• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do people cut out images?

MemeLord23

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what people use to get the official art of the games. I tried doing it with Photoshop, but it doesn't look as good as what they do here. Does anyone know how they do it?

Do you mean the character art? You can usually find them on Google with white/transparent backgrounds.

Do you mean the character art? You can usually find them on Google with white/transparent backgrounds.

Yea, but I mean how do people cut them out. They are usually found on some official background. I tried doing it with the pen tool, but it didn't show much detail.

Yea, but I mean how do people cut them out. They are usually found on some official background. I tried doing it with the pen tool, but it didn't show much detail.

Most of the ones that already have the white/transparent backgrounds didn't originally have a background. Some of them are usually uploaded to official websites for the games.

But personally, for the images with backgrounds, I use the Magic Wand and Eraser tools to get rid of the background. It does take a bit of effort and practice to get it to look good, though.

Most of the ones that already have the white/transparent backgrounds didn't originally have a background. Some of them are usually uploaded to official websites for the games.

But personally, for the images with backgrounds, I use the Magic Wand and Eraser tools to get rid of the background. It does take a bit of effort and practice to get it to look good, though.

So do you have to remove a bit of the background pixel by pixel with the eraser, then finish it with the magic wand? How long does that take?

So do you have to remove a bit of the background pixel by pixel with the eraser, then finish it with the magic wand? How long does that take?

Well not necessarily pixel by pixel. There's two methods I use:

1) For larger images, I start off with the Magic Wand to remove large sections of the background while avoiding the character I'm focusing on. Then I use the Eraser (set to about 10px) to get rid of whatever's left of the background.
2) For smaller images, I use the Eraser to carefully erase the background that's around the character first, then I set the Eraser to a bigger size to get rid of the rest of the background.

How long it takes depends on the image, to be honest. If it's a large image with a lot going on in the background, it might take longer. Like I said, it does take some practice. I hope this was helpful. ^^;

1) For larger images, I start off with the Magic Wand to remove large sections of the background while avoiding the character I'm focusing on. Then I use the Eraser (set to about 10px) to get rid of whatever's left of the background.
2) For smaller images, I use the Eraser to carefully erase the background that's around the character first, then I set the Eraser to a bigger size to get rid of the rest of the background.

How long it takes depends on the image, to be honest. If it's a large image with a lot going on in the background, it might take longer. Like I said, it does take some practice. I hope this was helpful. ^^;

Got it, thanks so much! :D

And I am not sure if you know this, but how do people get the 1280 x 1280 HQ pictures?

And I am not sure if you know this, but how do people get the 1280 x 1280 HQ pictures?

Honestly it depends on what's available. Some images have HQ versions and some don't. On Google Images, you can click a certain image and then click on the image size to see if there's a larger version of it.

you can go to some websites to download, i had collected all character arts with different resolutions from different websites for myself.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom