• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you get into pokemon?

My cousin went to sleep and i saw his gameboy then i turned it on and my life was changed forever i stayed all night trying to beat misty

Well... My cousin was playing it and let me borrow it. From there onwards I became obsessed... Not that exciting story.

My folks got me a Game Boy bundle pack containing a Game Boy color, Blue version and a strategy guide. Given I didn't really understand it till a little later, that's the start of how I became the Pokefan I am today.

I first got into pokemon whe my cousin was going off to college and he wasn't aloud to take any of his video games do he passed on his GB and Pokemon Red game to me.

In 2007, my two brothers got Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. I wasn't really interested, but when I was bored, I watched them play it. In 2008, my older brother got Mystery Dungeon Explorers of darkness, my interest level was a bit higher, but not high. I did happen to catch the ending though, and before I knew it, I was bawling my eyes out. In 2010 my younger brother got HG/SS and played through it. I didn't have any interest in it. In 2011, my brother got black and White, there was a slightly higher level of interest on my side this time, and I watched a few battles, but not more. Fall 2011, I thought "screw this!", grabbed my brothers platinum and started the epic 127 hour long journey to the Elite 4, by the time I was there, I had a LV 86 Tangrowth, Lv 75 Garchomp, level 68 Rhyperior and more. All of them had four offensive moves (facepalm). The Elite 4, despite me being overleveled, wasn't easy. Rhyperior could crush Aaron, Tangrowth drained bertha, but Flint was the first real hard one. I wanted to destroy him with Rhyperior, but my first Stone Edge missed, Magmortar got the sun up and obliterated Rhyperior with a Solarbeam. Lucian wasn't that hard, but after that, the most nerve-wrecking battle in my entire life happened, Cynthia. I managed to pick off her Pokémon, one by one, but she picked mine off too. After Tangrowth, my highest level, went down, I sent out Garchomp, in an attempt to sweep a little. However, her lower leveled garchomp had luck. My Dragon Rush missed and she KO-ed my garchomp with the same move. I only had my lower leveled Pokémon left, that I kinda dropped. Even my Giratina got destroyed, however, not without KO-ing two more of Cynthia's Pokémon. After that, the most nerve-wrecking face-off ever happened. Lv 41 Torterra VS Lv 58 Roserade. Somehow, I managed to win, the 127 hour journey had ended, and I was into Pokémon. Now, the Sinnoh games are the most nostalgic thing in existence for me. I love D/P/Pt, not only because of the nostalgia, but I also like the jazziness, the Pokémoon style, the storyline, the region itself and the music.

2003- 4 years old, started watching the anime, got addicted and the rest is history.

Never was allowed to play the video game but i had some tradig cards when inwas seven and I discovered the manga a week ago and I'm addicted to it

1st. wave: I was about 8 years old and started watching the show because it ran between another cartoons I was watching at weekends mornings
2nd wave: About half year ago I remembered it and started rewatching old episodes from nostalgia. Then came newer series and now also the games and bulbapedia/-garden and everything... :)

I was in second grade when I heard about Pokemon, it was really popular, and of course I felt left out and everything. It took a lot of persuading (my parents are not video game people), but I got a Game Boy Advance and Pokemon Ruby for my 8th birthday and became hooked. I then got FireRed, Sapphire, Red Rescue Team, and eventually a DS and Pearl. I stopped playing Pokemon once I got out of elementary school, but I started it again this past year after Black and White came out. That's when I discovered Bulbagarden and the rest is history. :)

It was 1999 and I was watching the anime with my older brother in his room. We were watching Pikachu's Goodbye and despite not seeing the other episodes before, I ended up crying so much at the end. I became hooked into the anime right after that and started to watch the episodes on Kids' WB after seeing that episode. After awhile, I bought more of the toys, I became more interested in the video games once the second generation came out with all of those new Pokemon and I rented Pokemon Silver who knows how many times from Blockbuster until I got my own copy for a Christmas gift.

I was in kindergarden when pokémon started showing in the TV's. I became a fan since then.

Started watching the show when I was 9. Then, my cousin introduced me to the TCG.

The two events go hand-in-hand; I would've have become really interested in the show were it not for the TCG, but I wouldn't have looked twice at the TCG if I hadn't already been watching a bit of the show. I bought, I think, 3 decks and many, many booster packs.

Then, sometime in my 11th year of existence, I suddenly stopped giving a damn about everything Pokémon and found new obsessions.

Annnnnd, here I am again! :D I'm here to stay this time, hopefully.

When I was little the show played all the time, and almost every kid was obsessed with it. I the liked the adventure and obviously the Pokemon. I then got obsessed with Yu-Gi-Oh! when I got one of the cards that was accidentally put with the Pokemon cards, Psychic Kappa:spin:. Then I broke my TV and eventually forgot about both:bheart:. A while after I was allowed to have cable again I was looking through the TV guide and saw the original Yu-Gi-Oh! on, not 5Ds. I watched it and was instantly re-obsessed:banana:. That caused me to remember my love of Pokemon. So I watched a random episode, which I found boring:disgust:. After that I was talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! with my best friend who likes Pokemon. I thought that my friend and I should form a duel team that specializes in Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon, a compromise of our two tastes. Then I randomly remembered Psyduck, and became fixed on watching Pokemon. I asked my friend to watch the first movie with me, since I still loved Mew and Mewtwo:lx150::lx151:. Because of that I got into it again:yahoo:.

When I was 8 years old when I and my sister saw Pokemon Poster in front of my mom's former office :)

I was around 4 years old, and my dad bought me a pack of Pokemon cards (I have no idea why he did; I guess he thought I'd like them, which I did). Then, he somehow got Pokemon Red and Blue to play on the computer. It wasn't via emulator, since they had the borders around them that you see when you play them in Stadium. I still to this day have no idea how he did it.

Then it all escalated from there. xDDD I'm 20 now, and my dad still sends me Pokemon stuff for my birthday.

I'm not too sure. I think I was like 7 or so (I don't remember at all) and found a pack of Pokemon cards. And after getting the cards I found that the series had games, and I ended up buying red...and I've been hooked since then. ^^ And I actually still have the first holographic card I got. Which was a Kangaskhan. :D

I think I was about six or seven when I saw a clip of the anime playing on a TV in a corner store near my house. Then I forgot about it for a few weeks until I saw it again while watching TV at home. After that I started buying packs of Pokemon cards until my birthday when I got a gameboy and Pokemon Blue. And the rest is a long boring story that eventually lead here.

When i was 4, my older brother introduced it to me. My first game was Yellow. I've played every game after that.

It was funny, i had no interest in pokémon at first. My mom pretty much told me it was evil/stupid/bad so i never gave much thought to it. Until one December when my mom bought pokémon diamond for my cousin for Christmas because he was always into pokémon. (at the time, i was more focused on trying to get her to get me a copy of yoshi's island DS then on pokémon so i still wasn't giving much thought to it). At the christmas party, i watched him play the new game and i was really interested in it after watching him get all the way to oreburgh city. I told my mom i might want a pokémon game too, but she pretty much shot down that idea.
It wasn't until the summer of 2009 that i got my first game. My older sister invited my brother and i to have a sleep over at her house. She was letting us play with some DS games she had recently obtained and as i was looking through the games, a found a copy of pokémon pearl. Well, i was pretty much addicted right away. The game already had a saved file on it, but the only part that had been played through was the beginning part. So i played through the whole game as the heroine named Red Kar (they seriously named the girl that) with her starter turtwig named FRIGGIN (again, they seriously named it that) and her disobedient roserade, drifloon, and remoraid that had been traded to the game before i acquired it. And let me tell you, i was terrible at playing pokémon,(I.E. i wouldn't evolve pokémon if they got "ugly when they grow up" and i pretty much went through the whole game using an over-leveled shinx nicknamed "Cutie". I mean that thing was lvl. 72 by the time i was done) but i loved that game to bits. Seriously, there is like, 445 hours on that saved file.

I didn't get into the anime till a few months later when my cousin told me about it. I found a DVD of it at our library and checked it out since it was pokémon. It was volume 3 of the DVD set of DP so i started at the episode where ash was retrying to get his first gym badge. I remember thinking how it was "wrong" because it was so inaccurate from the game but loving the fact that ash had a turtwig, that dawn was the same girl you play as in the game and thinking that she should have a shinx, and i kept waiting for ash to put pikach in a pokéball.

And then i found out about the wonderment that is pokémon shippings thanks to facebook. *shot* but actually, i was really interested when i was introduced to the fandom. All the wonderful fanart, fanfics, and all the creative and artistic things that the fandom produces. I love the games, manga, anime (to an extent), but what i love the most is all the stuff the fandom creates for it because it's so nice to see all the people who love pokémon contribute something to it.

Now i'm such a poké-nut. I have almost all the game, lacking red, blue, green, gold, and silver as well as 5 pokémon plushies (one of them being a giant piplup) various guide books, a poster, a t-shirt, and a shaymin key-chain that i wear everyday along with my pokéwalkers. I love pokemon so much that i named my pet rabbit "Buneary". I'm serious.

AND I STILL WILL NOT EVOLVE MY LVL.72 SHINX BABY!!!!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom