• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

How did you first react to discovering your rival as Champion in Gen 1?

Reaction score
I got into the games late so I didn't get to play a Kanto game until FireRed came out, but I was still pretty new with the Pokemon games and I made sure to avoid spoilers about the older games. When I first saw Blue standing in the Champion room, I was less shocked and more just wondering how the ever-lasting hell he managed to beat the Elite 4 and previous Champion before me, and we both started our journey at the same time.

I do like the idea of your rival being the final "boss." This guy's been an ass to you the whole game and this was the final battle to see who truly was the best trainer in the world. That's one thing about Gen 1 that I really like.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Well for me it was gen 3 with FireRed, but I suppose that's not important. Also, this was before I knew of online Pokemon sites so I didn't know anything about the story or anything.

Anyway, I was quite surprised when I saw Blue there as the champion. I think I literally paused for a few minutes to fully realize that I had another trainer to fight before beating the league and that it was my own rival. It was a pretty great moment...then he proceeded to annihilate me:(

Reaction score
It was just a sort of :O and then maybe an "omg......."

Reaction score
I'll just be honest. In the original red I never got that far... The furthest I've gotten in the E4 was Bruno... Well I only had an overlevelled Charizard and a Lapras :p

However in FireRed I think I already knew he was going to be the champ. And the most memorable moment was the end of the battle. He totally annihilated me throughout, and it came down to me switching in my Blastoise with like 25hp and him switching in his full Arcanine. He uses flamethrower and Blastoise survives with 3 hp! Guess what he got then... Right, a Last-Resort critical Hydro Cannon right to his face. Oh that felt so satisfying...
I still have that Blastoise, he went all the way from FireRed to ORAS :)

Reaction score
it was a nice moment for me, this was the final battle i was a little ticked off because i thought i was done but when he appeared it was a good moment. it would be my charizard vs his blastoise, we had started against each other and would finish vs each other, as i recall he was easier than lance. btw this was back on the original red, shame i can't find it would love to see my team again

Monoceros
Reaction score
Since I had the guide when I played Red I was forewarned, so I wasn't exactly blown out of the water about it. It was just another, "I have to beat you again" type scenario to me.

Move along, move along
Reaction score
I think when I first saw him I was thinking something along the lines of, "Oh, nice! Another easy-peasy rival battle!"

And then I saw how high his Pokémon's levels were and I was like, "... Oh sh**."

I don't remember being particularly surprised about this, though, since I think that bit of info was spoiled for me.

Son of Two Deities
Reaction score
I was way too young to understand anything at the time...also, as I had the original Red/Blue strategy guide (the one that came with stickers, which I used all of them on the pictures instead of...well, making it like a checklist)...

I was a stupid kid, all right? :(

It was this guide:

Holy crap was that a long time ago, look at how chubby Pikachu's cheeks were...

Reaction score
My reaction "How is this loser champion? The E4 must really suck if they get destroyed by someone i defeated a bunch of times with no effort."

Reaction score
I was only 8, so my reaction was literally just "Oh", followed by Charizard's slash being spammed to oblivion.

Reaction score
Gotta say, it did set a precedent. Throughout the game we had been hearing about the Elite Four, and nothing beyond. It's a given fact these days that there will be a Champion, but it wasn't then, and it was certainly a surprise.

Have to say, though, loved Giovanni's reveal much better. Gen I was full of cool stuff, and I'm glad I got to be around for it.

Started with Bulbasaur
Reaction score
I already knew because I had read my friend's guidebook cover to cover several times.