• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did you get into pokemon?

Ahhhhh... Sweet memories....
A couple of years ago, my little cousin and i were comparing DS games. She was really in to Zhu-Zhu pets at the time (and i happened to have a Zhu-Zhu pets game), so she offered to trade it for Pokemon Explorers of Time. I didn't play it much so i agreed. I had no idea what Pokemon was at the time. i played on her file for a while, but i got stuck in Apple Woods. So i deleted her Munchlax (named Kate) and her Bulbasaur (named BulbasaurD) and i discovered the Pokemon called Skitty. It was love at first sight. I picked a female Chikorita as my partner, gave them nicknames (Creampuff and Fluffball- all my Skitty and Chikorita obtained have been called by the same nicknames) and began my journey. I always cry when i remember them defeating Dialga and Ceampuff the Skitty (ME) disappearing. That was how i got hooked on Pokemon. Last year for Christmas i asked for HG. After playing it i decided to google pokemon and i found Bulbapedia and Pokemon.com where i immediately began to watch the anime. I am still in love with Pokemon! GO INVINCIBLE SKITTY!

A few of my friends were telling me about Pokémon, and how cool it was. My birthday was approaching, so I told my parents about it, so they went to the local Toys "R" Us, and got me Red Version and Blue Version, since they didn't know which one to buy. Since then, I was hooked.

I think it was around 4th grade when I got into it. Once day I was flipping through the channels when I saw the Pokemon anime on. There was nothing else on so I just watched that, and soon I just started to love it. It's funny because before that I considered things like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, etc. to be 'boy shows' and I watched things like Sailor Moon and The Powerpuff Girls. Soon I started getting into those 'boy shows' and saw that girls could like them too.

As for the Pokemon games, I didn't get into those until middle school when I got my first DS and a copy of Diamond. Then my friend gave me his Emerald.

It was Christmas,and I was about 6 years old. My Stepdad gave me two presents,one was a gameboy color,the other was Pokemon yellow version. I wa already a fan of the show,it was my favorite thing to watch when I was at home. After that I became hooked to Pokemon ^_^

I got hooked when I saw a commercial for HeartGold and SoulSilver on TV. A little while later my father pre-ordered White (mine) and Black (his) and I played the Pokemon out of it. Although my father still needs to catch up with Black. ^^;

I got into Pokémon with the TV show, it is started airing where I live in 1998. I watched it daily :) Some months after, a former neighbor gained a Game Boy Color and a Pokémon Blue cartridge and I stole borrowed them for a time. I... I got hooked >_< Really, I played the game ten or more times and I only returned the GBC because my mother obligated me. xD I was what, 8/9 years old at the time.

I got into Pokemon after reading a huge feature about the series in the UK Official Nintendo Magazine's August 1999 issue. I had played a game on the Game Gear called Crystal Warriors, where some characters could tame monsters and use them in battle against enemies. I thought it was a very clever idea, but it wasn't fully developed, so a game where that aspect would be the main feature sounded perfect. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed.

WOW, what great memories i have of when i first got into Pokemon, Way back when Pokemon first aired in the U.S is when i got into pokemon i was a young kid back then and my dad would always sit down and watch whatever t.v show i wanted and one day i saw pokemon on and i just fell in love with Pokemon (and Dragon-Ball-Z) we use to watch it as much as i could and one day when i came back from school and my dad had bought me Pokemon Stadium for N64 boy was i excited i absolutely loved that game. My dad would always take the time after work to play Pokemon Stadium with me and he pretty much beat me everytime but i had so much fun playing the game. And well that's how i first got interested in pokemon, but yet i took a long long long break from pokemon and just recently getting back into it just about a year ago, i still haven't seen many of the pokemon episodes either, i haven't seen season 3 up to the current pokemon season.So i'm really just getting back into it pretty hard and have been playing Pokemon Red? (Fire?) on my DS for awhile now, But i think it's time to get Pokemon Black then possibly Black2

Looking back, I've known Pokemon for as long as I can remember. It was a part of my early years, but I didn't seem to be a very big fan of the franchise. Fast-forward to 2006 (I think that's right), and that's when I started to get truly interested.

I was on the internet one day, and I found something about Pokemon somewhere. After looking through all the Pokemon that were known at the time, I somehow developed an interest in the series (must be because I haven't followed it after generation 1).

Later, in 2007, I got a chance to play Pokemon Emerald, and my feelings for the franchise began to grow. As I played more of these games, I somehow liked Pokemon more and more, and that's what makes me the fan I am today. I'm glad that I got into this hugely successful franchise.

From Pokemon Blue in 1998, once I began playing I was hooked and since then, I've bought every game to date.

My parents bought me a Gameboy Color and Pokemon Blue for Christmas wayyy back when I was a wee youngin'. I never could put down the Gameboy. I asked for the next game and the next game and so on. Pokemon was a huge part of my life. I'm speaking in past tense because lately, I haven't really touched my DS. :( The memories were amazing, though.

Around 1998 or so, I was about 12 years old, I just remember changing channels (on some cheap basic cable) and along the way I found a cool looking show, called Pokemon, anime got me hooked on the show. Next day after school, I had to see it again.

My first experience with the games wasn't until 2004, when my uncle found a forgotten DS in a bank, and took it, it had the Mario 64 DS game on it, two weeks later, my grandma found Fire Red game that some one forgot in the hotel where she worked, played it for days non-stop. 4 months after my grandma found Fire Red, she found Sapphire, more experiences with the game..

I got into it when I started watching the first series on TV before I went to school. I also used to watch my older brother play the games.

For me i grew up with pokemon. My parents got me Pokemon blue with my game boy not that long after it came out. Which was when i was 8 or 9 years old i believe.Then there was also the anime which was on tv before i went to school. Meanwhile during primary school (for anyone familiar with the Australian education system) all my friends and myself used to be really into pokemon cards. I found a bunch of em in my closet last year and they are sitting on my computer desk now. From there on i got silver , crystal and sapphire (probably my most played pokemon game) over the years. Then i stopped getting the games because of the move over to the DS which i couldn't afford at the time.

You could definitely say im 'out' of the target audience these days but i feel like im able to enjoy the anime (and games) far more now then i did as a kid. Not quite sure why that is , increased attention span perhaps?.

I really love the anime when I was still a 4th grader, but it's so hard to watch because it shows every sunday which the day that make me always go on vacation... So I can't really love it, but since my uncle has an emulator and play Pokemon FireRed, I get really love to it even more untill now, I'm an 11th grader I got my first 3DS and Pokemon BW2 and still on 6th badge... I will love it even more when I start to battling people in the world :'D

I used to religiously watch tv series in morning before school. Then high school, homework, uni and a job filled my time. Then I met my amazing partner, he played it all the time. He got grumpy one morning when playing it, he was battling the elite four. I bet I could smash em, no probs. He said I was on. Took me out shopping so I could buy heart gold. Hooked after a couple of hours. Since then I haven't stopped. We both played heart gold and soul silver then I bought my shiny 3ds. Played black and white and now currently playing black white 2. I even went and bought first 5 seasons of pokemon and he has a Pikachu t shirt I have a furry hat and matching slippers lol epics in it.

One day I was bored of watching tv so I turned to Pokemon and decided to watch it,and it was pretty awsome. I've been a fan of pokemon after that day.

I remember first hearing about this new thing called "Pokémon" in September 1998 when the video games and the anime came stateside. There was a little blurb in Disney Adventures magazine about it, but it didn't really tell me anything about the game. Nor did that confusing print ad for Red and Blue on the back cover of the magazine. Since I didn't own a Game Boy at the time, and I didn't really know much about video games in general, I was under the mistaken assumption that this was just some goofy side-scrolling platformer where you ran around with a net capturing mutated animals that escaped from a science lab or something.

Then it began growing in popularity, and I started absorbing more information about it through cultural osmosis. By the summer of 1999, I at least knew that it was an RPG where you caught and trained these little monsters, and that there was a TV show based on it (again, I have Disney Adventures to thank for this), though I still hadn't seen either one firsthand yet. Then I started watching the anime on Kids' WB. I still remember my first episode - "The Ultimate Test", the one where Ash tries to take that placement test to get into the Pokémon League and fails miserably. I had no idea what was going on. Fortunately, the next episode I caught was "Pokémon! I Choose You", and as Kids' WB reran the first season in order, I was able to catch up from there pretty quick. After that, I started collecting the TCG cards (I remember my first booster pack, too - Koffing, Charmeleon, Kakuna, Metapod, Machop, Ponyta, and Venusaur), and finally at Christmas that year, my dad got me a Game Boy Color and Pokémon Blue. That's when I finally considered myself a full-fledged fan.

My older brother saw something about Red and Blue in the Nintendo Official Magazine and thought it looked cool. I tagged along, like I did a lot at the time and well...here I am today.

I think the first episode anime of the anime I saw was Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden, as the anime was shown on Sky at the beginning and my house didn't have satellite TV.

My very first encounter with Pokemon was an article from Manga Player, an ancient french magazine. The Porygon epilepsy thing was discussed.
Sometime later, I stumbled upon an ad of Red/Blue in Consoles +, a famous french magazine about videogames. A few weeks later, my brother managed to get the Red version. I didn't play, couldn't understand English back then, I just watched my brother playing it. A fan was born.
Later, I got into the anime, the numerous products like bubblegum with sticker, pogs, TCG... and so on.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom