• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about Ash/Satoshi capturing so many Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How do you feel about Ash capturing so many Pokemon?

Now, we have a super-developed Oshawott, a Snivy with thousand faces, an abandon-issue Tepig with great expectations to itself. Even Pidove showed some feelings! (How exciting a bird can get anyway...?) A mean Palpitoad, a wild-tempered baby Scraggy and a piece of rock named Roggenrola which was surprisingly lifelike despite having no face. Okay, Swadloon can be called nothing. A maximum of 7-8 filler episodes which featured barely any advancement in protagonist pokemon characteristics.

I agree that the majority of these Pokémon have potential, but the writers aren't taking them anywhere (sans Oshawott). I want more than just personalities, though; I want development, too. The writers haven't exactly been perfect at juggling Ash's team in past sagas either, which is all the more reason he shouldn't be capturing more Pokémon now and especially this early in the series. At least the writers had more of an excuse not to have Ash's team as developed by now in DP since Dawn was a more prominent character and was having her team developed, as well.

It would make sense if they had Ash do this anytime before, but it just seems pretty out of character to catch so many Pokémon in such a short space of time. Of course I'm fearing that some Pokémon will be neglected due to the ridiculous amount of Pokémon he has to juggle - when was the last time Hatoboh did anything of importance?

It would make sense if they had Ash do this anytime before, but it just seems pretty out of character to catch so many Pokémon in such a short space of time. Of course I'm fearing that some Pokémon will be neglected due to the ridiculous amount of Pokémon he has to juggle - when was the last time Hatoboh did anything of importance?
Episode 34 33, the Rigray episode.

Last edited:

is nice but I hate his pokemons never evolve, in Sinnoh is the only region where almost all pokemons of Ashie evolved

I'm sure most of his Unova Pokemon will evolve, give it time.

While I do like the fact Ash *is* finally catching so many pokemon, I'm not so pleased about the fact that he's getting them all effectively one right after the other. Where's the character development for them? Where are the writers going to find *time* for said development(especially since BW is likely to wind up Hoenn-minus-BF-size at absolute most, presuming Ash both wins the League *and* has a post-League Unova journey)?

It also doesn't help that it's beginning to feel like we're back in the bad old days when Ash just let his pokemon pick up new tricks as they came instead of actively working towards them(the training sequence between the Nacrene Gym battles was general speed/strength training---for Tepig and Oshawatt---that just happened to result in them learning new attacks, not focused skill training for new techniques or battle tactics).

Also, while I can see the need for versatility in terms of physical/special moves, splitting them up among *different* pokemon of the same type (Snivy/Swadloon, Oshawatt/Palpatoad) strikes me as being *needlessly* redundant, especially when the new pokemon are using techs of that type that are *already* accessible to the predecessor via training.

In short, the writers are taking a great idea and thoroughly mishandling it in (almost) every way possible at the moment.

I think its kind of an interesting idea. Everyone complained about how Ash never caught a lot of Pokemon before, and now he finally is, so ha! Even though I don't watch the new stuff or even like the Pokemon he's catching, I'm glad they're doing it.

In my opinion, the anime has been getting more similar to the games lately, and catching a lot of Pokemon is deffinitely game-esque

I think the idea was good, but it won't work if not all of them get character development.

In the older days, well, every other saga up 'til BW, I was so mad because Ash, whenever "helping out" a Pokemon in some random episode and totally could have benefited from adding that POkemon to the mix and just walks off. I thought Trainers were supposed to catch Pokemon, but he pretends to be a oblivious to the whole situation. At some time, he would get crazy for absolutely no reason about a Pokemon but not at others? Massive personality hole.

They fixed that in BW. Ash is doing what every fricken' one of us is doing in our games. (Which came first? Oh! The games!) Ash is finally catching Pokemon, no matter what rate he was catching them at or whatever. I'm happy. Another thing: people are made at the temporary Pidove (at the time)/Sewaddle switch. Reason: someone on this very forum quipped how Pidove was the obligatory first-route Flying-type, which it is. Sewaddle has 4 billion times more character and personality than the dove did or has, regardless of evolution (anyone notice how Swadloon evolves almost on top of Tranquill?). The dove is there for obligatory reasons (Pidgeotto, Noctowl, Swellow, Staraptor).

The rotation makes alot more sense, considering Ash's battle style. He typically says "screw the types" and chugs on in. Vs. Cilan, obvious. Having Torterra without Ground moves fight Paul's Drapion...in as little a way as Grotle (no speed) vs. Rhyperior (no speed). Ash has a thing for showing you what's up with unconventional...everything. Tactics, type-matchups, team choices...duh. Same old Ash, only with a third dimension as diverse Pokemon pool.

I don't see why him getting so many Pokemon is a good thing. The writers prove they have no clue how to balance screentime among the main cast, and the more that gets added, the worse it gets. If Ash gets too many some of these pokemon may not even get a single Gym battle.

I like seeing Ash catching lots of Pokemon, I just wish he would evolve them more often.

Like many others, I like that he's acquiring more than five Pokemon in a saga to allow some swapping for more variety and to keep us guessing who's currently in his party somewhat, but he's capturing too many for my tastes and which may cause imbalanced screentime for them.

As someone mentioned the little kid inside of me is so excited to see all the captures but just disappointed at how poorly they've been handled. I think this is why I feel Hoenn handled pokemon amongst the main cast best, the starters were split up and the classic bug type was shifted on to May and with Jessie getting one as well created an interesting twist. Ash obviously kept the regional bird but there has to be some common ground and I personally see think he suits the birds anyway. I was disappointed he was given grass/water/fire but common ground was needed and they suited Ash's unpredictability in battles. Sinnoh mixed a little as well but he was given Buizel which annoyed me although they did suit each other.

I do like the rotation if they hadn't been caught in such rapid succession with little development but people say it's a reboot sort of series so he may just be doing what he did in Kanto/Orange Islands (selfconsciously) with Palpitoad/Krabby, Roggenrola/Muk and Scraggy/Tauros or Snorlax as he doesn't use Tauros much.

But if it not I'd of loved just a Pikachu, Oshawott, Pidove, Scraggy remaining and add Larvesta instead of Swaddle and Tepig or the Venipede and a Litwick. A Ferroseed or maybe the Cottonee he helped out to cover the grass typing. Then just the Palpitoad and Roggenrola and possibly the Sandile to take it upto 8 or 9. Snivy would be with Trip and Bianca will have the Tepig/Pignite to cover the starters which will differentiate it from other regions.

I like the fact that he's catching enough Pokémon to actually have to switch around his team - it fits in with the games - but it annoys me how he acts like such a... noob about it. I haven't seen any of the Best Wishes episodes, but apparently he was surprised that he couldn't carry more than six Pokémon with him? He's been able to finish every league in a high position, and he doesn't know something as simple as that, even though he'd already gone through it once before (I forget with which Pokémon - a Corphish, or something?). With him being able to switch Pokémon around in his team, he shouldn't have as much trouble with Gym Leaders/Rivals like he always does. Him capturing lots of Pokémon is great, but it seems to be happening a little too quickly, though.

I think its obvious at this point that only the starters are going to get any proper screentime this saga. Everything else is just going to be used as a battle machine, so it doesn't matter how many pokemon Ash captures.

I don't see why him getting so many Pokemon is a good thing. The writers prove they have no clue how to balance screentime among the main cast, and the more that gets added, the worse it gets. If Ash gets too many some of these pokemon may not even get a single Gym battle.

Truth is: Some people doesn't care about balanced screentime. And you can't win everybody.

Love the fact he's doing it, but its being handled in the worst possible way and I think we should all get used to the idea that most of his pokemon won't get a good amount of development. Seeing as this is currently a semi-reboot of the series I think the writers are trying to have Ass build up the amount of pokemon he has available, so that in the League/Post-League arc/next gen he'll have a decent amount of pokemon to switch in and out of his roster.

As long as these pokemon are seen battling at the very least a few times over the course of the saga, I don't care which pokemon Ash ends up obtaining for himself. I feel that since the majority of these pokemon will be dropped in the next saga, there is very little use complaining that the writers have decided to allow Ash to catch certain pokemon.

First and foremost, I want Ash to actually use a variety of pokemon in his battling. The writers have given Ash at least nine pokemon to experiment with in the Unova region, yet he keeps on using Pikachu and the starter pokemon in the majority of his matches. If the writers are somehow able to provide screentime for Ash's other pokemon (Swadloon, Tranquill, Palpitoad, and Roggenrola), I will be content with their captures knowing that they were justified.

Truth is: Some people doesn't care about balanced screentime. And you can't win everybody.

Add to this that the writers can never truly balance out screentime equally between all of the group's pokemon. Some pokemon will always receive more screentime over others. Some pokemon will have more developed backstories or personalities over others. The writers are focusing on the starters and Pikachu because they are advertising material. This could also apply to Ash's Scraggy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom