• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you get into pokemon?

i got into the cards when i was 6 and played silver for the first time when i was... 10? idk it was a while ago. but pretty much all i remember from my childhood is loving pokemon and getting made fun of for it -_-;

i got into the cards when i was 6 and played silver for the first time when i was... 10? idk it was a while ago. but pretty much all i remember from my childhood is loving pokemon and getting made fun of for it -_-;

When i was five i started to watch pokemon dubbed in our national language. I watched till Johto Journeys then only saw it once or twice. Then in 2009, a relative got my a Pokemon Platinum game. I really liked it and all, then i started watching DP, then whatnot. Somehow, i got introduced into Bulbapedia. Maybe google.

Ah yes... The year was 1997 and I was 6 years old. My mother had a friend from work who had a son who was into the pokemon craze. The kid had just finished playing Red version and he was bored with it after beating it, so he gave me his copy of Red version for free. This was the first time I had ever been interested in the pokemon craze and I was hooked.

I watched the original series on KidsWB (before it was renamed the CW), and I fucking loved it! To this day, I am still a PokeGeek!

I watched the series on TV in the mornings before school. As for the games, I found a gameboy with blue version in it and haven't looked back since.

Got interested in the new Cartoon Network show, called "Pokémon". Was counting days for it to start airing, and loved it when it began. Later found out about games and TCG.

I heard about the television show from some kids at the local laundromat. =p After that, I found out about the games and the TCG et cetera. By the by, I was oh, nine or ten at the time. =p

14 years ago, I was 10, and woke up one Saturday morning before anyone else so went and turned the T.V on. I caught the tail end of whatever insignificant cartoon was on at the time, then BAM! Episode One. I watched as Ash woke up late, ran to Prof Oak's lab in his pyjamas, missed out on the starters and received a reluctant Pikachu. I laughed as Ash got robbed by a Rattata and beaten up by Pidgey, sat on the edge of my seat as he and Pikachu ran from the Spearow, and cried when Pikachu badly injured himself thundering the whole flock to hell. From that moment on I was completely, utterly and absolutely hooked. My parents found out it was a game before I did, and suprised me with a GameBoy and Pokemon Red for my birthday. Thousands of dollars on batteries, four handheld consoles and 5 generations later, here I am. What an awesome 14 years its been

The show was fun to watch. Then I discovered the games and have never stopped since.
I think back when I saw it, season 2 was starting up. (I feel like an Omanyte now)

My Dad!

He started watching it from the very first episode they aired in the UK (on Sky One in 1999) and after a couple of episodes I was hooked. He bought and played Pokémon Yellow and then once he was done with it he let me have it. ^_^ He stopped playing after Pokémon Gold (he got two badges into Crystal before giving it to me - I'd already completed Silver by this point) so it's not something we enjoy together anymore. In fact, he mocks me for still liking it. xD

I was probably 12 when I got into it. I saw a commercial that had *gasp* Charizard in it! That and his picture on the box art of Red really pulled me into playing the games. There I saw plenty of other mons I would become big fans of and the rest is history. :3

Kind of a funny story...

When I was 5, my dad took me to GameStop to buy me some games for my Gameboy Advance, and I saw Pokemon Blue.
Truth is, at that time, I thought Blastoise's shell was a soccer ball xD

So I bought the game, memorized the name "Pokemon", then got Crystal, then got Ruby, then got Diamond, then got a ton others. :p

When I was 2 (yes.), my step-sister introduced me to it! The only good thing about the divorce ;D
It was also the year of 2000!

Last edited:
I think when my parents bought me my GBC they happened to get a Pokemon game for me too. :)

I used to not like Pokemon, mainly because people said it was better than Yuugiou (>:[)
Then I saw Black and White on TV......
and then I started watching the subbed version because I liked some character designs
and the rest is history xD

There was a special French dub in my province that continued until Advanced Generation, so I watched the anime then. I was about four or five when Indigo League started. When they stopped airing it, I lost interest in the franchise because I wasn't even aware there were games. In September or October last year, I had a nostalgia trip and decided to re-watch the whole anime. The first season I watched in French, but the rest in English. It took me about 6 months. I asked for SoulSilver in between and received it for Christmas.

I first got into Pokemon when it used to air at...seven in the morning on Saturdays back in my elementary school years. Then I got into the game franchise when I was in the second or third grade I believe when my aunt(who lives with me along with my uncle and cousin)gave me Pokemon Red.

Way way back in the year 1998. after i got home after school i turned on the tv for after school cartoons and pokemon was on. i got hooked and kept watching. it became my new activity and has led to where i am today

It's hard to remember, since I was born the same year Pokemon was introduced. So Pokemon has been through my whole life. The earliest I can remember was when I was watching Pokemon on TV when I was in house I hadn't been in since I was about 3. And I remember watching the anime series (I think it was the Indigo League, Season 1) when I was very young and from there I had an interest in Pokemon. Then on my younger brother's birthday (May) when I was only 7, in 2003, I think it was my older cousin who was playing his Ruby game (Released in April) on my Game-Cube with the Gameboy Advance Player attachment. (I think he was up to the part before Sootopolis City when your taking on a whole bunch of team Magma members) He then taught me more about Pokemon, which lead me into buying my first Pokemon game. Pokemon Sapphire Version.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom