• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you become a shipper?

Re: How did you became a shipper?

I was looking at different anime characters on Bulbapedia, and I saw that Angie had a crush on Ash. I clicked on the Morpheusshipping link, found the list of shippings, and that's all she wrote.

I got into shippings when DP first aired. I though Ash and Dawn would just look so cute together so I was pairing them together. That's my story.

When I first watched the Kanto and Johto series of the anime, I always thought Misty had a crush on Ash. I guess that's how I began to ship characters LOL

I first became a shipper in pokemon fandom after watching episode called "Misty meets her match". Pokeshipping was the first fictional couple I ever supported. It's ironical that I'm no longer a pokeshipper. Watching movie 9 of pokemon and the ignorance Misty has been facing from writers over these years made me lean towards Advanceshipping. I always hold a soft spot for it ever since it first came out but, I only started to ship Ash and May seriously when I realized that none of shippings involving the main characters would become reality anytime soon.
Pokemon DP34 turned me into a Cavaliershipper and to this day this pairing remains my OTP.

I got into it when my friend and I made up relationships for all the Sinnoh Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Champion/Main Characters. Then I realized other people like to do that. XD

I used to be like LOL MISTY AND ASH ARE LIKE CANON RIGHT?

Then I stumbled across the 3rd Episode of AG like 1000 years ago and went "Who the hell is she? She's pretty cute." After a while, I saw fanart/pics of May with Ash and well, something in my head clicked. I rewatched Pokemon, and I didn't like Misty all that much (Me no liek tsun) when AG came on, I was like XDDDD at May's ditzy, fun loving character. The fact that she went YESS! in the first episode didn't lower my shipping spirit =P

I first became a ContestShipper in 2006 or 2007 when I was watching Pokémon: Advanced Battle on DVD. (To be more specific, I was watching the episodes about the Hoenn Grand Festival.) Of course, I didn't know the terms "shipping" or "ContestShipping" back then. A while later - a year at the most - I was watching videos on YouTube at my friend's birthday sleepover and came across a video called "Pokémon Barbie Girl" or something like that and I clicked it because I thought it was a parody. (Yes, I actually thought a parody of Pokémon and Barbie Girl would be funny. I was younger.) Turns out it was actually an AdvanceShipping video with fan art. At first I said "What the heck?" but then I clicked some related videos and found out about the term "shipping". A few days later I searched for Pokémon shipping on the Internet, and I kind of got into it.

I've paired characters my entire life..so I really can't recall when I became a shipper.

when i was reading an article on bulbapedia and realised the only reason i was watching the programe was because of jessie and james .

While I was on Bulbapedia a few months ago, I found a page that linked to RocketShipping.

I think I first discovered palletshipping several years ago, now I support lots of shippings x3

It all started with my Pokémon Soulsilver research. I don't know what happened, but I stumbled upon the Rocketshipping page on Bulbapedia. I read it, then I realized I had been 'shipping' them all along. Heck, I'd always been a TR fan. Since 7, I had thought they looked cute together and should be a couple. Hmmmm...perhaps it wasn't really shipping yet, since I wasn't really dedicated. Shipping requires dedication, yes? I just thought they looked cute together.

But that article changed everything.

I watched all the episodes mentioned there and began to seek out everything I could about it. Everything. I spent my summer vacation researching Rocketshipping. I made a DeviantArt so I could 'watch' Rocketshipper artists. I added reading Rocketshipping fanfics to my daily routine. As my research went on, I became more and more enamored with the ship.

It was through this research that I found BMGf.

In one of my daily Google trawls, I found a link to the "Rocketshipping General Discussion". I clicked it, and spent the rest of the day (even the night!) browsing. By the end of that, I said 'hey, this is a great site, I should register'. So I did....after a while, because I am a lazy ass.

(LOL. I find it ironic that I have yet to post in the thread that pulled me to this place. I just feel like I have nothing to bring to the table.)

So yes. The story of how I started shipping.

P.S.: If it's shipping in general, well........I started way before this. I have a plethora of ships, and already had this plethora before I even knew Rocketshipping existed. (But when I tell you that I consider Rocketshipping my forever OTP despite its newness to me, it kinda speaks volumes, huh?)

Last edited:
I want to say I've always been a shipper, but, in reality, I didn't even know what 'shipping' meant before I came on here (Bulbagarden).

I've always like the idea of certain couples being together (Ash and Misty for example), but before Bulbagarden, I had never really heard of things like 'PokeShipping' (or if I did, I had no idea what it was).

So, I guess when I got on here and started learning about what shipping was, I 'officially' became a shipper.

I was a shipper before I even knew what shipping was. I think it started when supporting characters as a couple.

Rocketshipping was my first real ship, way back when. The first episode I ever saw was the second part of the SS Anne episode and I thought they were married or something, but as I watched the show more, I realized this wasn't the case XD; I'm not sure how I actually found out that Rocketshipping was a "thing" on the internet, but I shipped it with dedication for...a very long time XD; I still consider them one of my OTPs, of course, even if I mostly fangirl over Makomo and Araragi these days ^^; Though something I learned in all of this is that it's an interesting transition to go from a ship with a huge fanbase to one that has next to nothing, I think that's part of what keeps me motivated to do all the fanart I do ^^;

(LOL. I find it ironic that I have yet to post in the thread that pulled me to this place. I just feel like I have nothing to bring to the table.)

I lurked the Rocketshipping thread for a very long time and eventually signed up for the forums for the exact same reason. Don't worry about feeling that way- I know the thread can be a bit intimidating at first, but everyone is really friendly. I felt the same way in that I didn't think I had anything to contribute, but it's not hard! Just reply to some of the topics with your own thoughts, and don't be afraid to even think of your own topics to discuss in the thread! I promise, it's not as scary as it looks! A huge part of shipping is the interactions with other fans of it, what do you have to lose? :)

I used to think Pokeshipping was gonna happen since well I never really knew Pokemon will last so long and only b/c I used to think that Ash and Misty fighting would lead them to like another.:p Then I started to move on from PokeShipping and pair Ash w/ May after watching AG072 "The bicker the better", I was so slow in shipping and the way Oscar and andi accusing Ash and May being a couple blew my mind. it takes one word to get me the idea to ship rather than watching the early episodes and start from there.:p Then on, I like the idea of Ash and May being together so I watched AG diligently since i wanna look for hints but that was b4 i rely on the internet.:sweatlol:

As a kid while watching original series I used to take poke- and rocketshipping at least partially as a canon. But I didn´t make a big deal of it then.
Many years later I began watching OS one again from nostalgia (and then I totally fell into Pokémon once again). As first I made fun of all those random-looking ships but then I saw the episode from Orange Island with Lorelei and I laughed a lot on the famous capture with Misty staring on her chest. Somewhere then I realized it is fun shipping (random) characters. After that I read the section on Bulbapedia and totally fell for it :)

I was introduced into Advanceshipping. Ever since, I've been a shipper of not just AS, but PS and IS.

I actually started to pair Ash and May when Movie 9 was on, but that was before I even went on the Internet. Not too long ago, I decided to go back and re-watch AG because It was my absolute favorite Season in Pokemon and while I was re-watching It, I decided to look up Ash and May on Google and I came across fan arts, fan fictions, AMVs, and of course the hints and shipping name. While at It, I did came across many Forum Sites, but most of them were dead, instead, Bulbagarden and Serebii Forums were the only place were AdvanceShippers are still active and I decided to sign up for both and be part of that Community.

AdvanceShipping is my primary Ship. However, when DP was still on, I did pair up Ash/Dawn, but It didn't feel like that they should be together. Doesn't feel right. It seems like they are just good friends. I'm not judging PearlShipping in any shape or form, just giving my opinion.

So yeah, that's how I became an "AdvanceShipper" but lately, I'm trying to become a MultiShipper since Its fun talking to other people about that! ^^

I became a shipper around the time of Johto I believe. I got into Kissshipping the most, Egoshipping, then Baseballshipping. Then I began reading bad fanfiction about shipping(mostly Pokeshipping) then I got into more other once after IS.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom