• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did YOU get into pokemon was it an accident?

My brother in law's brother was playing ,looked nice,downloaded the rom at home and became hooked :ksmile:

Last edited:
It all started with the anime many many years ago. Even though I watched the anime quiet a lot and usually whenever it aired, I never got the games until around the beginning of the 3rd Generation when I got Ruby for Christmas. Never been too much the same since, as Ruby would quickly become the best handheld game I ever played at that point, and this trend would slowly continue until I got a DS and Diamond. Eventually, it wouldn't just be the best handheld game I had, but after losing interest in most other games I played, it would be the best games I had period. Ironically though the anime is what got me interested in the series, but the anime is unimportant to me now since I play the games instead most of the time.

Peer Pressure. Pokemon was the biggest fad at my school at the time, and all my friends would talk about it and it would be like Greek to me. So, one day I went to the store and brought Pokemon Diamond. It changed my life.

When I was moving, I was staying at my cousins' house. I woke up to them watching the anime and saw one playing Red or Blue, got said games for Easter along with t-shirts and action figures, and the rest was history.

I was 6. My mom took me to the local Target. I saw the Blue box and wanted it.

The rest is history. I'm almost 19 now.

I was 8 when my father bought me a gameboy with pokemon silver or gold (can't remember exactly). He bought it in the US while he was on a business trip there. Funny, my first version was in English & I didn't understand a word. (my native tongue is French). I then had pokemon games in French.

Complete accident;

I was in the days where Power Ragners was in the hands of Saban it was during its glory days when Power Rangers in Space was on, it was the episode where they got the Mega Voyager.

It was a commerical break so I was flipping through the channels, then I came across a show where a bunch of "floating rocks with hands joined together and created a spinning circle" then a bunch of other creatures were battling a group of evil people in black uniforms with an "R" on their shirts.

This was of course the very first episode of Pokemon aired in U.S. Battle Aboard the St. Anne, the rocks were a bunch of Geodudes fighting Team Rocket. Ever since that day I was hooked, regrets??? Well, just the money over the years that was spent on games, movies, cards (especially cards I got like 4 binders full well over 1000 cards) hopefully one day they'll be worth money and I won't feel bad about buying them.

The show/games taught me about how to never give up, try to be the best like no one ever was (yes I still live by that motto and that's how I got into college by striving for perfection), strategies that I apply in study and other things and friends are important in life.

So, overall I'm glad I was introduced to the show :)

My friends had Pokemon Cards, and I watched them play and battle and stuff. I payed attention to how some people pronounced names, and if someone pronounced a Pokemon wrong, I'd correct them. Then I got Pokemon Diamond for Christmas and I played it and now I like Pokemon alot.

Not an accident, really - for me, it was back in the late 90s when the initial Pokémon fad was hitting the US. I never really got into the card game like other kids did, but I followed the anime. By the time I saved up enough to get a Gameboy Color and Pokémon Gold, though, its public popularity was really waning. I didn't care, though - Gold got me hooked, and I've been a fan ever since.

I just realized - I'm old enough to remember this, and some of the people posting in this thread probably weren't even born yet. I feel old now.

I got a pack of FR/LG cards. Just the nine.
In it was a Mr. Mime EX.
I had no idea what it meant but from that point on I was hooked. I got my first game, Diamond, on my 9th birthday.
I still have Priscilla the Lv 100 Torterra.

For me, it all started when pokemon aired on tv (late 90s). Between my viewings of Sailor Moon, Lamb Chop, and Batman, i'd watch pokemon. I feel in love with the story, and the monsters were kinda cool. I loved pikachu cuz he was just adorable :3 So i watched religiously for many years. My 1st pokemon game i think was Stadium, and me and my cousins would "battle" each other all the time with the rental pokemon (since we had never heard of Red/Blue/Green/Yellow) and played the mini-games.

When i moved into a knew home (i was living with my nana up until that point), that Christmas, my little brother (~4) and i (~10) were given our own "starter sets" of pokemon. I got a copy of Gold with a matching GBC ho-oh carry case (and a green GBC), and my brother a copy of Silver with matching lugia carry case and a blue GBC.

We played them all the time, though since my brother had a very hard time reading, he didn't get into the games as much as i did. Once i beat Gold, i stopped playing the games there. i never knew about Crystal cuz nobody i knew played the video games, only the cards.

So fast forward a couple of years and add many books, cards, toys, stickers, etc. of pokemon, i finally got sick of it all and stopped watching the anime, and never knew they made any other pokemon games past Gold and Silver. (i was sheltered from the "evil and perverted" internet so i had no clue about any of this.)

Eventually on another Christmas i was given FireRed with a Spice and Lime GBA SP and loved it. I played it to the fullest. I eventually got stuck at the Braille/Cut the door mission and stopped again for a few years.

I only got back into pokemon recently when i stumbled across my old games (Kirby Tiltn' tumble, catwoman, star wars, xena, etc.) and saw my old FireRed game. Turned it on, and waves of nostalgia washed over me. I decided to play a mock run through the E4 for laughs and when my Charizard beat the champ by sheer luck, that was it, i was hooked again. i screamed and hollered and cheered some more. Pokemon was exciting to me again :)

After that i HAD to figure out how to get past that bumpy door, and looked it up on the internet. you can imagine just how stupid i felt at how to get passed it. :p

That was maybe, 3-4yrs ago. And here i am today watching the anime, playing most of the games, not buying as much merch as before, but still in love with pokemon, and i'll die that way <3

Since then i've made sure to get Platinum (which blew me away even though it was a couple years old to everyone else), Emerald (even though i knew all the backlash the fandom was giving that game), HeartGold, and White. I'll never leave pokemon, never <3

Kind of. I had this Rapidash tin...

was that Rapidash tin pink? :3 my nana bought me that tin x) i covered it in pokemon stickers though :p

...But I wanted this really cool looking Pokedex that looked just like Ash's first gen pokedex so I ended up getting it and it was trash all it did was show pictures...

i got that same one, well, i mean i stole it lol at my daycare in 5th grade (back in '00) every kid was into pokemon, and i took one of the older kids pokedexes from their cubby. they knew it was theirs, but i wouldn't admit it :p i still have it, though i've never been able to crack the PW part and never had the heart to erase his file on it :c

Last edited:
One of my Mum's friends had a son who gave me a Game boy colour and some really bad games (one of which was a Mickey Mouse racing game). We went to game to get some games for it, but they didn't have any. We ended up in this weird shop on the edge of town. I saw Pokemon Crystal on the shelf, and I immediately fell in love with Suicune. Mum bought it for me, and I was hooked.

One of my Dad's Colleuges went to KFC with his/her kids, and there were Pokemon things there. He/She passed it on to my Dad for me and my bro. I got a Turtwig Card Holder, a Lucario and a Shinx Card. I really liked it. I started watching the Anime. I got Mystery Dungeon as my first DS game, with Pokemon Ranger. Then there was Platinum. By then, I was a Poke Freak.

It was on KidsWB which was like small child crack on saturday mornings :) Then I got into the card game (never learned to play...) then the actual game...yeah I did it all backwards..OH well!

I would borrow my big brother's gameboy to play in the car sometimes when i was around 3-4 ish. He didn't want me to mess up his Gold game, so my mom bought me Red Version. For some reason i always wanted to start over after i beat Misty. After my brothers dropped Pokemon as a hobby, i didn't think a thing of it until I was about 6. My dad brought me a pack of cards from Japan from a business trip. I loved them, and my dad got me more every time he went to Japan. When my mom saw i liked it, she bought me some occasionally when we went to the grocery store. I loved those too. Eventually, for Christmas i got a red Gameboy SP with FireRed Version. I still have the gameboy and FireRed to this day. When i was 7 my dad got me Emerald (which i also still have..) That was when i REALLY got into it. I bought the cards, played the game, even completed the entire Hoenn Pokedex one summer (back then, Kyogre was my best Pokemon, i trained him to level 96 before my save file crashed). After I got my DS for Christmas in 2006, i bought Diamond the day it came out. The rest is history, i bought every game after that (except platinum) and now I watch the anime and everything! (i even have a talking pikachu stuffed animal a friend gave me)

I knew about Pocket Monsters for a while when it first came out and was surprised when it came to the US, I didn't think it would be the sort of thing they'd try to bring over, but I didn't care about it at all just read in Game Pro when the game was a hit in Japan and again during the epilepsy crisis.

When I heard the cartoon was airing in America I turned on the Maidens Peak episode on the morning of its first airing just to see if I'd have a seizure or not.

The rest is history.

My brother had a friend who was selling his old gameboy games. My bro asked me if anything looked interesting cause he had extra cash for another game. The story wrote itself from there.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom