• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do I spot Pokemon knockoffs

RC821

Reaction score
There are a lot of Pokemon knockoffs. I remember buying a fake Pikachu knockoff when I was young. What are the signs and what I can I do with them?

Normally it’s the box or tag or lack there of that gives it away for me. Also I know this might be hard but a lot of fake merch has hanzi (Chinese characters) and not Japanese Kanji.

If you can’t tell the difference post here or message me and I’ll happily help. I only know tourist level Chinese but I am fluent in Japanese so can spot the difference easily.

I normally take first looks at the manufacturer, who makes the product you are trying to buy? Then I move on to the overall design of the item I am interested in buying, what is the material used to make the item? You also want to be observant of the colors used, ensure they are the proper shade and spread evenly in the right spots.

I like plushies, and when I get any of them they most likely will be pikachu ones, so I ensure the colors and designs are matching the official art. Then I look closely at the details, like the placement of arms, legs, facial pieces, and tail. Sometimes you'll see a funky looking sewing job on some of the products, and those are easily avoidable if you take precautions before buying. When I buy a plushie, it has to be made by the official brand of most pokemon products.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom