• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you get interested in the ships you support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Leeney*

Eeny Leeney Miny Mo!
Reaction score
I'll share my story on how I got interested into EliteUnderShipping(Lucian + Aaron(elite). It is also a sin for me. Well one day I was trolling fanfiction.net and searched 'Lucian pokemon'. I happened to stumble upon a story that had read eliteundershipping so I clicked on the story out of curiousity. After reading it halfway I found out it was a lemon but I kept reading it anyway. It was pretty intresting so then I read more stories about them on fanfiction and loved the couple ever since

Um, I watched the anime and read the special.

Pokeshipping
Contestshipping
Chosenshipping
Specialshipping
Franticshipping
Mangaquestshipping

yeah.

Story time! :D

Well, due to me watching pokemon in the good ol days of 1998 and stuff... i was a rocketshipper because i just assumed they were together. XD Like a "mommy and daddy" o_o;; And when my friends at school were like "i thought they were brother and sister" i'd be like "Noo! Look at their hair!" because i assumed if you were siblings, you had the same hair.... i was like, 5, okay? XD

Though after that... like, what, ten years later? I stumbled upon the rocketshipping forum here and it got me back into the love. Ahh... the love... <3

And all other shippings i like are usually due to me watching the show and my mind wandering. o_o

Mine is a kind of weird and long story. I'll condense it the best I can.

I didn't get into Pokemon until DP. Well, there wasn't a whole lot I knew of the show when I watched the first 3 episodes that were aired together, but I did know that Rocketshipping was one of the popular ships even though I had also heard things like "James is gay" and "Jessie is a bitch". I really hadn't intended on shipping anyone in the show since I just wanted to watch for the battles and all that. But when the second episode came on where Kojiro found Muskippa, things changed...

Kojiro was freaking out because his parents and Rumika were on the way and he wanted to leave the mansion. I immediately assumed Musashi would whine and complain, but she didn't have a problem with it at all. So I started to think "Wow, I guess she really does care about him after all."

I didn't really think about it too much after that. But I became quickly addicted to the show and watched as many older episodes as I could starting with Kanto. Well, the way they interacted in those just reinforced what I saw in that episode, and I started shipping them together. It was just casually at first, but the more episodes I saw, the more I loved it. Before I knew it, I was the obsessive Rocketshipper you see here today.

...How I got into AdvanceShipping?
Well er.....I was searching Pokemon-Ash on google, and it came up Ash and this other girl with brown hair. I stared at the screenshot for quite sometime...

OutCryShipping:
I was thinking up a fanfiction with all the May Shipping thats possible. So when I got up to Paul...I basically did a match job in my head, and it screamed "CUTE, CUTE CUTE!"

ImageShipping:
At first, I hated Misty, then I saw how May was so facisnated by her. So yeah...I looked up some fanart, and they looked awesome together...

SapphirePearlShipping:
Basically the same as Image...

Most of the ships I supported were chosen because I thought the characters looked cute together. Here are some exceptions:
RedShipping: I used a mental image of Ash and Jessie slowdancing (the background music shifted between "Hugger" by Jvox and "Sometimes" by Kid606)to help get into character for a play. Eventually, I got used to the image.
MichaelIAmYourFatherShipping: Saw the ending sequence of XD: Gale of Darkness and thought 'Wow, Eldes would be the perfect stepdad for Michael.'

Uh, well... with Rocketshipping, it simply happened. When I got into the online Pokemon fandom I gravitated towards Team Rocket fans (I liked JJ&M from the beginning), and it seemed that most of them at the time were Rocketshippers. I was all "huh, that makes sense" and got into it.

With Orangeshipping, I didn't think about it at all until the Hosos finally aired in my country. I really enjoyed Misty and Tracey's interaction with each other. Then I saw Orangeshippy fanart, which I didn't care for before, and suddenly saw it in a new light because of the new insight I got on Misty and Tracey's relationship.

Another shipping story of mine: Well when I got into AppealShipping when I saw Dawn's first contest. Imo, I thought Zoey had a crush on Dawn when she saw and that was why she combed her hair. After the contest I believed Dawn wanted to follow Zoey's footsteps. Later last year I wrote a lemon about them. After that everyone always criticized me on why I liked a yuri ship. They look cute together.

Wait I have more: IgnitionShipping- Sure Flint creeps me out a little but he looks good with good ol' Volkie. Although there is no anime proof yet(THERE BETTER BE!), they make good connections in the games. They seem to be good friends that have a love-hate relationship. The only reason I say the hate part was because in Platinum, a girl had said they constantly bickered and argued.

My girlfriend is the biggest shipper on the planet, and she introduced me to Pokéshipping, Imageshipping, and all the other ships I support. :]

A few that have fairly legit reasons behind them:

Tensaishipping - While playing Sapphire one day, I started thinking about how Steven tends to appear a lot, almost as if he's stalking your character. (just for the record: best stalker ever) At the time that I realized this, I was playing as Brendan just to switch things up, and... Yeah. One thing led to another. ;D

Steelshipping - I shipped these two even before I watched Legend of Thunder. There's a Steelshippy fanart site that I visited, and they just looked so much like my kind of pairing that I couldn't help but ship it. Any ship that involves lots of bickering & jackassery & fight!sex is 100% my kind of pairing. >D

Hardenshipping - Even before I shipped them, I knew that they had to have some kind of history. That much was obvious to me. This idea just sort of grew and changed until they had an entire romantic, angsty backstory (childhood friends turned awkward teenage lovers turned bitter enemies = hell yes). Also, this artist: lime.suppa.jp

Akatsukishipping - My age-difference fetish wouldn't allow me to /not/ ship this. D: I saw some fanart and was like, "Dammit. Resistance is useless."

Toxicboltshipping - This picture:
rfyhjfrtjdtjhdx.jpg
<3

Antipodeanshipping - I liked the idea of these two before watching the movie. But what really truly sold it for me was the scene where Zero is watching & replaying his and Newton's old research videos. Let's just say that I interpreted that scene in a much different way than what was intended...

Fearowshipping - Blue & Bill have the cutest interactions in Special. c: Why does no one else see this??

Brocketshipping - This picture:
poke109b.jpg
D'aww x 1000

Bedazzleshipping - The mental image of Nando serenading a very flustered Conway. That is all. 8D

MorpheusShipping: The way Ash rescued Angie from that evil spirit, and the words he said while doing it "I'll never let go, even if that means forever!"

ContestShipping: Roses, and the way Drew changed from a cocky spoiled brat to a much more friendly person as he got closer to May.

RocketShipping: The way they keep hanging out together despite Jessie abusing James once in a while, that's got to be love...

GirlPowerShipping- I saw a great pic of Cynthia and Dawn together. And I thought they'd make a good mother-daughter relationship

What ^^^ said, but also what REALLY got me into the shipping was reading PikamasterADV's story May's Crush. Yes, that sounds so dorky, but the reason why it appealed to me was that if someone were to publish this book, The writers wouldn't have much trouble adding this to the story (assuming this was a few years ago back in the Battle Frontier season)

I'm not sure there's any particular reasons I got into the ships I support. When I first got back into Pokemon and I learned about the concept of shipping, I began to support Pokeshipping and Contestshipping, and from then on I started supporting a ton of other ships too.

When I first got into Pokemon...I dunno. I can't even explain it. It's just I tended to enjoy moments that were particularly shippy, despite thinking romance was gross. And then I understood eventually, and I began supporting the ships. This category includes both Pokeshipping and Rocketshipping.

The other ones, I've discovered on the threads or around DeviantArt and Fanfiction.net, and come to know and like them that way. Pearlshipping and Advanceshipping especially, since when I got back into Pokemon I didn't know Dawn existed, and I thought May was a COTD...well, I know better now.

For me, it was because when I was little, I thought that EVERY show ever made had a couple in it. Like, there had to be two characters who were together. And for Pokemon those two characters were Jessie and James. I was little so I never understood that they actually weren't together, I always just assumed they were. o_O I never really "shipped" them when I was little because I thought they already were together. >.<

When I got older and got back into Pokemon I obviously wasn't so stupid as to think that every TV show had a particular couple in it, and I knew they weren't together. But their little fearhugs and their sweetness towards each other just made me love them together again. ^_^

Hmm...

Gymshipping - because I liked the dynamic they occasionally showed, particularly when Ash was seperated from them and/or Ash didn't agree on something Misty and Brock agreed on.... and Misty's terror ear-pulls sometimes made me think she was jealous.... she's obviously annoyed after all.

Rivalshipping - I loved the love-hate thing Ash and Gary had early in the series...... not to mention the episodes towards the end of Johto featuring them were some of my favorites ever, I loved the broken pokeball side story.

Rocketshipping - they're ALWAYS together, so I found it natural for them to be together. It just seems so wrong to imagine them with anyone else, they've been friends for a long time and have stuck with each other..... or at least somehow find each other again after being seperated... why would they ever be with anyone else?

Orangeshipping - I liked Misty and Tracey's dynamic in the Orange Islands arc, as when as Pokemon Chronicles. And who knows? since they're no longer traveling with Ash and gang and are more likely to see each othe, something might happen.

Breedershipping - Because Brock was really mature with his relationship with Suzy. When he goes after other girls it seems so shallow and random and shows him as someone desperate for a date. Even when he calms down afterwards and is more respectful it still nags in the back of my head that he just shamelessly threw himself at the girl earlier. But with Suzy, he learned to let her go and did so graciously, he wanted her to be happy. I was sad when Brock seemed resigned that Suzy would be better with Suzy. I was happy he considered her feelings first, but I actually LIKED Suzy with Brock.

Cookieshipping - I'm a sucker for love-hate relationships and this is about as tough as it gets. I know it's strange with Harley being.... well.... strange and awkward Harley >.>, and not to mention he's alot older than May, but I'm endlessly amused by how he picks on her like an immature schoolkid with a crush on a girl. Sure, he tries to sabotage her, but he just walks right up to her when he sees her at contests, teases her whenever he gets the chance, and then he DRESSES UP LIKE HER, surely something else is behind this? May is mortified by him of course but I think the possibility is interesting.

Penguinshipping - Kenny's crush on Dawn is cute. 'Nuff said.

SoulSilvershipping - Because Silver is an emo tsundere kid who needs someone to help him lighten up, and cute but tough pokemon trainer Kotone is just the right person for the job..... or at least that's what I thought when I first saw them.

Last edited:
Now that I don't watch the anime that much my opinions are mostly based on fanart. I am so easily swayed by fanart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom