• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you get into pokemon?

For games, my friend encouraged me to get Gold. That made me a Pokemaniac.

Wow this takes me back lol. It was around the time that Pokemon first came out in the U.S. and my cousin had a Pokemon mousepad and I asked him what it was. He told me about it and what time and channel it came on. After watching some of the show I got Blue version on my Gameboy (not Gameboy Color, just Gameboy lol).

fourteen years ago, I saw "Battle Aboard The St. Anne" when it first came out (it was even shown before Pokemon, I choose You)

The rest is history. I never played the games until Gold and Silver, though

I had gotten one of the books called, "pikachu's vacation" and I started collecting the mini chapter books...then I got into the show and games...

My sister and I are a year apart and we always wanted the same things but then we didn't want to copy each other so we would fight whether or not my mom got us the same thing or different things. She learned she had to get us things that were very similar but not identical...and then Red and Blue came out, perfect for my family.

And then Yellow came out and all the fights started all over again, haha.

saw the first episode on tv, seemed interesting to 6 year old me, shortly after i got pokemon yellow and 13 years later, here i am

A few reasons, actually. I heard about Pokemon back in 2000, when it's presumably newly introduced in Malaysia (because I never heard of it before that). I hated it because it was popular. Silly reason, I know, but well, that's me (although I am still indifferent to popular things I don't care about, like My Little Pony). Anyway, one of the reasons that got me interested to Pokemon is how my cousins played those games around that time. Another reason is knowing that Pikachu participated in Smash Bros., which is a sign that Pokemon is a Nintendo franchise. Earthbound fans can attest that Smash Bros. got them interested to that franchise. Another reason is the games are fun, but more importantly, Pokemon is a surprisingly deep competitive game, so the interest practically stayed for the time being.

Thanks for reading.

My cousin introduced the TCG to me before introducing me with the game (I think that was the order). At that time, we played the TCG without the rules, because, In Indonesia, theme decks like Green Tornado? NONE. They're all fake. I even have a full box of fakes. My only REAL TCG collection was the Black and White collection (Green Tornado Theme Deck).
And that's why I am playing Pokemon right now. I even used Sceptile for my team because my cousin likes Sceptile. He even raised it to Lv.80! It was in a (fake) Pokemon Ruby game.

I believe my first exposure to Pokemon was when my brother and I got an old Nintendo 64 in 2003. It came with Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium. After we started playing those games, I started watching the anime (I can't remember if my brother did the same). I remember having a bunch of VHS tapes of the original Kanto series.

Then in 2004, I got an old GameBoy Color at a garage sale. It came with Silver, Gold, and Yellow. Those were my first main series games. And now here I am.

When I was about 8 or 9 back in 1998 or 1999. My uncle was in a local bowling league and we went to watch him bowl. My dad saw a kid a few years older than me looking through a giant stack of cards. We started talking and I thought they were cool. He told us what Pokemon was. My dad bought some of his cards from him and thats how it started. I still have the little card book that he gave us with the cards. Its blue with Charmander on it and I keep my rare cards in it :)

I think I was about 8 or 9 years old, and my cousins sent us some Pokemon cards in the mail. They weren't anything special - mostly stuff like Weedle, Pidgey and the likes. But after talking with my friends about them, I gradually gained an interest in the TCG, anime, and even more so the games. It's all just history from then.

When I was about 6ish, my best friend at the time got Red Version, and she sometimes let me borrow it, and I absolutely loved it! When I got my DS, I didn't have any Pokemon games so we sometimes swapped, because I preferred her game to mine. Then someone bought me Diamond as a present, and from then on I haven't been able to stop myself playing!

Here we go:

I only started playing Pokémon in January this year. I knew people who loved it before that, and they kept asking me to buy a game so I could trade with them. For some reason, I never really got around to it. Last year I befriended these two girls who had heaps of legit shines and legendaries, and it was their constant nagging persuading that led to me finally getting HeartGold. From the moment I got my starter, I was completely hooked. I spent the next 11 months trying to get games from every generation and completing them (which I still haven't actually done.) Well, I have the games... but I haven't started a few of them.

I actually got interested in Pokemon because of the merchandise. I saw a Flareon/Eevee two pack at my local Toys R Us and my curiosity was piqued. I didn't actually play any of the games until a year or so later and once I started playing I was hooked.

How I, King Julian (that's my name) got into Pokémon

I had a real intuition for Pokémon back when I was 4 and 5 (as my mother told me), but none of my peers were into it at the time, so I moved on to some other unimportant series, until I stumbled back upon it in (I think) 2005, when a daycaregiver stole my Sonic Advance 2 (because she's just that ghetto). My mom took me to Wal-Mart to find and buy any game on the shelf, and I think I just picked Pokémon Emerald because of its shiny box art. I picked it over Ruby and Sapphire because it had what I thought to be a cooler Pokémon on the cover. From then on, my collection and experience constantly expanded, and hasn't stopped since. X3

Summer 2007. My friend looooooooooooved pokemon, so I decided to be like him and love it too. My first item for pokemon was a Pikachu plush, while my first game was fire red. I got fire red from a birthday party in the fall of the same year.

It started when I was playing my brother's Pokemon Yellow game, I was at Lavender Tower and I got SOOO addicted to the series that I started a new game. But now he gave me his Yellow and Red versions and yeah. That is my story.

I've watched the anime sinds I was 4 or so, but I actually started playing the games since 2003, when Sapphire came out. I was hooked from the moment I watched the anime, but I didn't get a game boy until I was 8. I asked Pokemon Sapphire with it for my birthday, and what did I get? Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Pinball! Fun game nonetheless. Eventually i got Sapphire, and here I am. Have played at least one game of a pair, of all games.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom