• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about Ash being in Pokemon X/Y Series?

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
I found out yesterday and I'm kind of pissed. I know I know it should be expected that Pikachu is the mascot and that Ash has been there since day one...

Yeah, so anyway I heard it will debut in Japan on October 17th with no word on a dub for us in the U.S. YET but of course we can expect it.

So, what is your opinion on this? Are you happy, sad, annoyed? Or you really could careless because the game is coming out soon!

I guess this MIGHT give more speculation that Iris and Cilan are no longer going to be in the show anymore and if this is the case, good riddance I say!

There is already a special section to discuss the XY series, so I'm going to move this thread over there. There's also a speculation thread about Iris and Cilan leaving here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f716/will-iris-cilan-continue-travelling-ash-152730/

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with it. I can understand why people would be unhappy, but Ash and Pikachu are the main characters, so they're sticking around for the long haul. I just hope that Ash won't make as many terrible mistakes in his battles with his Pokemon like he did in BW.

That's like asking me what I think of the sky still being blue, or my opinion on how I feel about fresh sausages tasting the same as the last sausage I ate.

It's not even that I went through some sort of acceptance phase, I have just never expected Ash to leave the show. He is the show.

Indifferent. I wouldn't have minded if he had left the show this series - if he didn't lose any of his skills this series and had actually won the Unova League, that is - but I'm also okay that he's still around. I have simply accepted that he's (almost certainly) going to remain on the show until the anime ends.

Sort of indifferent, as well. It was expected that he'd be back, as there was no indication of him not coming back. Though, I would not have minded if he'd been replaced out of the blue.

His artwork, however, does make him look a bit more mature, so I have hope that there won't be so much disappointment with him still being in the show this time around.

If he left after the relative high of Sinnoh perhaps I'd have been okay with him leaving (I'd still rather he stay), but not after what happened to his character in BW. After investing so much time following Ash's journey, I couldn't deal with it if he left after one of the lowest points in it.

I'm happy he is staying for XY and hope he's there for the one after that too.

Can anyone honestly say this surprised them? Ash isn't going anywhere anytime soon, neither is Pikachu. TV Tokyo isn't going to call Rica Matsumoto or Ikue Otani and fire them after working with them for over 15 years.

I think Ash should retire but I think the writers want to keep him in, don't make him the main guy. Have him train Calem & Serena. I don't hate Ash but I think it's time for him to step aside. Who knows, maybe Ash is being tortured by Oak and Oak is forcing him to go to new regions against his will.

I know I might sound “slow” but man I can’t believe that I just found out “officially” about this a couple of days ago. Re-started my HeartGold 4 days ago and that’s the only “Pokemon stuff” I’ve been into lately.

Anyway, yeah I’m not surprised per say about Ash still being in the series. The fact that 3 of the X/Y Pokemon will be debuting soon kind of confirmed it and that was announced awhile ago. In any case, I didn’t know a thread was already talking about this subject, my bad the same goes from Cilan/Iris departure.

True, I hope he does have that kind of mentor thing going again. I remember he taught May basics of battling and catching Pokemon, the same with Dawn. What really was cool about Dawn and Ash learned from each other. Dawn developed “Spin Dodge” and Ash took that move all the way to form the Counter Shield. From Grotle swallowing Energy Ball, Dawn used that technique on Mamoswine for contests. For May, it seemed more like she was using Ash’s battle style in contest battle rounds.

Moving on, I am praying with every fiber in me that Pikachu isn’t reset. But really what has the mouse done this series that was remarkable in terms of “believable” power. He lost to a starter Pokemon Snivy, fired a HUGE Electro-Ball after absorbing the legendary Genie from Aladdin’s Thunder Attack (ok it was Thunderous but still he is blue so I like the comparison) and did a ridiculous win over Serperior. Not sure if the mouse really went into real combat like in DP you know?

All I can say is that I hope X/Y has a much better start than this series did. I hope we are right in assuming that BW was more like a “filler” region you know to use trial-error to see what works and what doesn’t like only having Ash looking for badges while his companions pretty much don’t have sidetracking goals like Contests for example. However, with the series running as long as it is you’d think the writers would have known better by now.

In any case, glad to get some feedback on this topic. I can’t believe it is already July! Before you know it we’ll all be talking about how awesome (hopefully) the games are and being able to enjoy the series. I really hope it is god considering how much hype the new games are getting. A new series that is just as good or even better would be the icing on the cake!

Overall, I just hope he isn't a noob again! Seriously, the reunion with Charizard episode is probably #1 of the BW series so far. Not just because of the flashbacks and whatnot of Pre-BW Ash but the fact that he was competent this episode, showing that he knew things his companions didn't especially that bitch Iris...

And seeing him battle with Charizard vs. Dragonite; when was the last time you've seen Ash act confident in battle with a Pokemon that can deliver the goods along with him commanding it with such skill.

Im glad this is the case because i still like and appreciate Ash character fully supporting his stay for Kalos region. He has been in pokemon since beginning, everything started through his journey and quest of becoming pokemon master so its only fitting that he stays in this show until pocket monsters franchise comes to an end.

While he can annoy me sometimes i still find myself being able to enjoy in his hasty, stubborn and naive personality having big passion for pokemon, restless spirit wanting to learn about new things and explore world. Along with working on his skills, learning on past flaws and finding how to overcome future obstacles coming closer toward his ultimate aim.

Ash was always one of my favorites. I liked him both before when he was immature rookie,being extremely stubborn and strong headed and enjoyed following his development he made through all this years becoming more mature and more creative when it comes to battling strategies using his had more often at same time still having his quirks being funny and dense at times but also having that feeling of responsibility too.

I know BW dumb him down a bit, but that was mainly because of BW games revamp and fresh start which reflected unfortunately terrible on his performance and credibility. If anything return of long time comrade Charizard giving us insight in his history showing he is actually experienced trainer having many sagas behind himself gave me certain dose of hope of his story and development being treated better, in more meaningful way. Especially when BW series didn't had positive reception at all(something which doesn't surprise me).

In short writers tried to do complete revamp with story and characterization succumbing anime to BW games mantra, this backfired heavily and they failed. Now its time that they redeem for their past mistakes and bring Ash storyline back on right track following up on progress established in DP. Fans which are willing to forget did their job, now its their turn to restore lost faith among audience and increase quality.

As such im curious to find out what new pokemon he may catch, new people he is going to meet and see him made further steps forward actually coming closer toward achievement of his dreams. Who knows perhaps Kalos as 7th region he is traveling through turns out to be lucky number finally witnessing that he wins league(something he was unfairly denied of back in DP).

Yes i know some are sick of him, wants new protagonist etc, etc. but as far as im concerned in long running show like Pokemon having some consistency and balance is needed. To have someone who is going to represent this show standing out for it, in who you are going to emotionally invest and grow attached to making you want to stick with anime to see those you care about succeeding, struggling and passing through various bumps life throws in front of them while being on road to become what they wanted,. To make you stay interested into it until things resolve and those you like succeed in what they wanted.

Otherwise its pointless for me to invest into some show if protagonists are going to be replaced like live stock not having chance to experience seeing someone getting developed over long period of time , explore on background, his personality and unknown things we might not have been aware of seeing Ash portrayed in new, different interesting light when utilizing knowledge he had from before applying it in future, more complex challenges set in front of himself. Something i particularly enjoyed in AG and DP getting sequel , follow up of what was done before.

Needless to say it would be very disappointing for me to see Ash leave after BW on such low,miserable note not being given chance to redeem himself as character and make us remember him in positive, memorable light.
That's not ending suitable for someone which embodiments this show finding his own place in whole thing deserving to be long lived.

If writers upgrade their writing i would rather want to see that improvement translating to Ash going on bigger, better things receiving sequel. As opposite to following newbie dealing with basics rinse and repeat.

Seeing some of older friends like Misty, May, Brock coming back in Kalos as part of cast(like N did) to get update and have them advance and evolve as trainers wouldn't had hurt either bringing more continuity into this anime helping in restoring Ash reputation.:D

Last edited:
I was hoping for a new protagonist, though I figured Ash most likely would be returning. Now it all depends on how he's handled. Hopefully it'll be better than BW and he'll actually have some maturity and good battles.

I was hoping for a new protagonist, though I figured Ash most likely would be returning. Now it all depends on how he's handled. Hopefully it'll be better than BW and he'll actually have some maturity and good battles.

You summed it up perfectly xD

The way the series starts is the foundation of the rest of it. Seriously BW just didn't do it for me;
-The reason Ash went to Unova
-His first battle in the region
-Pikachu's reason for being "de-powered"
-Ash's traveling companions

And the list goes on...

But more on point, I just hope he doesn't do stupid stuff right off the bat. Back in Kanto, him trying to catch Pidgey by using his book bag I think since Pikachu refused to listen to him was more funny than stupid like him in Unova throwing Pokeballs off the bat to catch Pidove and others.

You know I think the worst part about it is Iris since she constantly scolds him for doing stupid stuff when she isn't an expert herself. That just made the series worse in my opinion. Heck, they should have made her the recurring rival instead of a Paul or Gary we'd finally have a female rival for Ash. Its a shame, in my opinion I feel she was an "annoying rival" more than a companion for Ash...

I'm fine with him staying around. I only hope that he'll be treated better during XY and won't be an almost complete noob like in BW. That's all I ask.

That's the thing about what Pokemon fans want and what we actually get; a simple request such as Ash not being a dumbass is a small request but we can't even get that request fulfilled right...

I am not surprised, while I'm unhappy he's still in the anime, I just hope they make him more competent than he was in Best Wishes.

I am not surprised, while I'm unhappy he's still in the anime, I just hope they make him more competent than he was in Best Wishes.

Likewise and not to jump off subject but I hope Pikachu gets a better move next season as well, de-powering it is one thing but once they got rid of Volt Tackle for Electo Ball I just lost all hope in the series...

I really hope they fix that :/

I don't know why people were hoping for him to be kicked off the anime just because the writers treated him like a rag doll this season. It shouldn't mean he should leave after all these years. If you find Ash boring, then maybe a new anime would be good. I never had a problem with him as a main characters because he's been one for so long. Since the writers have Ash going through some let downs, it might mean the same thing for another protagonist as well, so what's the point since they like to advertise more than make sense of things?

I don't know why people were hoping for him to be kicked off the anime just because the writers treated him like a rag doll this season. It shouldn't mean he should leave after all these years. If you find Ash boring, then maybe a new anime would be good. I never had a problem with him as a main characters because he's been one for so long. Since the writers have Ash going through some let downs, it might mean the same thing for another protagonist as well, so what's the point since they like to advertise more than make sense of things?

Spoken just like Trip :/

To me its mainly about how they dealt with Ash when compared to other series where the main character doesn't age at all when it is clear that years and years have went by;
Timmy Turner; Fairly Odd Parents
Rugrats; they had a sequel but still they were babies for a LONG time
Wild Thornberries and yeah the list goes on

Heck, how long was Peter Parker in high school/college again?

But all other cartoons aside, making money is their #1 prize. Its just a shame we don't have a good anime like back in the early sagas or DP :(

It would have been kind of weird replacing him at this point; it would have made more sense at the start of practically any other regional saga except this one:

*Johto obviously because he was based off Red and they would have had a G/S-based protagonist (although the Orange Islands would have been different/not happened), plus this was still early enough on that having a new protagonist was not that farfetched. Personally I would have liked this outcome the best but that's neither here nor there.
*Hoenn because it was the first time the anime really changed itself and was the beginning of a second series--since Kanto and Johto were grouped together under the same series it wouldn't have been unusual to have the same protagonist and then have him replaced after that series ended, and since May was introduced having Brendan as a main protagonist/co-star would have made sense.
*Sinnoh because of how the DP series was promoted and how Dawn seemed like a new main protagonist in the first episode.
*Unova because of the sense of newness that both the main series games and the anime recieved.

But there doesn't seem to have been any reason that Ash wouldn't be in this series. Putting aside all of the reasoning like "he's been with it for 15+ years" and "Pikachu is the mascot of the entire Pokemon franchise", and the statement that was given in an interview which I believe said something along the lines of Ash and Pikachu being in the anime until the end of time, there weren't any real facts that could form a legitimate argument for his not returning like "the series is getting a huge reboot" or "the writers were writing a perfect ending to his story". I'm personally not surprised in the slightest, instead I was (and still am) more curious about how his character is going to be treated.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom