• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Would you like dual-typed attacks in XY?

• Yes, I would like them. It would offer something new and interesting and more strategy in battles.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • No, it just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's stick with single-typed attacks.

Votes: 86 66.7%
  • Not sure at the moment.

Votes: 21 16.3%

• Total voters
I think that dual-typed moves are a good idea, but should be used sparingly. We don't want to get flooded with dual-type moves, that will just get confusing. Flying Press was done well, it isn't absurdly overpowered, and it makes perfect sense for Hawlucha.

Therefore, I have three requirements for potential future dual-typed moves:

1: There are only a few of them.

2: They aren't overpowered.

3: They make sense, thematically.

Water and Fire don't overlap (save for Water and Dragon being resistant to both), so it'd be good on Ice/Bug/Ground/Steel, neutral to Fire/Grass/Rock, resisted by Water/Dragon... that's actually kinda interesting.

What about Rehisram/Zekrom's signature moves? Part Dragon, or good as is?

Seems like I'm part of the minor that loves the idea of dual type attacks.

No, not the pseudo-dual-type attack that receive STAB from one type but gives damage in another type. Just straightforward two types in one attack. BlackKyurem's Freeze Shock was most likely the immediate candidate I can think up in my head. Just straightforward an Electric/Ice move.

And about the fear of dual type attack that becoming overpowered, IMO just change the effectiveness multipliers, then it will not be as overpowered as one may expected.

IMO dual type attack is not really that complicated as most people expected. After all, by game system mechanics they are just simply multiplication problems.

Why part Dragon? If anything, they should be Ice/Electric and Ice/Fire.
He's talking about Fusion Flare, Blue Flare, Fusion Bolt and Bolt Strike wich would make sense if they were Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon respectively considering Reshiram and Zekrom typing. Ice Burn and Freeze Shock are the ones that should be Ice/Fire and Ice/Electric.

Last edited:
My bad then. I don't really see any reason why the Fusion attacks or their Lv100 signatures should be part Dragon. Well, maybe the Fusion moves just because they are more powerful if used after the other, but not Bolt Strike or Blue Flare.

Dual-type attacks would be an interesting thing to have more of. One to three of each type combination would be cool to have, and every dual-type Pokemon would have the dual-type attack that matches their types. Something I've always wanted to see in general.

Have you caught a Hawlucha yet?

No. I don't even have a 3DS nor Pokemon XY catridge.

Okay. Well, the short version is Flying Press (move) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Long version below:
Flying Press really does do both types simultaneously - official in-game description is "This move is Fighting and Flying simultaneously"; it is SE against Normal/Ice/Dark but not Flying/Poison/Psychic/Ghost/Fairy (Fighting influence), and SE against Grass and Fighting but not Electric (Flying influence). It's also neutral against Bug/Rock/Steel because Fighting and Flying cancel each other out on those types.

So, Pokemon of the following families do take 4x damage from Flying Press:
- Virizion and Chesnaught (already 4x weak to Flying)
- Sneasel/Weavile (already 4x weak to Fighting)
- Snover/Abomasnow (Grass+Ice; also has 4x Fire weakness)
- Nuzleaf/Shiftry and Cacturne (Grass+Dark; also has 4x Bug weakness)
- Deerling/Sawsbuck (Normal+Grass)
- Scraggy/Scrafty and Pangoro (Fighting+Dark; also has 4x Fairy weakness)
- Pirouette Meloetta (Normal+Fighting)

On the flipside, there are Pokemon who take 4x damage from Fighting in general but not Flying Press:
- Aggron (1x; Rock/Steel)
- Bisharp (2x; part Steel)
- Aurorus (2x; part Rock)
- Tyranitar (2x; part Rock)

Last edited:
I like the idea as long as it's used on ONLY a SMALL NUMBER of moves. e.g.

Blaze Kick = fire/fighting
Muddy Water = water/ground
(like the mon that use those moves. If implemented like Flying Press, then the STAB would be for fire and water like they are already)

(like the mon that use those moves. If implemented like Flying Press, then the STAB would be for fire and water like they are already)
I can see Muddy Water, for one, but then you have to consider what happens when the respective types' strengths overlap? E.g. Fire+Fighting vs. Ice or Steel; Water+Ground vs. Fire.

I think duel-typed attacks would be quite confusing. Say we have a duel-type Electric/Flying attack. Who gets the STAB? Only Electric/Flying types? Or both Electric and Flying types?

I think duel-typed attacks would be quite confusing. Say we have a duel-type Electric/Flying attack. Who gets the STAB? Only Electric/Flying types? Or both Electric and Flying types?

It'd work like Flying Press. The attack is listed as one type, which is the STAB type, but does damage for both. Like if a Fighting type uses FP, it'd give STAB. If a Flying type uses FP, it wouldn't.

It'd work like Flying Press. The attack is listed as one type, which is the STAB type, but does damage for both. Like if a Fighting type uses FP, it'd give STAB. If a Flying type uses FP, it wouldn't.

Alright. If that's what we're using as a basis, I guess we already have duel-typed moves. I always figured they'd show up as two on screen, though. Lol.

I can see Muddy Water, for one, but then you have to consider what happens when the respective types' strengths overlap? E.g. Fire+Fighting vs. Ice or Steel; Water+Ground vs. Fire.

using FP as a tempate, those scenarios would end up being very broken. But since so few mon learn them, i think it would be acceptable, like i said, for a VERY small number of moves to minimise confusion. I don't know how exactly it would work, if dual-type Muddy water were used on Camerupt (w/ solid rock) = math i can barely even do. But the damage calculator would do it and we'd end up with examples to help like you've given above.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom