• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did YOU get into pokemon was it an accident?

It was a complete accident, but the best accident that ever happened to me. Back when it was a fad in the late 90s I hated it. Everywhere you went there was Pokemon, and it annoyed me. It wasn't until around 2002 that I happened to watch the first episode of the anime and saw the scene with Ash falling off the bike trying to save Pikachu...I was imediately hooked on this show. It took awhile, but I finally tried the games and got hooked on them too. Getting into Pokemon was one of the greatest things to happen to me, and now I'll probably be a fan for life.

I used to watch the anime when I was four years old, and have been keeping in distant touch with it since. I also had keychains and strange cards of the Gen I Pokemon.
At ten years old, I began playing the games with Ruby/Sapphire being my first, but then left again for some reason. Finally, two years ago, I started playing Gen IV and have never split from Pokemon since. <3

I honestly I have no idea. The Gen I games came out 13 years ago, when I was 10. D:

I was a child growing up in the late nineties. I was...maybe 6 when the gen 1 games came out? 7?

Anyway, it was a huge fad back then, and the cards and toys and everything were everywhere, so it was pretty impossible not to have some exposure to it.

Well in the late 90's I remember watching the anime. All us kids at school were into it. And I'd never even heard of the games until I got a GBA and Pokemon Yellow from Santa for Christmas back in '99. Good times. So I'm pretty sure it wasn't an accident.

I cant really remember
but I believe it had something to do with seeing the anime and buying red and blue shortly afterwards.

I read about PKMN in Nintendo Power at the beginning years of it's stateside debut but I wasn't curious enough to get into the mainstream. Except for just a few bits of merchandise here and there.

It was only until I saw Lugia did I truly become attached and made it a part of my gaming life.

Anime
Then I Hated Most Of Advenced
And Got Back With DP
and missed most of season 11:(
And Been Watching Season 13+ on youtube

Mine was kinda by accident.

I was 11 or 12 and I remember my first exposure to Pokemon was the old TV commercials. One where a vacuum sucks a bunch of them up including Hitmonlee and Pikachu. And the one where two kids are trading across a couple buildings with the game link cable. Weird stuff, had no idea what it was.

I went over to my friends house a few days later and he had Pokemon Red. He proceeded to explain the ins and outs of the game, then I gave a try, and I was hooked. I got Blue soon after and we played all the time. Been a fan since.

I was big into the anime in the 90s and my brother was getting Pokemon Yellow for Christmas, But I wanted this really cool looking Pokedex that looked just like Ash's first gen pokedex so I ended up getting it and it was trash all it did was show pictures, So I had to waite till April on my birthday to get Pokemon Blue while my brother was rubbing my face in it for months.

When I was seven I saw one of the animé episodes running on TV. I guess it was either Ash catches a Pokémon! or that Samurai's challenge. I watched it and it was very addictive. I was a huge fan for few years until somewhere at the age of 10, I lost my interest for some reason.
Then, in 2008-2009 I found Pokémon again - and nowadays I'm even bigger fan than I used to be! It all happened when I decided to watch the first Pokémon episode ("Pokémon! I choose you!") since I was never saw that episode before and I got all nostalgic. Thanks to Utube, I love Pokémon again.

My friend left his DS down to go to the bathroom. (At first I thought Pokémon was like gay Yu-Gi-Oh, because of that stupid TGC)
So I asked if I could play, and he said ok. He had cheats to walk anywhere so I ran along the water and found a wild tentacool. I killed it with his Empoleon's Metal Claw. Next week I went to the store and bought Pokémon Diamond. Then Platinum came out, then SoulSilver... the list goes on :p

Well when I was six, I turned on the TV to watch cartoons before getting ready for school, and lo and behold Pokemon! After that I watched the anime religiously for several years, and for my seventh birthday mum got me a GameBoy Colour and Dad got me Pokemon Blue. I was hooked until 2003-04 when I stopped playing (I was scared of getting bullied for still liking Pokemon, since most people then saw it as childish). Last year when HeartGold and SoulSilver came out, I picked up SoulSilver and I've never looked back.

I remember the day clear as crystal. I was at my friends house, and it was his birthday and his aunty or something had gotten him Pokémon Ruby. He was like :eek:. They were taking me back to my house and he was playing it in the car. It was so cool, normal monster games for handheld consoles are usually shitty, but this had a nice professional touch to it, that w=made it not cheesy. I already had a GBA, because I used to play scooby doo (which I couldn't get past the first level and it gave me a headache :/) and stuff on it. Anyway, I couldn't get over why trainers were called trainers and not boots. Then I think I got the game ruby for my birthday, then later he told me that sapphire only had 3 Pokémon that were the same. RTurns out after I bought it he meant only 3 that were different. Then I got Fire Red, preordered. I remember the first day I played it, on the way home on the train. My GBA was on red charge :/ Then I got emerald after that. That was my last game, for a long time.Then about 4 months ago I started playing on this Poképlushies site. Then I found my NDS in the draw and started playing on emerald again. After that I bought White with my HMV vochers and haven't looked back. Good times, ahhh.

I was familiar with the anime long before I knew anything about the games (I remember that I first started watching the anime in the spring of 1999, but the games weren't released on our side of the pond until a lot later that year).

Basically, it was the Easter holidays, I had recently turned 14 and loved nothing better than to spend my mornings off from school watching cartoons on Sky One, and Pokemon just happened to be part of that package. Intially, I took a shine to the show because the quirky, colourful designs of the pokemon themselves really intrigued me and drew me in, but before long I became caught up in the story itself (true, it wasn't a particularly deep or intricate story, but it had a cute sort of appeal to me). When I heard about the games, and that I would soon have the chance to live out my own silly fantasies of being a pokemon trainer via my trusty Game Boy, I was over the moon. I made a special point to pick up my copy of Blue on the day of release, and from that point onward I was hooked.^^

My nephew who was two years younger than me had Ruby... I used to watch him play and sometimes I got to catch something or help him mash the A button (because if you mash the A button hard enough the pokemon will be caught:p).
I remember he had a Blaziken that I really didn't like, and that he didn't catch any female pokemon :p

Then, his friend gave him Emerald and I got to start a new game on his Ruby... I still remember my awesome Treecko. I named it Thelma even if it was a male, I just pretended that it was a female. And I thought Absorb was the best move ever.

Then after a while I started a new game and caught a Ralts. Ralty was the only mon I trained through the whole game. I've loved Gardevoir ever since.

Good times, good times...

I was about 5 at the time, I don't remember if it's because I heard about it back then in elementary school or if I just randomly saw the anime for the first time on TV, but I used to watch Pokémon whenever I got back from school. I had (and still have) a lot of plushies and figurines, I was really a huge fan. It was only when I got into videogames when I turned 8 years old that I discovered about the Pokémon games. My friend who played a lot of videogames with me was the one who told me about them. He had Ruby. My mom bought me Sapphire not too long after that, and that's how I got into the Pokémon games. I stopped watching the anime for a while, mainly because it stopped airing on TV here, but I eventually continued watching it on the Internet. Now I'm a fan of both the anime and the games. :)

I was familiar with the anime long before I knew anything about the games (I remember that I first started watching the anime in the spring of 1999, but the games weren't released on our side of the pond until a lot later that year).

Basically, it was the Easter holidays, I had recently turned 14 and loved nothing better than to spend my mornings off from school watching cartoons on Sky One, and Pokemon just happened to be part of that package. Intially, I took a shine to the show because the quirky, colourful designs of the pokemon themselves really intrigued me and drew me in, but before long I became caught up in the story itself (true, it wasn't a particularly deep or intricate story, but it had a cute sort of appeal to me). When I heard about the games, and that I would soon have the chance to live out my own silly fantasies of being a pokemon trainer via my trusty Game Boy, I was over the moon. I made a special point to pick up my copy of Blue on the day of release, and from that point onward I was hooked.^^

all of yall were born wen yellow came out i was probably inside my mom at tht time

I watched and had enjoyed the anime for a while, wanted to get the games, and was turned down. Then, a few years later, in the GBA age, I went into a GameStop and saw an Emerald demo and was like "O_O they still make Pokemon games? I WANT." As an eventual result of that, I got FR. And just because the DP season sucked does not mean I'll be dropping one of my most favorite franchises anytime soon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom