• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about getting three different starters?

Vance

Reaction score
Now that it's confirmed that you can get Johto, Kanto, and Hoenn starters, how do you feel about it? I think it's a good idea, but starters always felt rare and a little special to me. Putting three in a game kinda takes out the whole point of having a "starter".

Last edited:
I think it was a pretty good idea to put 3 starters in it. But, I think it is a bit strange that they put them, because, they're starters, meaning, you get them at the start of the game.

I think it was a pretty good idea to put 3 starters in it. But, I think it is a bit strange that they put them, because, they're starters, meaning, you get them at the start of the game.
I guess, since they are called starters it would make sense to get them at the beginning of the game. But Pokemon Yellow allowed you to get every starter and you didn't get them all at the start of the game, so...

Besides, it's kinda neat that you'll be able to obtain at least 2 other starters. I'm going to pick Cyndaquil, Squirtle and Treecko.

By the time you get the other two, it doesn't matter, since you could have probably gotten them in a trade or whatever long before them.

I like that they have tha Johto and the Kanto starters, or rather, I like the way they went about it. You start your journey on Johto so obviously, you're gonna get a Johto starter. You befriend Prof. Oak and he gives you a Kanto starter when you reach his lab...in Kanto. It's like if you're starting a Kanto journey.

The Hoenn starters...I like them being in the game, but I think they should have been obtained in Hoenn or at least from Prof. Birch.

Although I don't mind that Steven gives them to you...it's just, I feel that they should be given out in Hoenn, that's all.

All in all, I like it. Sure, it takes a bit of the "specialness" factor away, but you do get three sets of starters and it's not like you can get all three immediately just 'cuz. The events activating them have to be unlocked and there's a good long journey to go through before you can trigger each event

I personally felt that Kanto and Hoenn Starters are too close to each other based on timeline. Kanto, you need to have 8 badges, while Hoenn, you just need to defeat Red. I think we will be fine with Hoenn Starters because to me, they are hard to obtain IMO.

For me it doesn't matter since I have all the Hoenn starters in Diamond and I have all of the Kanto starters in FireRed. However there's no problem with getting more of them. It also helps people who gave up on Pokémon when the GBA games were around and came back for the DS games.

I'm happy with it. The starters are cool and help complete Pokedex - why would you not be happy?

i'm not phased that they added the starters in
it just makes it eaiser to get every pokemon in one generation

meh, it's not like you're gonna train a level 5 pokémon at that point in the game anyway (except for competative uses)

I think its a nice little rewardfor all your hard work and encourage you to keep on going. I like that Prof. Oak gives you a Kanto starter, to me that makes perfect sense. As for Hoenn starters, I think that's a bit out of place but cool nonetheless.

There's no reason to complain about this. OP Vance says the starters are too rare in the main games and thus having three of four sets in one single game is like making them cheap. But I don't think so, after all, you only get one starter per set, so the tradition of receiving only one region starter per game still stands (unlike Yellow, where you get the three starters of the same region and no one complained about it).

Not to mention the fact that, as Zeta said, by the time you get them at he end of the game, you'll probably have already traded for them via Wi-Fi.

Personally, as I already own one Ruby and one Emerald version with a different starter each (Torchic and Mudkip respectively), I'll choose Treecko and I'll have the three Hoenn starters. But for Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh I only have (or will have, in the case of HGSS) one version, so I still need to trade for the other two starers of each region (which means 6 starters getting via trades).

My real complaint now is: when did it became 'official' that Professors give away starter Pokémon? Unlike tha anime, in the games that wasn't never said or even implied except for Platinum. In RB, the starters were Oak's last Pokémon and he gives you one because youre a friend of his and you're starting your journey. In GSC, the starters are Pokémon Elm was studying at the moment and he lent you one for running his errand (it's after Oak gives you the Pokédex that Elm lets you keep your starter); and in RSE and DP, the starters are the Pokémon that Birch and Rowan carry for field work, but the player somehow ends up taking one. See? They are not like their anime counterparts who do give away starter Pokémon to everyone, so I'm not quite pleased with the fact that Oak does that in HGSS. I would have prefered that you got your Kanto starter in a different way (like how you obtain your Hoenn starter, for instance).

Last edited:
^ Said it best.

I don't really mind having 3 sets of Starters available. It's always nice to get extra Pokémon for any reason they come up with. It also helps to keep the games on the current system, which, before HGSS, would be impossible. You'd still depend on the GBA games, and while that's not bad, it's not too good on the pocket.

I'm happy with it. The starters are cool and help complete Pokedex - why would you not be happy?

I'm pretty happy, it's just it feels kinda weird being able to get more than one starter. When it comes out, though, I'm probably going to go crazy over them. I'm just weird like that =)

Not that it's important...I have all the starters in Platinum already:D
I was going to transfer two over to SS when I get it too, so that I will have three starters from three different generations >:3 Originally I thought of having Treecko, Totodile and Charmander, but I may use Turtwig instead of Treecko because I use Sceptile in Plat and Torterra is half ground-type.

Now that it's confirmed that you can get Johto, Kanto, and Hoenn starters, how do you feel about it? I think it's a good idea, but atarters always felt rare and a little special to me. Putting three in a game kinda takes out the whole point of having a "starter".

I don't get why they did this at all. It makes no sense to me at all. Since they did that, they should have added Sinnohfags because these games are IV gen anyways. I'll still get the 3 starters, but it's seriously lame.

Dont like cause its just another reason the games are over the top rediculous to me already. They come off as the you can get everything game thus defeating the purpose of it deal.. However Steven freakin Stone gives you a hoen starter. Not Hoen Prof who's name I will never remember.. THANK GOD not Wallace. But Steven random freakin Stone. The guy who so kindly left me a beldum to steal on his table.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom