• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do we feel about dual type attacks?

Would you like dual-typed attacks in XY?

• Yes, I would like them. It would offer something new and interesting and more strategy in battles.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • No, it just seems like a bad idea to me. Let's stick with single-typed attacks.

Votes: 86 66.7%
  • Not sure at the moment.

Votes: 21 16.3%

• Total voters

L-05308

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I think of the idea but it sounds like it could be plausible.

I first thourght of this when I hered that some people were considering "Sound" as a new type, I didn't like that because I thought about what would happen to Bug Buzz.

But I realise their are a lot of moves that could fit into two different types; for example the elemental punches. Thunderpunch could be Electric/Fighting?

I realise this could make things very very complicated but Pokemon is already complicated, it's not beyond their capabilities.

I'm sorry, but that would make things just way too complicated.

I barely accepted the concept of triple battles. :/

Imo its already duel type threats from phy/spec & element. To add a 2nd element would offer to much variety.

Rock Paper Scissors with double rock being neutral to paper scissors would just confuse kids the primary market.

No, that would make battles way too complicated. Plus, many of those moves would be overpowered. What I would like to see is more moves that combine when used together, like the elemental Pledges.

I think it would be interesting to have dual type attacks especially for moves that could easily fit into two categories already like the elemental punches but I think it would make it too complicated. However I do like the idea of more moves that are like the pledges to create different combined attacks, which could be used by most Pokemon rather than specific ones.

No, thanks. This would make it too confusing and there's no need to give an attack two types. I'm fine with attacks that change types (e.g., Weather Ball), but dual-typed ones I will have to pass on.

It could be possible. I would like to see what would happen with it. It would be like the Pokémon types themselves, with some (like Water Gun) remaining single type while others (like Scald) could become dual-type. Solarbeam could become Light-and-Grass typed, if there is going to be a light type.

It's an interesting idea, but not one I'm really hoping for. It would make things pretty confusing. Not impossible, but confusing and a bit messy. You'd have to take so many things into consideration when choosing a super effective attack. It would be interesting to try it though, just to see how it would work.

I was thinking about this just the other day. But I do agree with the ones who are saying that it'd be confusing.
But let me try to fire things up: since B2W2 introduced Easy/Normal/Challenge mode for the gameplay, what if dual type moves were a feature exclusive to Challenge mode play?

No, some Pokémon might be confused if they receive dual-type attacks. I would not recommend this idea. Plus the dual-type moves can messing players up.

No. Moves like a Dragon/Fire Dragonbreath would be just plain overpowered. And, say, if a Claydol took an Electric/Bug Electroweb, would it be completely immune to the attack or would the Bug-type hit it super effectively?

I remember discussing this with a friend. I think it's gonna be reeeeaaaally confusing to have dual type moves. Not impossible, but really hard to do.

I'd say it was doable, as long as only there were no more than 10, and the dual-type stuff came in multi-hit attacks. Something like Double-Hit except the first strike was one type and the second strike was another.

It would be too much. Imagine, for example, if X-Scissor becomes Bug/Dark and you were to hit a Psychic Pokémon. It would be an overkill, and I don't think it's necessary. I'll have to pass.

I'm against it as a whole.

However, a move that hit more than once, like Comet Punch, and each hit was of a different type, could be potentially very interesting.

Or a move that changed its type randomly each time you used it.

But as for actual dual type moves? No thanks.

No thanks.

I would imagine that a 16x Super-Effective move would hurt. A lot.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom