• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How different would the anime be now if 4Kids still ran the anime and.......

I know how you feel, Griff. It's pretty difficult, especially if you're very attached to the original voices (like I am).

Uh, maybe he's saying that an "accurate" translation isn't necessarily the best? I for one wish TPCi would add a bit more whimsy to the script like 4Kids did, make it sound a bit more lively and a bit less like a translated script.

Yeah, the scripts nowadays sound so stilted and it doesn't feel great. Unlike most, I wouldn't mind if the dub altered the script while staying true to the original version like with FUNimation.

I think Veronica Taylor would've done doble-duty and voiced the next 2 female characters after May, Paul would've been voiced by Dan Green and Trip would've been voiced by Eric Stuart!!

I don't think Veronica Taylor would have voiced any other female characters after May. Most likely Dawn would have been done by someone else.

Then it would be a problem to me. The 4Kids dub of Sinnoh would have been their worst arc yet. They would have gone far as to replace ALL of the music than most. I think music is an important part in Pokemon. The 4Kids tracks by themselves aren't too bad. They are very melodic and catchy in a way. It's just that it will lose alot of musical variety. One of my biggest problems with the later seasons in 4Kids (starting with Johto League Champions) is that they used more of their own music and less of the original music. Yes, they didn't use alot of the original music in the first episodes, but those were kinda like experiments and at least they used more of the original BGM as the 1st season went on. This is a guilty pleasure, but despite my preference being to keep all of the original BGM, if they want to use their own bgm, I rather use all of the Japanese BGM while filling in with their own music (while keeping at least some moments of silence). But still, replacing music is unacceptable to me and I would rather keep things the way they are.

Thank you,
BladeLight52

It'd be better than it is now. If it meant keeping the old voices and intros, then I'd rather have that back than the current dub (not that's it bad: objectively, it's the better dub, but...I don't like it as much).

I can sum up the frequency and severity of 4Kids' edits in just two words.

POKEMON CHRONICLES​

That is what the Pokemon Dub would eventually turn out to be like had it remained under 4Kids' control.

Not even close to THAT bad. You know that's not true.

Last edited:
I know this much...

They would've RUINED Hunter J & Team Galactic, just liked they ruined every damn villain they dubbed :scared: :bheart:. Even Paul would've been messed up.

Hell, OLM probably never would've had the nerve to bring in the likes of J and Paul in the first place if those idiots were still in charge...

Last edited:
OK WHY THE FUCK IS THIS REVIVED

Now that I think of it, some stuff would be lost, VAs post-AG would be different, there would be different theme songs and season titles, and different episode names in general.

And the paint edits.

It would be much better.

Some of the main characters would probably sound better, and the dialogue wouldn't sound so repetitive.

I know this much...

They would've RUINED Hunter J & Team Galactic, just liked they ruined every damn villain they dubbed :scared: :bheart:. Even Paul would've been messed up.

Hell, OLM probably never would've had the nerve to bring in the likes of J and Paul in the first place if those idiots were still in charge...

What could 4Kids have done to Paul? I doubt they would've pulled a Maxie on us. I'm not saying they would do great, but not bad at all.

Somehow, I think 4Kids (judging from their solid VA casting of the main characters and how many dub fans STILL prefer that dub cast), they would've done a fine job casting Paul, Hunter J, and Dawn's voice.

Many of TPCi's additional voice-over pool (as of Season 11) is identical to what we had before. I'll even say it might've been a little better for the dub in Seasons 9 and 10 with 4Kids.

I feel the voice acting, dub music, and dub intro quality was better under their control, if you ask me. It's not like the switch was beneficial in all aspects, if you didn't start watching the org JPN version from the beginning, or understood it. Call them out for their One Piece dub, sure, but their Pokemon dub was actually fine. It wasn't the best, but definitely not bad by any means.

I feel like the most vital aspects of the dub took such a great hit during the switch...to get back maybe 20% more of the original BGM, and a tad more faithful scripting. Overall, I feel the switch has been a downgrade from what we had before, in all honesty.

Heck, 4Kids acknowledged death TWICE in their dub. So, it's not like that would've been a problem for OLM.

Last edited:
This is just a reminder that personal insults aimed at the show's staff are against the rules here on Bulbagarden, and yes, this applies to dub staff too. It is fine for you to express dissatisfaction with their handling of the series, but please avoid insulting the people themselves by calling them "idiots" and the like. There is simply no need for it. Failure to abide by this rule in the future will result in mod action. Thank you.

Last edited:
The voice actors for the main characters would have remained the same. I could see them having the same voices for Iris and Cilan, but I'm not sure who they would have gotten for Dawn and Paul. The openings would be better since they probably would have moved the show to their Saturday morning block after Kids' WB stopped airing it instead of moving it to Cartoon Network. That would have allowed them to make the openings a bit longer, but at the same time, there would be more edits than they would have to deal with on Cartoon Network. They would also change the background music more often. The gap between the two versions might be longer considering how big it was when 4Kids was dubbing the show. 4Kids would also most likely be in better financial shape if they still had Pokemon, although I'm not sure if the situation with Yu-Gi-Oh! would have led them to lose Pokemon too.

While I would have preferred keeping the voice actors and the openings would have been better, those are the only major advantages I could see with 4Kids still dubbing the anime, so I think that TPCI was for the best in a lot of other ways.

I honestly think it would be worse, especially in Sinnoh. I could see 4Kids watering down Hunter J, Team Galactic, Paul, and Chimchar so much. I pretty much gave up on them after all their cock ups on Pokemon Trainers Choice anyway, especially that infamous "Arbok evolves into Seviper" one. If they were still running it now, I wouldn't be shocked if they claimed that Luvdisc evolved into Alomomola.

The voice actors for the main characters would have remained the same. I could see them having the same voices for Iris and Cilan, but I'm not sure who they would have gotten for Dawn and Paul. The openings would be better since they probably would have moved the show to their Saturday morning block after Kids' WB stopped airing it instead of moving it to Cartoon Network. That would have allowed them to make the openings a bit longer, but at the same time, there would be more edits than they would have to deal with on Cartoon Network. They would also change the background music more often. The gap between the two versions might be longer considering how big it was when 4Kids was dubbing the show. 4Kids would also most likely be in better financial shape if they still had Pokemon, although I'm not sure if the situation with Yu-Gi-Oh! would have led them to lose Pokemon too.

While I would have preferred keeping the voice actors and the openings would have been better, those are the only major advantages I could see with 4Kids still dubbing the anime, so I think that TPCI was for the best in a lot of other ways.

I can see where you're coming from. I give lack of editing, better scripts for the protagonists excluding Ash, more original JPN BGM, and faithfulness-wise to TPCi, who has done better in that regard. On the other hand, I give 4Kids the better voices for the main characters, better dub BGM, better scripts for dub TRio and Ash, and better openings.

Both dubbers have their respective pros and cons when all is said and done. Both dubs are fine dubs though. It all comes down to a matter of preference.

Last edited:
I don't think anything would have been too different to be honest. The actual story of DP and BW would be exactly the same, simply because the Japanese writing of the episodes would be the same. The dub never affected the actual story of the episodes since the dub doesn't write the show.

What would be difference is the 4kids translated the dialogue and had characters interact. I suppose Team Rocket and Brock would have been more tolerable in DP with their original voices, but they'd still be stale for the most part.

Better openings except 9 and 12. Much better from 13 on. (I would really like to see a Rival Destinies opening from them, since they would have to use special footage to make it.)
They would have edited EVERY Croagunk jabbing with a black-font-cartoonish-Dawn-dragging-cartoonish-Brock-from-the-ear scene (the same one all the time)... They could also ban every episode where Croagunk stays out after that for too much time for them to edit.
Can you imagine Veronica Taylor voicing Dawn/Iris? Eric Stuart for Paul/Barry/Cilan? Misty's VA for Bianca?

Can you imagine Veronica Taylor voicing Dawn/Iris? Eric Stuart for Paul/Barry/Cilan? Misty's VA for Bianca?

I doubt that they would have had Veronica Taylor voicing Dawn and Iris. I like her, but I don't think she could have pulled something like that off when her young female voice basically sounds like May and I don't think that they would have had her voice every female lead. I definitely don't think that Eric Stuart could have voiced four characters in DP either. I think that they would have gotten the same voice actors for Iris and Cilan that TPCI chose since they're 4Kids regulars too. I could have seen Rachael Lillis voicing Bianca and I probably would have liked that voice more than the one she ended up with.

Why the hell would Veronica Taylor voice Dawn or Iris? Just because she voiced May doesn't mean she would voice every future main female character.

I get the feeling Dawn would have been played by Lisa Ortiz if 4kids dubbed DP.

Thinking with a cool head and anti-4Kids and anti-TPCi sentiment aside:

Pros:
- The original English voice characters would have continued voicing the main characters.
- Better dub scripts for Team Rocket (I'm telling you, Cathcart will go back to his puns and alliterations when TRio become goofballs, wait and watch).
- The dub intros would be epic again and would be well composed and less...generic and bland. Also less about friendship than about being the best you can be and accomplishing your goals.
- The dialogue would be natural between characters, and the voice actors would sound less monotone in delivery.
- I gotta admit, they were really creative and some of the things they did were pretty interesting in a good way.
Cons:
- The pointless "Americanization": While pretty negligible, the sandwiches, crackers, painting signs with kanji on them, etc. is pointless and there's absolutely no need to do that stuff. No "jelly-filled donuts" either.
- The editing. No need to cut the stuff they did.
- Replacing the JPN BGM too much. This is actually a big problem, IMO, because I feel music along with voice acting and nice chemistry between characters really carries the show. I'm not saying TPCi has been doing good at all anymore with this, but 4Kids may have replaced a bit more than they have.
- No insanely stupid mistakes like "Arbok evolves into Seviper!" -_-

Overall, I have a strange feeling the dub would be much better. I feel this change was simply not for the better. Sure, I'll definitely admit we're getting a more uncut and faithful dub, but we're not getting a more genuine and heartfelt show anymore- the emotion is not there anymore, or at least believable in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong: I like the TPCi dub now in BW, and I feel they're doing a great job now. Sarah in particular has gone from my most hated VA on the TPCi dub cast, to my favorite VA they use now. I prefer Taylor, but I feel Natochenny is one of the few who actually puts some heart into her role in the current dub (in BW only).

With that, it's time to say goodbye to my involvement in 4Kids VS. TPCi debates. I'll leave you all with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1c-WBIZqgQ

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom