voice acting for two reasons:

1. it’s incredibly rare for a voice cast to really match my expectation of the characters’ voices and many I find downright annoying. There’s been several games recently that I’ve played in a different language to save my ears from cringey VA.

2. Video games were a massive part of my learning to read and I think it’s good to have that very slight educational incentive for kids, especially in games like Pokémon.

Pierce’s singing cutscenes are the only exception to this for me - for those using a gibberish language like Splatoon does would be acceptable to me.

There is one worry about voice acting in Pokemon and that worry is it taking away the ability to name your character freely. Sure there are some games where voice acting is present, but that comes at a cost of limiting the name pool for your character. From what I have seen in Pokemon, the franchise values individual differences as seen by character customization. Having voice acting that would say a player character's name will inevitably limit players in which they can name their character. This would be a huge blow since Pokemon is now rooted even more to online.

There is one worry about voice acting in Pokemon and that worry is it taking away the ability to name your character freely. Sure there are some games where voice acting is present, but that comes at a cost of limiting the name pool for your character. From what I have seen in Pokemon, the franchise values individual differences as seen by character customization. Having voice acting that would say a player character's name will inevitably limit players in which they can name their character. This would be a huge blow since Pokemon is now rooted even more to online.
They could avoid saying the player's name through things such as "he, you" or with a nickname.

If they do add voice acting beyond just a few key cutscenes then they gotta give up the optional name choice since (for me anyways) it's far more suspension breaking in a RPG to see characters akwardly dance around saying your name than simply having a canon name from the get-go. Then again, I am a lazy sob who just uses the official names for my playthroughs every time.

If they do add voice acting beyond just a few key cutscenes then they gotta give up the optional name choice since (for me anyways) it's far more suspension breaking in a RPG to see characters akwardly dance around saying your name than simply having a canon name from the get-go. Then again, I am a lazy sob who just uses the official names for my playthroughs every time.
This is why I suggested giving us a canon last name. Hey, what if we end up related to the professor?

Like Greninja said, they could do the same thing that Dragon Quest 11 does.

You can call the protagonist like Trainer, Challenger (SwSh), 'Champion-to-make', Lad, Lass, kid, Neighbor, Friend, derogatory names (rival), You, etc... depending on the context. No big deal I think.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom