• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did YOU get into pokemon was it an accident?

I was listening to videos on youtube, when I heard one with a Pokémon backing track (We all live in a Pokémon World). I liked the song, so I looked up some more Pokémon songs. I listened to 'What kind of Pokémon are you?' and I liked it. A picture of a cute Pokémon came up with the words 'Reach higher with Fire - go Flareon!' so I assumed it was Flareon. I looked up Flareon on Google, found its Bulbapedia page, I began liking Flareon and the rest of the Pokémon.

I remember going out with my family to buy a game for my brother when we were younger (my brother was 7 and I was 5 at the time). I was interested so I watched my brother play it on his Game Boy (which was given to him by one of my older cousins) when we got home. It turned out to be Pokemon Blue and I took a liking to it straight away.

I watched him play it all the time and over the next couple of years, I got my own Game Boy Color as well as his copy of Blue. He lost his interest in the games over the years so he handed it down to me.

My parents bought me a copy of Pokemon Crystal for my GBC which I really enjoyed. At the same time I discovered the show on a morning cartoon show called Cheez TV. My interest in the show is gone but I have been following the games ever since.

Last edited:
in third grade i started to draw them. buying the game was the biggest mistake of my life...

in third grade i started to draw them. buying the game was the biggest mistake of my life...

By which you mean, of course, that you became so addicted that it spoiled your social life or some such. Of course.

On topic: My mum got Blue at some point when it was new and got addicted, it being her first videogame (though she can't find time for Pokemon anymore, and stopped after defeating the Pokemon League in Diamond). She began collecting all the games (not Green and Japanese Red). Gradually I started playing seriously in Ruby, though I have played (to some degree) in every generation. In fact, in Generation Four, my little sister got addicted too... I hope to be giving my grandchildren copies of the six-dimensional Generation 48 for Christmas some day.

Watched the first anime episode when it aired on Finnish TV. Soon bought my first Topps trading cards which were hot stuff that time and started playing the games.

I don't remember much details, really. I just remember getting a copy of Red Version for my 13th birthday. I was hooked since that day.

I saw other kids playing it at school and I wanted to play. Got Red for my 9th birthday.

I remember when I was around five or six years old.
I saw the anime being advertised while I watched Sailor Moon...
I thought "This looks cool", so I checked it out and instantly fell in love with Pikachu and Pokemon in general. I still love Pokemon today! :D

For some reason I can't remember how I got into it.
It was either the anime, Pokemon Stadium on Nintendo 64 or the Pokemon Blue I got with my GameBoy Color.
I have no idea what I watched/played first. Anyway it was so popular back then and everyone brought their GameBoys or Trading Cards to school.

Aah...good times.......

I've been watching Pokemon since I was four. I never got a gameboy, until I turned 9 and got a Gambey Advanced SP. I asked for pokemon Sapphire. I got Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire. And I wasn't even the one that got addicted, my mum was the one! Eventually I got Sapphire from a friend of ours. First I had to get my Gameboy back, because my mother wanted to play until 'she got them all'...

2 weeks later I could finally play it. Played all games ever since.

My second cousin introduced me to the anime, and I learned about the card game in school, so I started begging my mom to get me Pokèmon Yellow and a game boy.For my Birthday that year they got the game boy color, and Pokèmon Red because Yellow was sold out...but I loved it from day one.

I probably first heard of Pokemon when I was three or so, on TV. I used to love the anime and I remember the ads for Red and Blue on the cheap used VHS tapes I collected. I had friends at this summer-camp-daycare thing I used to go to who used to have little crowds around them, watching them play R/B/Y and G/S/C on their Gameboy DMGs and Colors. Pokemon was the only game which everyone there had, and I soon got really great at it from borrowing their Gameboys, and they would often come to me for advice on catching Pokemon and training, though I didn't actually own a Pokemon main-series game or a Gameboy (I did have Hey You Pikachu, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon Stadium for my special Pikachu N64 I got for my fourth birthday). Then when I was six or seven, my mom bought me the special-edition NES-style GBA SP which I had begged for for a while. It came with Metroid: Zero mission, which I was pretty bad at at the time and didn't play often, so I stuck to my N64 for a while. Soon after that, I saw an ad for FR/LG on Cartoon Network, and begged my mom to reserve it for me. I got Fire Red the day it came out, and my life was never the same. I've come to love every generation of Pokemon games since then. Fire Red taught me to be a better reader and to be better at math, as did Yu-Gi-Oh. If not for the little red cartridge, I would probably not be the person I am today.

I probably first heard of Pokemon when I was three or so, on TV. I used to love the anime and I remember the ads for Red and Blue on the cheap used VHS tapes I collected. I had friends at this summer-camp-daycare thing I used to go to who used to have little crowds around them, watching them play R/B/Y and G/S/C on their Gameboy DMGs and Colors. Pokemon was the only game which everyone there had, and I soon got really great at it from borrowing their Gameboys, and they would often come to me for advice on catching Pokemon and training, though I didn't actually own a Pokemon main-series game or a Gameboy (I did have Hey You Pikachu, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon Stadium for my special Pikachu N64 I got for my fourth birthday). Then when I was six or seven, my mom bought me the special-edition NES-style GBA SP which I had begged for for a while. It came with Metroid: Zero mission, which I was pretty bad at at the time and didn't play often, so I stuck to my N64 for a while. Soon after that, I saw an ad for FR/LG on Cartoon Network, and begged my mom to reserve it for me. I got Fire Red the day it came out, and my life was never the same. I've come to love every generation of Pokemon games since then. Fire Red taught me to be a better reader and to be better at math, as did Yu-Gi-Oh. If not for the little red cartridge, I would probably not be the person I am today.

i feel the same

i was obsesed with the tcg for a very long time... since about 1996 i think... at one point i had over 6000 cards, but then around 1999 i fell in love with the tv show and movies (the one with mewtwo) i had my first game when ruby first came out, but around 2007 i tryed to get out of pokemon thinking it was only for kids and sold all my card, games and movies... i only got back into it when the NintenoDS came out with SS/HG and dispite much reget for trying to get out of pokemon and selling everything, i still love the games and tv/movies... although never got back into the cards have often been tempted to buy a pack when i walk past them in stors

im from australia, there is not all that much surport for pokemon over here... it sucks, i realy wanted that event celebi :banghead:

1st time: I was just sitting one saturday morning watching SMTV:live when this show came on- pokemon! I watched it and it blew my mind. From that moment I was hooked. I collected hundreds of cards, played everywhere with imaginary pokemon, I even got a gameboy magazine (when I didn't own a gameboy) just because it came with a free pokemon book. I begged my uncle and dad for everything I saw with the word pokemon and when I finally got a gameboy colour with the latest pokemon game (yellow) I felt like I'd found the holy grail!

2nd time: I was just going about my day when I saw an advert for fire red/ leaf green and all the memories of yellow and silver came racing back. I bought it and now I'm well and truly back.

I hated it.

Diamond, Christmas, Smile, Anime, Platinum, BEST GAME EVAR.

My cousin showed it to me. It looked like the coolest game ever, so I bought one the very next day.

I forget exactly how I got into Pokemon. I do remember that back then, it was all the rage at my school, and eventually I decided to try to learn more about Pokemon, to see what all the fuss was about, mainly by asking my classmates about it. I started to get interested. Eventually got Yellow, Red, and Blue (in that order) on my 10th birthday, as well as a Game Boy Color, and I was hooked.

With a mustache.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom