• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: How do you access books?

How do you access books?

• Paper books

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • E-Books

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Audiobooks

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I personally only read through audiobooks. I just can't concentrate on written word, book or not. I find it so much easier to take in audio. I exclusively use Audible, and through that I listen to a lot of music biographies, the entire Harry Potter books, a couple history books and some other fiction.

I usually only read when I'm travelling to and from work, or just out and about.

I'm actually the opposite; I find it very difficult to stay focused on audiobooks and prefer to read physical books (I like e-readers for their convenience, I just prefer physical books). Although I will say I get distracted while reading much more now than I used to; when I was younger I could usually breeze through most books within a couple of hours, but now it takes me a few days because I just can't get into that zone like I used to.

I'm similar with the above post in that it's kind of hard for me to focus on audiobooks, to me some voices for them are either too annoying or boring. I prefer reading physical books, though I'll read e-books too if a book in question is only purchased that way, since it's easier for me to concentrate on the story. Plus I like coming up with voices in my mind for the characters in a story and audiobooks ruin that for me. (it's also why I hated class reading in high school whenever the teacher picks who to read next)

I prefer paper books for non-work/uni reading. I can sit in a chair or lie on my stomach or back reading them and it's a nice break from spending all day staring at a computer screen.

For textbooks and research papers, I prefer .pdf's. Not only are they cheaper ($5 for a .pdf vs $200 for the damn textbook??) and easier to find (I literally have no idea how to get my hands on a physical copy of a research journal), but it's much easier to lug my laptop with the .pdf's on it to uni/work than a bunch of textbooks. Plus, I tend to keep my textbooks and .pdf's take up muuuuuuch less space :confused:

I really can't do audiobooks. Like others have said in this thread, it's hard for me to concentrate. I do alright when a professor is speaking and I'm taking notes, but often in phone conversations or just listening to the telly instead of watching it I have a hard time paying attention because my eyes are somewhere other than the source of the words. At least in person I can focus on the person to keep me focused on the conversation. Audiobooks, I imagine, would give me the same problem. And I certainly can't listen to them while driving because I already know for a fact that I am not capable of concentrating on driving if someone is speaking to me. This is why I refuse to answer phone calls when I'm driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom