• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and.......

One thing I've always wondered, if the production and cast change had never taken place, would she still have passed on? I know it sounds strange, but a different decision on such matters of high importance can arguably yield different results on many, many seemingly unrelated events.

If I remember correctly, didn't she die from food poisoning? I seem to recall that being stated back when she originally passed.

NintendoGamer said:
And I only got used to Ash's voice at the start of BW. In DP, he always put "y'know" at the end of his lines. He doesn't do it very often nowadays, though.

That has nothing to do with the voice actor. The people you should be upset with are the writers who made Ash say "y'know" a million times, not Ms. Natochenny.

I really didn't want to do this, but seriously, no one got over the voices? I really don't see things being better simply because of a different cast or voice director. I am not saying 4kids did not do a good job at that, except that they made odd scripting choices. I really don't see any difference other than that, and to me, that would make a saga that is already ridiculous even more ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
That has nothing to do with the voice actor. The people you should be upset with are the writers who made Ash say "y'know" a million times, not Ms. Natochenny.
I wasn't personally referring to Sarah Natochenny, but I just meant Ash's character in general. I like Sarah Natochenny as much as the next person, as it wasn't her fault that Ash's voice wasn't initially very good.

Sarah was only 18 when she did Ash's voice back in 2006 during Battle Frontier. They should have went with someone more experienced at the start.

Sarah was only 18 when she did Ash's voice back in 2006 during Battle Frontier. They should have went with someone more experienced at the start.

But she's gotten pretty good now. In fact, I prefer her over Veronica. Anyway, wasn't Veronica fairly young when she started to voice Ash?

But she's gotten pretty good now. In fact, I prefer her over Veronica. Anyway, wasn't Veronica fairly young when she started to voice Ash?

I think she was 18 when she did Ash's voice in Kanto too, and she was pretty bad during the first 25 or so Kanto episodes before she got her Ash voice down.

Well they would continue to cram unfitting music into every last square inch of auditory space.

Cause y'know if kids are subject to a bit of silence, they might be momentarily distracted by a vacuum cleaner or something.

I think she was 18 when she did Ash's voice in Kanto too, and she was pretty bad during the first 25 or so Kanto episodes before she got her Ash voice down.

Here's an idea, why didn't they just find some boys to do his voice? But I guess that would have made too much sense than to find 18 year old women with no job.

Cause y'know if kids are subject to a bit of silence, they might be momentarily distracted by a vacuum cleaner or something.

I've never understand how anyone could come to a conclusion like that. I mean, as a kid, I never cared much about background music unless I was really into the show.

I've never understand how anyone could come to a conclusion like that. I mean, as a kid, I never cared much about background music unless I was really into the show.

I notice the music of every show I watch, so to each their own. One of the reasons people like the Kanto dub is how much Japanese music was kept.

After seeing how 4Kids just skipped that least episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and 5D's, I'd be worried they'd do the same to Pokémon.

I think that Pokémon is the same. I don't care about voices, it's the story, the sad and joyful moment which counts.

I notice the music of every show I watch, so to each their own. One of the reasons people like the Kanto dub is how much Japanese music was kept.

Okay, point taken. Though I would why 4kids decided to mesh the US BGM and the JPN BGM when they would use one or the other. Did they like the Japanese BGM at first but wanted Wall-To-Wall music since it'd appeal to kids better.

I also don't get why they'd purposely dumb down a foreign kids show because kids would like it better. I can get censorship for TV (so long as there are uncut versions) but why make things seem dumb when you could keep things the same?

it would be the same,pokemon is the perfect anime for 4kids,its childish,no violence,cheesy stories,no death,no sad moments,no nudity,no romance nothing at all so 4kids wont bother editing anything in this show,I guess the only thing that would have differs is that we would have got a better opening themes.

I think that Pokémon is the same. I don't care about voices, it's the story, the sad and joyful moment which counts.

pokemon has no story or even sad moments...

I think it would be better. I wont mention the characters voices for fear of being told off. They handled the translation better than PUSA. They threw in more humor and while they weren't as accurate with the translation, they manged to add their own something to it, to make it as enjoyable as it was.
I think if 4kids had still been in charge we would have seen, funnier characters and no doubt some emphasis on romantic relationships, like they did with Ash and Misty. I think, on the whole, the dub would have been considerably better. The theme tunes definitely would have been.

They handled the translation better than PUSA. They threw in more humor and while they weren't as accurate with the translation, they manged to add their own something to it, to make it as enjoyable as it was.
Unless you were saying TPCi "threw in more humor and while they weren't as accurate with the translation, they manged to add their own something to it, to make it as enjoyable as it was.", your two sentences contradict each other since you said "They handled the translation better than PUSA" and then said "they weren't as accurate with the translation,". Which one is it?

Anyways, I think TPCi handled the translation better and is truly the best for handle the dubbing. Yes, the 4Kids' dub was good, but they did SO MUCH more senseless editing (Japanese Writing, Made-Up Language Writing, Food, etc). And after seeing how much LESS edits TPCi does, it only makes sense.

Unless you were saying TPCi "threw in more humor and while they weren't as accurate with the translation, they manged to add their own something to it, to make it as enjoyable as it was.", your two sentences contradict each other since you said "They handled the translation better than PUSA" and then said "they weren't as accurate with the translation,". Which one is it?

Uh, maybe he's saying that an "accurate" translation isn't necessarily the best? I for one wish TPCi would add a bit more whimsy to the script like 4Kids did, make it sound a bit more lively and a bit less like a translated script.

Elesa might sound like a valley girl who's smart at battling. Not that she is one but you know how 4kids loves to stereotype at times (except for being racist like with Jynx and Mr. Popo). Lenora might be safe from being Jynx'd but the apron would have to go.

If 4Kids still dubbed Pokemon, here's what would happen:

- Ash would be voiced by Veronica Taylor again
- Jessie would be voiced by Rachael Lillis again
- James would be voiced by Eric Stuart again
- They would bring back the "4Kids style" BGM

And then my favorite anime, Pokemon, would be back to normal. ^_^

Here's an idea, why didn't they just find some boys to do his voice? But I guess that would have made too much sense than to find 18 year old women with no job.
Haha. Actually, they did do that!! XD

In the beginning, 4Kids brought in Veronica Taylor to voice Ash. Then, they replaced her with a kid. But a little bit later, they fired the kid, and brought back Veronica. =)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom